With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Server Issues?

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

For almost a week now I have been having some problems in Paladin and Baller Bude servers (the only 2 servers I usually go to) and I was wondering if anyone else was having the same experience?

My ping hasn't changed (normally averages from 50-150 in Paladin, and 100-200 in Baller Bude) not great ping but up until now I have had no problems dealing with it.

Lately however no matter what my ping is I am still finding everything laggy and sluggish and 'twitchy' (if you know what I mean)

I have just come from Paladin where it said my ping was in the low 50's and yet it was still all laggy and sluggish (for example) if I shoot the glass out of a window the glass shards just hang there in the air for several seconds before disappearing...

So I tried the same thing in Baller Bude (just minutes ago) and even though it said my ping was 106 I am finding the same thing; laggy, sluggish, twitchy, and again, if I shoot the glass out of a window all the glass shards just hang in the air for a while before disappearing.

Like I said, this has all just started happening over the last few days and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing it? It's getting to the point where I can't even play against the bots let alone other players... :(

Is there a solution? Or even just the possibility of light at the end of the tunnel? I love this game and it would really suck if I couldn't play anymore.

Thanks
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Re: Server Issues?

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 pm

What operating system do you use? Did you change anything recently? If you open console (shortcut Shift+Esc and type \cg_drawFPS 1, do you get around 60 frames per second?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Wow, Thanks for the speedy reply Doctor

I am using XP and have been all along, there has been no change at all.

When I type "\cg_drawFPS" into the console the exact response I get is:

"cg_drawFPS" is: "0" default: "0"

Don't know if it was necessary but I tried it in both Paladin and Baller Bude and got the same response.
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Fenris The Wolf wrote:Wow, Thanks for the speedy reply Doctor

I am using XP and have been all along, there has been no change at all.

When I type "\cg_drawFPS" into the console the exact response I get is:

"cg_drawFPS" is: "0" default: "0"

Don't know if it was necessary but I tried it in both Paladin and Baller Bude and got the same response.

Mind the 1, type \cg_drawFPS 1
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 pm

oops, sorry Doctor.

When I type "\cg_drawFPS 1" into the console the response I get is:

"cg_drawFPS" is: "1" default: "0"
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Fenris The Wolf wrote:When I type "\cg_drawFPS 1" into the console...

yes, and in the top right corner, it should display "nnfps". What number do you get? And Fenris, just to be clear, if you tell me you get 1:29 or some other time, I'm outta here.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 pm

lol... got it Doc

the number I got was 108- 109

*Edit:
actually watching the number during gameplay it cycles from around 8 all the way up to 108, 109... seems to average around 80 or 90
Last edited by Fenris The Wolf on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Fenris The Wolf wrote:lol... got it Doc

the number I got was 8, then 108

You could start a single game to see, if you also have problems there.

If you really got 8fps sometimes, it may represent the problem. Maybe, somehow, your graphics card doesn't work as it used to be. You should get at least 40 FPS at all times to be able play fluently. You could try to select the fastest in-game graphics settings and/or a lower resolution to see, if you can squeeze out some more frames. However, 8fps is so low, I must assume, you need to reinstall your graphic card driver, if you have a dedicated graphic cards and not an on-board chipset.

Some additonal commands for increasing the framerate
Code: Select all
\seta r_vertexLight 1
\seta r_dynamiclight 0
\seta r_picmip 2
\seta r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
\seta cg_boostfps 1

You may want to backup your q3config.cfg beforehand. It's located either in C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\ or in C:\Documents and settings\YourUsername\Application data\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns. You may restore or even delete the current q3config.cfg, in case you need to start from scratch.

EDIT: since you edited your post, I had to edit mine as well a few times :-p
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:05 pm

ok Doctor, thanks a lot for your time. I will keep trying and will give all your solutions a try...

yes I really was getting 8, was just on paladin dry gulch map and the number was jumping from 8-9 all the way up to 108-109 and was cycling fast... the only times it seemed to sit still was when it was at the bottom.

Anyway, thanks again. Much appreciated.
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Postby Tequila » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 am

Just my 2 cents, and just in case you didn't check,

do you have installed new software recently ? have you disabled anti-virus in the case you have one ? In my though, on any OS, such big FPS drop may mean your computer may be working on something else... and new software and/or anti-virus are often the first stuff to check.

In general, don't investigate on the game only if you didn't change anything in its config and you have trouble with more than just one server.

Also, you may some time experience troubles after graphic card driver update, have you updated it recently ?

Try eventually other FPS games.

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel