With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Issue of Ping

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:05 pm

First off, I freely admit that I am NOT a very tech savvy person and I apologize if any of my questions seem noobish.

My XP machine finally died on me a while back and I am now trying to get comfortable playing SG on a new laptop running windows 7. Everything is going well, just been taking my time and tweeking my controls etc etc.

However, for some reason my ping is now 50-80 points higher than it ever was before and I have no idea why this would be. Normally my ping on Baller Bude runs about 109-125, and on Palladin & W4rh4wk around 40-60.

Now, although my Monster Browser still shows my ping to be the same as it has always been, when I actually join a server, my ping is generally around 50-80 points higher than MB states. Do any of you gentlemen cowboys have any idea why this may be?

~peace
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Re: Issue of Ping

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 am

Fenris The Wolf wrote:Do any of you gentlemen cowboys have any idea why this may be?

I don't have much experience when it comes to Windows 7, especially with respect to gaming, however, I would follow one of the many guides on how to reduce Windows 7 network latency.
:razz:

You could also temporarily deactivate your antivirus/firewall software, just to rule out any negative effect it might have.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:31 am

Fenris, I'm not a big expert too, but at my eyes it sounds strange this discrepancy between the ping showed by MonsterBrowser and the ping experienced in game. Are you sure that, while tweaking your q3config.cfg, you haven't inadvertently induced this behaviour by changing some parameters?
Try copying q3config.cfg to another directory, and let SG to build a new one, to see if something changes.
Good luck.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Biondo wrote:It sounds strange this discrepancy between the ping showed by MonsterBrowser and the ping experienced in game.

Generally, a certain difference is explainable because off the additional latency SG induces by handling and processing messages, both on client and server. However, 60ms difference is way too high.

Speaking of overhead, make sure SG runs at top speed. Try \seta cg_drawFPS 1 to ensure, you're getting at least 60 FPS. Like Sunrise in a different topic, I suggest \seta com_maxfps 62.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 pm

[quote="TheDoctor Speaking of overhead, make sure SG runs at top speed. Try \seta cg_drawFPS 1 to ensure, you're getting at least 60 FPS. Like Sunrisein a different topic, I suggest \seta com_maxfps 62.[/quote]

Hey Thanks fellas. Doctor, I tried these two commands and although it did not affect my ping at all, for some reason gameplay seems much less sluggish than it was, (which was like swimming through molasses) which seems very odd to me but I am thankful. Also TY for the links about reducing latency in windows 7, right now the process seems much too daunting to me at my knowledge level, but I have them bookmarked and will try it when I become desperate, ty again.

Hi Biondo, thanks man. You have pointed out another of my problems and that is that I can't even find the q3config.cfg file. in XP it was user/localsettings/appdata, if I remember correctly, but in windows 7 it seems to be nowhere to be found. I will continue my hunt but if anyone knows I would be greatful.

~peace
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Postby Biondo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

I know that feeling of "swimming through molasses" :). I remember it.
I can't help you finding your q3config in Windows 7, but I'm sure that someone else will be able.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby sunrise » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 pm

In win7 my q3config is placed in:
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns
So what you need to do is just search at all users.

i dont think win7 has any bad influence on your ping, at least for me its true and i didn't change any network settings in my registry.

Make sure that sg is not blocked by your firewall.
Check if any other backgroundprocesses(update programs, donwload helpers and other stupid stuff) are running and if there's no need for them, you should close them.
Are you using wireless internet?
If so, try a cable :D.
The lag can also be caused serverside that happens some times, you can see it when all players get high ping or by taking a look at your lagometer.
You can also try to run smoking guns as an administrator, that solves most of win7s problems.

Edit: use the command /seta rate "25000"
sunrise
Quick Draw

Postby torhu » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Maybe your old install had g_truePing set to 0? If set to 1, the scoreboard will display a higher ping. But it defaults to 1, and has been like this since before SG 1.0, so it's not a likely solution.

To find your SG settings folder in Windows Vista and 7:
Type "%appdata%\s" into the start menu, that will show all folders beginning with "S". Also works in the Explorer address field.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel