With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

[DM] - Mulege Prison

Postby MachoBastard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:32 am

Howdy again cowboys, i bring you:

[Mulege Prison]
Rev. 14

Historic Manure:

The Mulege Prison (Pronounced Moo-Leh-Heh) was built by soldiers and local residents under the direction of Captain Arturo Alvarez in 1906. The prison served as a territorial penitentiary housing prisoners from La Paz, Loreto, and Constitucion up until its closure in 1975. Prisoners with lesser infractions were released from the jail at 6:00 am to work odd jobs in order to pay for their clothes, a cot, and blankets. They were called back to their cells at 6:00 pm by the blow of a conch shell. in actuality the prison is used as a museum.

Map Details:

-Bot Friendly (I tried to optimize it as good as i could, so bots can't get stuck and run around in circles, theres still bugs to fix).

-Good for 8+ players (As a suggestion this map should be played with 8+ players / bots)

-PK3 Ready (Just copy to "Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/" and you are ready to go!)

Note: As my friend The Doc said, i should establish the license terms in which i release my maps, these maps are free and can be modified / optimized /slaughtered by anyone and released again as long as the original credit is given and no profit is made from it!.

That said, Let's shoot some cacti!.

Download here y'all!
Last edited by MachoBastard on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Re: [DM] - Mulege Prison

Postby Biondo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:55 am

What a surprise! Downloaded and played. Congratulations for the nice, original, map MachoBastard and thanks for sharing.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby MsH » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Very nice work MachoBastard,
Nice to see you back in action!
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:53 pm

:D Thank you, MachoBastard, for releasing another of your maps. I'll try to make it available on Baller Bude a.s.a.p.

MachoBastard wrote:I should establish the license terms in which i release my maps, these maps are free and can be modified / optimized / slaughtered by anyone and released again as long as the original credit is given and no profit is made from it!

Thank you again! According to the terms you described, CC BY-NC-SA would be a suitable license. Anyway, I herewith ask you to also release the original dm_mulpris.map file to make it easier editing your map. I would suggest to include the map file within the dm_mulpris.pk3 together with a small license.txt file.

Without the map file, decompiling of the map is possible, but due to bugs of the decompiler, 50% of the textures have to be re-aligned, thus making it unecessary hard to fix any bugs or shortcomings of a map.

Best regards,

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 am

Upon loggin' here, I wouldn't have thought that ManchoBastard, inactive since 2009, would just post this evening one of his new creation!
In other terms, I just got my ass kicked when I saw this. For what I have seen so far for the map (I just did a devmap on it tbh), it looks great: well balanced, bot-friendly, circular architecture, really nice looking, not fps-killing, etc.

I should one of these day launch the game and try to have a nice game with it on baller. I'm really curious if it would turn out to be one of the must-play map like dm_fort f.e.

Congratz for all your work and for being kind to share this with us :-) I'd be curious to know much time you spent to create this map.

Well, meanwhile I'm at it, may I ask you if you can post again your older maps. I was able to catch dm_aguacaliente, dm_pueblomuerto and dm_ttstation some time ago but for the others I was too late because I was getting only some dead links.

Anyway, nice to see you back with a big surprise for us!
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby MachoBastard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 am

The Doc Said: I herewith ask you to also release the original dm_mulpris.map file to make it easier editing your map. I would suggest to include the map file within the dm_mulpris.pk3 together with a small license.txt file.

Without the map file, decompiling of the map is possible, but due to bugs of the decompiler, 50% of the textures have to be re-aligned, thus making it unecessary hard to fix any bugs or shortcomings of a map

Done. i included the .map file / textures / levelshots besides the pk3, if anyone wants to mess around with the map.

@Barto

It's good to hear positive comments, and its true, i've been away from SG for some years, mostly 'cause a big SSD drive incident back in 2009, needless to say, everything was lost, maps/textures even the photos and concepts i used as mapping reference.

On that same note, if anyone has pics or screenshots of my old maps, or even better, the bsp files. i would like to ask for a share-back so i can remake newer versions of 'em and host them on a more permanent site.

About the time it took me, about 7 hours in mapping time and some extra time looking for photos and google mapping, after all it is a real place and i wanted it to have an accurate layout, here's a google pic:

And it's good to be back. |D
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Barto » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:34 pm

MachoBastard wrote:I've been away from SG for some years, mostly 'cause a big SSD drive incident back in 2009, needless to say, everything was lost, maps/textures even the photos and concepts i used as mapping reference.

Ouch, SSD weren't as strong as hard drives at that time... That's life.

MachoBastard wrote:On that same note, if anyone has pics or screenshots of my old maps, or even better, the bsp files. i would like to ask for a share-back so i can remake newer versions of 'em and host them on a more permanent site.

I was able to get a couple of them few years back. They landed on http://mirror.9k.lv/smokinguns/smokinguns/ and are used f.e. on Baller.

MachoBastard wrote:About the time it took me, about 7 hours in mapping time and some extra time looking for photos and google mapping, after all it is a real place and i wanted it to have an accurate layout.

Woaw, I'm impressed, really!
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Bart202 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Hello,

This map is a reason to stop reading and tell you that you are doing / did a great job. It's motivating myself a little bit :) Keep going on :twisted:
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:01 pm

I had the chance to play this map a few times now. I'm pleasantly surprised how balanced this map is - for many other maps I had to reshuffle the spawn points - not for this one.

As a unique feature of this map, I would point out the inner court yard, which features only two entrances/exists but many cells to hide in. Thus it is always a very suspenseful moment to enter it, since you possibly face a "1 to n" situation, even with two players.

If one ever sees the need to modify this map, I would probably move the two entrances of the inner courtyard, so they do not form a line of sight. It may also worth considering, adding a somewhat hidden tunnel from the courtyard to outside or a breakable wall as third, unusual entrance.

I also thought about the possibility to connect some of the cells to form double cells, since this would enable a player to enter one cell and exit another. This may however unbalance the courtyard. Right now, a player faces the 1 to n situation, but once a camper is spotted in a cell, he is in an immediate disadvantage because he has nowhere to go.

All in all, I think this map is well-done and a great addition to the game. Good work!
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel