With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Re: [wip] New forum style -- New Banner Contest!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 am

That looks mighty sweet.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby dansh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Remove please my two previous posts. I just now read carefully about what is needed a banner on which is superimposed the logo. :)
Thanks in advance.
dansh
Shootist

Postby Tequila » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 am

Okay removed, there was not really any problem btw ;)
So now we are waiting for your banner tries ;)
Please please

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dansh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 am

Alamo banners:

The example on forum:
dansh
Shootist

Postby Biondo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for your contribution, Dansh!

If I had to find something that doesn't totally convince me, is the sepia toning of the image. I think there's the risk of having a boring layout if you don't play with contrasts. I mean, the overall style is already flat and monotone, so probably a coloured banner and photorealistic 3D logo would add life to something that otherwise is dead. But this is just an opinion. ;)
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby dansh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Biondo, I absolutely agree with you. Bright/caller picture will be more appropriate. On tinted banner somehow darkly.
dansh
Shootist

Postby a.k47 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I like Red's idea of dead people in the street |D

Let's make some screenshots this evening, i will hire some friends(RP-Clan, Bodie, nox-Clan...etc) :twisted:

Any suggestions for maps? I would prefer EL-paso, in front of the big bank...

best regards
a.k47
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:21 am

We should consider some dm only maps as well, so far we only spoke about br, br/dm maps.

Fort or DryGulch would probably be the best choices there since they both have some open areas.

Suggestion:
- On Fort, we could maybe team up or so and build like a real big clash in the middle with knifes and molotovs and dyna and stuff, OR - this is the less player demanding version - we could have someone shoot down the Sniper on the Tower with a Sharps of his own and make like some glittery effects on the sharps and maybe edit some bullets and gunsmoke in it, idk.

-As for Gulch, i think i simple picture of 4 people shooting synchronized with a gatling, standing in front of the 4 Windows of that big building should suffice. :-D

Anyways, i'm not great with picture editing software, but i'll see if i can carve up some leftover skillpoints (Haha.) in my pocket and some energy and do some screenshooting.
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby raw-med » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:19 pm

this is a little work From Med ;)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/loger.png/

SG name : Med
raw-med
Drifter

Postby raw-med » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:03 am

any way an other work :)

raw-med
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:08 am

raw-med, thanks for you submissions.
If I can give you some advices:
- Don't post a preview so big that it gets cut, but scale it down to fit the available space.
- Read better the assignment: do not superimpose "Smokin' Guns" name since it will be applied at a later time. BTW, don't apply frames, too. The size of the image has to be 960px x 270px (it can be wider, not taller).
- Probably it would be a good idea to limit the area occupied by low quality skybox, and put the focus on higher quality details.
- The graphic quality is too "raw", probably you should work on your anti-aliasing settings.
Keep on trying.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby raw-med » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:21 pm

hi all this is a new work :)

with rezizing

Last edited by raw-med on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raw-med
Drifter

Postby raw-med » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:23 pm

:)
raw-med
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:03 am

Since the SNH's idea of using 360° panoramas got so much positive feedback, I suggest to concretize the guidelines for submission of further backgrounds:

• each background should be required to be a seamless 360° panorama and, as previously stated, needs to be 270 pixels high and at least 960 pixels wide (preferably more)
  • if you apply effects (glow, rotoscope, etc.), always submit a plain version of your background
  • the competition is no longer a competition, but a collaborative effort, meaning, we can support each other in any of the following steps:

1. Select a map you want to represent. Ideally, choose a favorite map of yours, for which you think, there exist not a good panorama view up to now.
    2. Select a good spot of an interesting, meaningful 360° degree panorama. Your goal should be to capture the essence of the map. Remember, your target resolution is 960x270 and therefore the target aspect ratio is 960:270. To visualize this, you may use the following commands to change the resolution \r_customwidth 960, \r_customheight 270, \r_mode -1, \r_fullscreen 0 and \vid_restart.
    3. Switch back to your screens native resolution. Use the highest quality graphics settings. Do not worry about a low framerate: you only want to take pictures, so even 3 FPS would be sufficient. I advise to use the command \screenshot which produces .TGA files. However, you may have to convert these files into .PNGs in order to process them further. Alternatively, you can use the command \r_screenshotJpegQuality 100 and then \screenshotJPEG for loss-less JPEG quality. Whatever command you use, bind it to a key, e.g. \bind F12 screenshot.
    4. Use your keyboard's right arrow to turn, taking approximately 7 to 14 screenshots in the process. The pictures need to overlap a bit, see the next step.
    5. Assemble the screenshots to a panorama, using a panorama photo stitching software, e.g. Hugin (it's open source and free to use). Hugin is very easy to use: you load the images in the correct order, you specify the camera angle (usually 90 degrees; check \cg_fov) and the rest is done basically automatically by Hugin. Yes, it's that easy :wink:.
    6. Scale down the image to a height of 270 px, using an image manipulation program, e.g. Gimp (it's open source and free to use). Save the resulting image in a loss-free image format such as .PNG.
    7. Superimpose the new SG logo on the background, using an image manipulation program, e.g. Gimp. It should be centered horizontally and aligned at the top.
    8. Save the resulting image as .JPG, so it's size becomes around 100 KByte. To that end, change the JPEG quality (usually 85 is OK). You may apply a Gaussian blur of 0.5 to the background before phase 7 to be able to select a higher JPEG quality. This may be necessary for older textures, because these produce "dotted" surfaces which JPEG has difficulties to compress.
    9. Submit the image with and without logo.

I hope this does not scare anyone from attempting a submission, but rather encourage, since you now know what we, the community as presented by the spirit of the previous responses, are looking for and how it is done. If Biondo agrees and nobody objects, I propose to edit the first post to reflect the additional guidelines I described in this post.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 am

Here are some examples regarding dm_alamo_2:
  • dm_alamo_2_1: Image Image
  • dm_alamo_2_2: Image Image
  • dm_alamo_2_3: Image Image
  • dm_hangemhigh_1: Image Image

Edit: Links removed by either ImageShack or Assholes. I guess, the lession is here to not use ImageShack.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel