With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

authorize.smokin-guns.net is down

Postby jewel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello everyone,

We've been playing LAN games of smokin guns at my job for a year or so, with some employees joining from home via a port forward. We play the 1.1b4 version since that's the last one that works on the mac (at least we couldn't get 1.1 to work). As of yesterday suddenly external people couldn't connect any more, getting a "no or bad challenge for your address" error.

It looks like this is because the "authorize.smokin-guns.net" server no longer exists (the DNS entry no longer exists), but that's what's compiled into our version of the game code.

What are my options? Can I disable the authorize check completely? Will recompiling the server with the authorize check removed be enough?

Thanks for a fun game.
jewel
Newcomer

Re: authorize.smokin-guns.net is down

Postby Tequila » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi jewel,

the authorize code can only a problem if you set sv_strictAuth to 1 on the server side and the authorize server says to not trust someone. Verify it is set to 0 nad it won't bother you anymore, but actually the authorize server trusts anyone.

For the case of the not existing DNS entry, this will just disabled the check by default and the only bad counter-part is the time out from the DNS server.

:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Re: authorize.smokin-guns.net is down

Postby jewel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks Tequila. It doesn't appear that the non-existing DNS entry is harmless. It causes the server to lock up and causes the error mentioned previously on all external clients, which prevents them from playing.

I've fixed the issue by overriding the DNS entry for authorize.smokin-guns.net to be the same IP address as authorize.smokin-guns.org. This is only necessary on the server, not the clients.
jewel
Newcomer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel