With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Is this Release Candidate suitable as the 1.1 release?

Yes
85%
No (explain why)
15%

Total votes : 13

Re: Beta testing in 1.1 RC1

Postby Tequila » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:26 am

Biondo wrote:Téquila, OK, it works if I logout, but not when I log in.

Other problems:
- OLD: stull missing BBcode buttons here
- NEW: I cannot edit my own posts any more (no Edit button)

Stull missing BBcode button should be fixed now... that was an issue related to "SG News" limited rights. About the "edit my own posts" case, I think this is the problem: by forum related rights, I hope it is fixed too ;)

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:11 am

Yes, both problems related to missing buttons/functions seem to be fixed now.
Download links are not.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Tequila » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am

Biondo wrote:Download links are not.

Sorry, it was just fixed for not registered users... Now fixed also for registered people...
Thanks you Biondo to be my scary reviewer :mrgreen:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Bodie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Here's a bunch of tonight's (might be edited as we keep playing):

Something that happens often in 1.1 that never happened in 1.0 for me is the fact that guns "jam" every once in a while. I click both buttons and they don't fire. Might be related to that bug I reported earlier related to crouching which still breaks all kinds of actions (reload, guns switching).

If you just jump in one spot continuously, you'll notice all kinds of weird bugs related to it. Sometimes jumps higher, sometimes faster, sometimes lands not evenly. All on flat ground.

Console should record/report/log teamshots just like it reports teamkills... If you want to be a d-bag, you can just wound your target and get around the whole TK defence system.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby racoq » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 am

Hello, i'm experiencing a bug with the latest 1.1 RC1 version. So i've taken the time to submit the required information using the template that is advised by the smoking gun team.

Just a previous note, this doesn't happens if i choose single player mode (i can play without any problems).

Code: Select all
Platform,OS: x86, Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
Engine/game version:''' SG v1.1 RC1

=== How to reproduce: ===
1. deleted /home/<my_user_name>/.smokinguns (for avoiding any incompability)
2. I Open the game
3. Select Multiplayer
4. Get new list and wait until online servers are loaded
5. Select any server
6. display awaiting connection, awaiting gamestate

=== Result: ===
Smoking Guns aborts and display a dialog box with the following error:

"VM_Create on UI failed. See /home/<my_user_name>/.smokinguns/smokinguns/crashlog.txt for details."

=== Expected result: ===
I should be able to connect to the server and play

=== Attached file description (if necessary): ===
link to crashlog.txt (pastebin) as referred by the previous error.

http://pastebin.com/uNPHrQtv
racoq
Newcomer

Postby racoq » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:00 am

Ok, apparently the problem doesn't happen when the maps that i'm playing are included in Smokin Guns native distribution. However, i was able to find by myself that enabling autodownload in settings forces (in theory) the download of these maps that i dont have.

EDIT
However, the autodownload feature doesn't seems to retrieve all the files. SG tries to get an baseq3/pak0.pk3 from the server and it fails! (the server cannot find that file)

shouldn't the autodownload feature from settings be enabled by default and in fact "work" ?
racoq
Newcomer

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:46 pm

racoq wrote:The autodownload feature doesn't seems to retrieve all the files. SG tries to get an baseq3/pak0.pk3 from the server and it fails! (the server cannot find that file)
Correct. Previously, baseq3/pak0.pk3 was part of SG1.1b5a. Seems, RC1.1 no longer contains baseq3/pak0.pk3, but all the files inside the pk3 individually. Probably, this is a packaging mistake. I asked /dev/random and he added baseq3/pak0.pk3 to the Bude's servers FTP space to fix the problem.

racoq wrote:Shouldn't the autodownload feature from settings be enabled by default?

I would argue that downloads from download.smokin-guns.org in fact should be enabled automatically. For other sources, the game engine should ask the user. While this is possible to implement, such a solution won't make it into SG1.1 for sure and there is no guarantee, it ever will get implemented (due to a lack of programmers).

racoq wrote:Shouldn't the autodownload feature from settings in fact "work"?

Since the server says the client, where to download files, it's the serveradmin's responsibility to ensure the necessary files are available. Proving a central download source such as download.smokin-guns.org will lift some responsibilities of the shoulders of serveradmins and would lead in the long run to an overall more reliable gaming experience.

Independent of this, let's not forget, we're all amateurs. None of us is doing this professionally, i.e. as part of their day job. I'm not aware of anyone making any kind of money from SG. As a consequence, we lack the time and resources to test every detail. That's kind of the bad side of free games that you have to accept. It's for free, but also unsupported.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby racoq » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 pm

TheDoctor wrote:]Correct. Previously, baseq3/pak0.pk3 was part of SG1.1b5a. Seems, RC1.1 no longer contains baseq3/pak0.pk3, but all the files inside the pk3 individually. Probably, this is a packaging mistake. I asked /dev/random and he added baseq3/pak0.pk3 to the Bude's servers FTP space to fix the problem.

Probably that won't be the only file needed! i managed to get pak0.pk3 however now the server is requiring the download of the following file.

pak0.8380b193.pk3

Probably since all you guys upgraded from the beta 5, and did not a clean install, these details were overlooked. However they are at some level important, because without them a new user can't play online.

TheDoctor wrote:Since the server says the client, where to download files, it's the serveradmin's responsibility to ensure the necessary files are available. Proving a central download source such as download.smokin-guns.org will lift some responsibilities of the shoulders of serveradmins and would lead in the long run to an overall more reliable gaming experience.

Yes, exactly my point was really that. It would make more sense to have a central repository for this instead of letting servers carry that "burden".

TheDoctor wrote:Independent of this, let's not forget, we're all amateurs. None of us is doing this professionally, i.e. as part of their day job. I'm not aware of anyone making any kind of money from SG. As a consequence, we lack the time and resources to test every detail. That's kind of the bad side of free games that you have to accept. It's for free, but also unsupported.

I'm sorry if if you thought i was not being polite and demanding something it was not my intention. In fact i really appreciate the work you guys do here. As you can see from my registration here, i've been a casual smokin guns gamer, since 2006. I really appreciate the work made by "amateurs" (like you put it). Furthermore i'm a great supporter and advocate of open source projects, either Linux, libreoffice on other effors in gaming like OpenArena, and Smokin' Guns.

My critics were meant to be constructive and improve the experience from a user point of view. Please note, that as happened to me, it will be very likely this happens to others users trying SG for the first time. And believe me, not everyone has the patient to came here to the forum and give their feedback.
racoq
Newcomer

Postby Biondo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 pm

First of all, (I'm talking to devs) it should be said in bold letters that new upgrades are not upgrades. They are new installs. That has to be said explicitly because in SG we had to live with strange updates (always a nightmare) where you had to unpack a packet in your previous install (if you knew where it was) for a long time.

Why don't you cry it loud: NEW INSTALL!

And while you are at it, say also: "Allow download!"

That said... TheDoctor answered gently, and you posted a gentle post ... let's keep it gentle :) This is the way to contribute, and I appreciate your style.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby /dev/random » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 pm

racoq wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:Since the server says the client, where to download files, it's the serveradmin's responsibility to ensure the necessary files are available. Proving a central download source such as download.smokin-guns.org will lift some responsibilities of the shoulders of serveradmins and would lead in the long run to an overall more reliable gaming experience.

Yes, exactly my point was really that. It would make more sense to have a central repository for this instead of letting servers carry that "burden".

A slight correction here; an official, central repository is good in _addition to the individual repositores.
If a serveradmin wants to use a custom mod, map or model which is (for whatever practical or legal) reasons not on the official repository, the client must (fallback to) use the individual one.

Biondo wrote:And while you are at it, say also: "Allow download!"

It's the player's decision whether he wants to activate downloads. There are several legitimate reasons why you would not want to use downloads (license, bandwith, security). It's however fine to _ask him, either once after installation or for each download. Since there are currently to dialogs for this, the only sane default setting is off, even with its drawbacks.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:38 pm

racoq wrote:I managed to get pak0.pk3 however now the server is requiring the download of pak0.8380b193.pk3

Probably the pak0.pk3 you provided is different from the one the server expects you to use. Baller Bude, Special Bude (and possibly also Terra Nova) require you to have
> md5sum pak0.pk3
82c521b33c251dd1421f81b3039a41bd  pak0.pk3

If there is already a file with that name but with a different checksum, SG will attempt to download it again. The new file will get a suffix corresponding to the checksum Smokin'Guns calculated.

racoq wrote:I'm sorry if if you thought i was not being polite and demanding something it was not my intention.
Not at all, so no need to apologize. I just wanted to point out to you the dilemma of us not able to solve all reported problems, even if the proposed solution is desirable.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby racoq » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:29 am

TheDoctor wrote:Probably the pak0.pk3 you provided is different from the one the server expects you to use. Baller Bude, Special Bude (and possibly also Terra Nova) require you to have
> md5sum pak0.pk3
82c521b33c251dd1421f81b3039a41bd  pak0.pk3

If there is already a file with that name but with a different checksum, SG will attempt to download it again. The new file will get a suffix corresponding to the checksum Smokin'Guns calculated.

That is not the case. I have deleted the pak0.pk3 and all the contents of the baseq3 directory inside the .smokinguns directory inside my home directory.

After that, i've tried to connect to a server and the the pak0.pk3 was transferred as expected. However after that the file pak0.8380b193.pk3 started to be transferred over and over again. So Basically i see the pak0.8380b193.pk3 being transferred (the % going to 100%) and then it shows "awaiting gamestate" and than the download of the same file happens again, and again, and again in a endless loop (i have to abort with the escape key). :x

EDIT (added MD5 sums for both files)

82c521b33c251dd1421f81b3039a41bd pak0.8380b193.pk3
82c521b33c251dd1421f81b3039a41bd pak0.pk3

I don't believe this is normal. In fact since i last installed SG (version 1.1 beta 4), i never had so much problems as i'm having with this version... A procedure that would take a couple of minutes to setup and download the maps, now i am for 2 days trying to get a workable installation.

I'm aware you guys do the best you can with the limited time you have. But take my place :) this is really frustrating since i cannot play online... :(

Just a side note Baller Bude (i think this is the link to them ftp://ftp.loop8.net/smokinguns/baseq3/ ) is highly unreliable. Some times allows me to download files ingame or through the browser, and other times don't. I'm aware thats not your fault but someone could talk to their web server admin.
racoq
Newcomer

Postby dansh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:46 am

racoq, which servers you are trying to connect? If this server is not 1.1rc1, then I think it should be.
Joe Kari wrote of incompatibility of previous versions. You can fine play on the servers of version 1.1rc1. That is, version 1.1b5a is not compatible with version 1.1rc1, because the archives have different *.pk3.
Perhaps this can be avoided by unplugging the variables on the server, but I'm not sure:
* sv_pure "0"
* sv_allowdownload "0"
dansh
Shootist

Postby Bodie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 pm

When you pick up a knife, while already holding a knife and using it (swinging), from then on the cutting sound of the knife will be replaced by the picking up sound. So when you take another swing, you will hear the picking up sound, not the cutting sound. Just hold your left mouse button when holding a knife, and pick another knife from the ground to produce this sound bug.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby /dev/random » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:47 pm

racoq wrote:Just a side note Baller Bude (i think this is the link to them ftp://ftp.loop8.net/smokinguns/baseq3/ ) is highly unreliable. Some times allows me to download files ingame or through the browser, and other times don't. I'm aware thats not your fault but someone could talk to their web server admin.

For starters; FTPd is not a web (as in WWW/http) server ;)

As I am the admin of that mirror, you may be the "someone" talking to me. I am just hosting the files, administration of BallerBude gameservers is done by TheDoctor.

There are some rather tight restrictions on timeouts, number of connections and allowed commands; you might thus run into troubles with misbehaving ftp clients or when trying to download from ingame and external in parallel.

Could you be a little more specific about "does not allow downloads sometimes"? Are you getting an FTP 550 error, a timeout while connecting, are download speeds just very slow?
Neither of those happened to me, thus I'd classify it as "highly reliable" :) Download speeds might vary, since this is on a shared virtual server. Routing might not be the best from outside EU, but then you'd not have fun playing on BallerBude anyways.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

PreviousNext

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel