With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Your experiences with SG 1.1 beta 5a :

It works like a charm (better than SG 1.0)
65%
It works well (as good as SG 1.0)
35%
It does not work very well (worst than SG 1.0)
No votes
It was terrible (please explain why)
No votes

Total votes : 23

Re: Beta testing on 1.1 beta 5a

Postby torhu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:59 am

I played a bit on one of the servers without noticing anything wrong, so I voted the second option.

I'm a bit concerned by the missing backwards compatibility, do we know why?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:43 pm

torhu wrote:I'm a bit concerned by the missing backwards compatibility, do we know why?

various pk3s got modified, therefor they aren't loaded on a pure-server and the game "crashes" due to missing qvm
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby MsH » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Downloaded and tested. I didnt notice much differences between this and 1.1b4.
Is there added some new maps? I didnt found my poor deadwood :? |D
Game works fine.
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Biondo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 pm

I agree with MsH, we have a lot of fun new maps made by different mappers. Probably they should be included by default in SG 1.1 beta5.
I know that you devs have to test how the beta behaves in a vanilla install, but don't forget to include finished new maps in next official release.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 pm

I agree. There are more really good maps out there than included right noe. Tijuana, Deadwood are totally great and should be added e.g.

If you've been bad - Lord I bet you have

And you've not been hit by flying lead

You'd better close your eyes, bow your head

Wait for the ricochet

ricochet
Quick Draw

Postby Biondo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Lago, Ghost Town, Station, Harbor... I can't name them all.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Bodie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:04 am

Wasn't ReD coordinating the whole mapping effort? What about Henry's brilliant mini warehouse 2vs2 map? I think he gave you all the rights to it, as long as it's included and I'd very much want it to be included.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 pm

rane wrote:Wasn't ReD coordinating the whole mapping effort?

I was, then I got realy busy around Joe's release and didn't get things put together.
Biondo wrote:Lago, Ghost Town, Station, Harbor... I can't name them all.

rane wrote:What about Henry's brilliant mini warehouse 2vs2 map?

1. Lago: should have been included in 1.1b5, but 1.1b5 was semi-un-official
  2. Comanche Canyon: should have been included in 1.1b5, but 1.1b5 was semi-un-official
  3. DeathVallyMine: couldn't get it done in time. My PC was in storage for a month.
  4. Ghost Town: what ghost town? Every mapper on the forums has made a ghost town!
  5. Station: Donot's map, Donut is dev now, but he just got access to our content repo
  6. Harbor: Donot's map, Donut is dev now, but he just got access to our content repo
  7. mini warehouse: Henry's map was an oversight. I hope to get it included next time.
  8. Tijuana: Lon's map was an oversight. I hope to get it included next time.

I think we kick around the idea of a few other maps. But I don't think anything was decided. Its hard to decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. It has to either play good and/or look good. Its too much effort to come up with a grading system as we don't have that many contributor maps.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Pardner wrote:Ghost Town: what ghost town? Every mapper on the forums has made a ghost town!

I was talking about the only Ghost Town you find in running servers, Donut's one. If you already haven't, test it in Terra Nova, it's a great map.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Bart202 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm

I think things are clearly, everyone wants to have the new maps .. but like deadwood. I think deadwood is only good for dm. Don't angry with me Msh but the gameplay made me this opinion.
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Bodie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 pm

GhostTown is very sub-standard for an SG map, it drags quality down and I think a lot more work should be put to it... It's nice to have more maps, but I don't think we are THAT desperate to add a map that bad. Maybe we need some map QA on the dev side of thing where they simply would say when work isn't good enough (yet) to make it into the project?
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:58 pm

Since GhostTown is Donut's. There is a chance that he will be able to revise it and get integrated with a future release.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MsH » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:02 pm

@Bart202 No problem :wink: I agree with you. I started making deadwood on dm mode so br one sucks :D
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Biondo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:30 pm

@rane: I don't know why you are so harsh with Ghost Town. I disagree with you. Probably Station would need more work, but not Ghost Town. It's a nice map, including many well drawn new textures, with many tricky places. It's not in "Spaghetti" Western style, I know, but it is enjoyable, even playing against bots (I'm talking about DM of course, never played BR). It's also one of *LAME* clan's favourite maps for Thursday's deathmatches.
Probably you should suggest the improvements you have in mind, so Donut could evaluate them.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby sunrise » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I totally agree with Biondo. In my eyes Ghost Town is one of the best maps so far and it would be a shame, if doesn't get implemented in the new version.
To be honest i was a bit shocked after reading rane's post. I mean if you compare Ghost Town with any other 1.0 map, you will see that Ghost Town wins optically (higher res. textures and more details) and it also has a nice performance.
Gameplaywise it wasn't tested by many players, but it very fast and you have many options to attack and to defend.
The only disadvantage i could see is the fact that the map is a bit empty, but it's called Ghost Town, so you shouldn't expect an overloaded map.
Sorry for being offtopic.

@Anyway where can i download Henry's map. Its neither at terra nova nor at modb.
sunrise
Quick Draw

PreviousNext

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel