With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Monsterbrowser

Postby a.k47 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 pm

hey folk,

i have a problem with my monsterbrowser. I wanted to update my 0.8 version to the latest one, the 0.8a version.
I installed it in the same folder, but there were some strage mistakes, while installing. Now, i can't open my monsterbrowser again. I deinstalled it again (both, the old and the new one) and installed the 0.8 version again. And I had the same problem, i still can'T open it.

May you help me?

best regards
a.k47

P.S. I'm using windows xp machine.
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: Monsterbrowser

Postby torhu » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm

What error messages do you get?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 am

Just had this problem earlier this evening after installing, I uninstalled monster browser and deleted the backup that the update created, then a quick ccleaner registry scan and reinstalled and it works fine now

Also running XP
Ash
Drifter

Postby torhu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 am

Ouch. Is anyone else having trouble on XP?
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby a.k47 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

More infos about the problem:
It's very odd, but i can open my monsterbrowser just not in my account on my pc.
i made another account, called "gastkorb" and there it works fine, the 0.8 version as well as the 0.8a version...??? Any idea why not on my account?
I can see the process in my task manager sometimes, but the window does not appear.

cheers
a.k47
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Bodie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Portable version works fine. The one from the .zip. I hope you read this before you start reinstalling your Windows. Sigh.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby sunrise » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm

@a.k47
It seems like you didnt uninstall the previous monsterbrowser-version properly and some leftovers cause interferences with the new version.
I would suggest you to download ccleaner and try ash's solution.
sunrise
Quick Draw

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 pm

@sunrise

yes, that was exactly my mistake; I installed the update without first uninstalling the previous version and when I tried to run it the program window would open for a brief second and then shut down. Using Ccleaner and then doing a clean install worked fine.
Ash
Drifter

Postby torhu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 pm

You are supposed to be able to install on top of an old version. If that doesn't work, it's a bug.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this problem is that MB was already running. Maybe not in a visible state, but hung and only visible in the Task Manager.

I guess I'll have to do some testing on XP. I didn't bother to do that for this release, as it's never been a problem before :cry:

By the way, did anyone try it in Wine? Someone reported that it didn't work there anymore.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:07 am

I did some testing in my VirtualBox XP SP2 installation. I started with MB 0.6, then upgraded to every version including 0.8a, running each version. No problems whatsoever.

This was using an administrator account, which I think is the default on XP.

Guys, can I ask you to provide the following information?
  1. Which XP version? SP1, 2, or 3?
  2. Is the account on which you experience the problems an administrator account? You can see this if you open User Accounts in Control Panel.
  3. Which Monster Browser version did you upgrade from, 0.8 or older?

Thanks.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:25 am

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Installed on Administrator account

Upgraded from 0.8

I did close MB before installing the upgrade but yes, it might have been hung up and only visible in Task Manager.
Ash
Drifter

Postby Bodie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 am

Launching 0.8a moves mods.ini to .autobackup while the original file disappears. MB doesn't start without mods.ini, and if there's mods.ini in the directory, it renames it via config update.

When you purge the dir before installing, MB will not create it for itself, and won't work. The message about updating configs will not appear, and the client won't start.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby torhu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 am

@Bodie: That's right, but it is supposed to recreate mods.ini before continuing startup. What happens if you just delete mods.ini, does MB start up successfully then?

MB creates mods.ini in two cases:
  1. The file does not exist.
  2. The setting programVersion under [SessionState] in settings.ini has a value lower than 0.8a, or it doesn't exist. This behavior is new in 0.8a.

So deleting the programVersion line should cause the same problem to happen. Anyone feel like trying? :twisted:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Bodie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:05 am

1. There's no programVersion line in the settings.ini in my MB %appdata% dir after the update of the configs from 0.8 to 0.8a. There's no such line in my 0.8 config backups either. I don't even have a SessionState section.

2. Mods.ini isn't created when deleted. If it's present, it's deleted (renamed/moved to backup).

3. MB 0.8a installed while there's no Monster Browser/ dir in %appdata% only creates an empty directory there, no files inside.

In all cases MB refuses to start. I can see mods.ini disappearing when updating configs, afterwards nothing happens in the %appdata% directory.

Shouldn't the client just create everything if there's no %appdata%/Monster Browser/? The dir with all the working contents?
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby torhu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

It's hard to tell what's going on here. But I've made a test build of MB that you can download here. This version will display an error message if it can't create mods.ini.

If any errors are displayed, they should also be written to the log file, which is C:\Documents and settings\<username>\Local settings\Application Data\LOG.TXT on XP. Unless that doesn't work either, of course...
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel