With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Lag and Squelch

Postby Sardonicus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Newtown, Backwater, and Dawnfort... no matter what server I am on these three maps always give me lag and squelch. In the case of dawnfort and newtown the squelch can get so bad as to make the game unplayable. Does anyone else experience this? any ideas for a solution? As it stands now I just have to sit out when those maps come up.

Thanks

~peace
Sardonicus
Drifter

Postby Bart202 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm

1 solution -> buy a new pc.
It's because mappers didn't use fastclip in their maps, the computer have to do more for compiling the map and load it. That's why.
Maybe try out to change fps number.
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby a.k47 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 pm

@Bart202
Not everyone has got money for a new pc: D :D
Which version do you use Sardonicus? The 1.1b4 version or the normal 1.0 one?

best regards
a.k47
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Sardonicus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey thanks Bart. As a.k47 says, there is no money for a new pc in the near future but I will definitely look into changing the fps.. not very tech savvy but I'm sure I can figure it out.

@a.k47

I am using the 1.0 version.
I have used the update but reverted after only a few days because of the issues i ran into; crashing, freezing.
Sardonicus
Drifter

Postby MAKOTO » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 am

I have lag in ALL servers :(.

Minimum ping is 180-200 in Paladin.

Don't give up! We need players! If i can play, u can play too :D.
MAKOTO
Shootist

Postby a.k47 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:54 am

@ Sardonicus

ehmm...there is a little bug in the 1.1b4 version...you need another smokinguns.exe, not the one you install with the update..here it is: http://www.file-upload.net/download-412 ... s.exe.html
you have to install the 1.1b4 version in the 1.0 version and then take that .exe file and exchange it with the one you see in the installation-folder.

The 1.1b4 version is here:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-412 ... e.zip.html

@Makoto
Many players say, that's very bad to use timenudge and maxpackets, but in my opinion you can use it if you can better play with it( i use not the highest variable for timenudge etc) I think you know these commands, but for other people i can post them here: timenudge: /cl_timenudge -50(normal worth is 0) maxpackets: /cl_maxpackets 150 (the normal woth is 30)

I hope that will help you both ;)

best regards
a.k47 :P
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Sardonicus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:48 am

Thanks a lot for the info and the links A.k47 I will definitely try to update again because I am itching to try some of those cool new maps I saw.

About the timenudge and maxpackets commands, do I have to enter those manually every time I play?

@MAKOTO

No worries, I will not give up, I have too much fun for that! :)

~peace
Sardonicus
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 am

If this can be of some help for you, have a look at the FAQ in *LAME* clan site: http://lameclan.altervista.org/blog/smokinguns/faq-frequently-asked-questions/. It's nothing news, since the FAQ are based on the Smokin’ Guns Manual and on BalleBude pages, but we tried to keep the things easy. So you'll probably find useful some hints about SG configuration, SG beta installation, and so on.

About negative timenudge, see: http://lameclan.altervista.org/blog/timenudge/.
I don't use it, but I don't think that a negative timenudge gives you an advantage over other players, while it can help to reduce the feeling of a laggy game.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby a.k47 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 pm

@ Sardonicus:
You're welcome...about your question: no, if you write these commands in console ( this thing: ^ ) it will stay there, so you don't need to write it every time.

If you have any questions about sg, you can write a PM to me...

best regards
a.k47
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Sardonicus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 am

Hey, thanks for all the feedback fellas.

@a.k47 thanks again for the help, I updated and again ran into the same problems.. freezing, and lagging, and now even shutting down without warning. So after a few days I have once again reverted to the 1.0 version, I guess my old pc just doesn't have the guts for it. I have found that playing those three maps windowed really helps though, so I will have to be happy with that for now.

I gotta say that I really liked all those new maps on Terra Nova and was surprised and disappointed to find nobody there...ever. Over several days I kept going back randomly and never saw a soul, what's up with that?

@Biondo thanks a lot for links, I can't believe I didn't know about the \bind commands, that has already saved my life many times. :)

Cheers.
Sardonicus
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 am

A last thing you can try is disabling OpenAL, this solved the problem for me, in one notebook. That means edit your q3config.cfg (if you don't know what it is and where it is, read the FAQ in *LAME* site) and change the line:

Code: Select all
seta s_useOpenAL "1"

to:
Code: Select all
seta s_useOpenAL "0"

Sardonicus wrote:I gotta say that I really liked all those new maps on Terra Nova and was surprised and disappointed to find nobody there...ever.
If you want to be sure to find someone in Terra Nova, connect on Thursdays' evening (20:30 Central Europe Time) when almost all *LAME* clan plays there.

Sardonicus wrote:@Biondo thanks a lot for links, I can't believe I didn't know about the \bind commands, that has already saved my life many times. :)
You are welcome!
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel