With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

Death of LucasArts, creator of Outlaws

Postby Barto » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm

It was really smelling bad for them, and sadly the info came out. Disney decided to kill LucasArts, the famous studio that created Monkey Island, plenty of Star Wars games and, if you did not knew, one inspirational game for Smokin' Guns: Outlaws.

In the meantime, they decided to release the source code of Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast, two games that are running more or less on the same engine as our loved SG. I had some hopes to see the source code of Outlaws being released and then backported to nowaday's machines but sadly, it seems this code will soon get lost...

If you did not knew about Outlaws, it was one of the first shooter playing in a western ambiance. It did not have the last gen graphics, but TNT traps appeared in this game and the music was just as good as if Sir Morricone had created it himself. The difficulty were nicely named as: good, bad and ugly. I always had some hope to see those song becoming free for simply putting them into the game.
Since I won't bother about copyrights, you can hear the music here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/outl.htm

I lost hopes to see Outlaws brought back to life trough gog.com or steam on my linux machine.
There is still a - rather small - community around the game here: outlawsgame.50.forumer.com. Someone seems to have also some interest to make some retro-engineering and recoding on the game to make a backport here: xlengine.com.

So I have only one tip for you, just let Outlaws make a try on your machine, I'm sure it will be worth it!

And well, what are your thoughts about this event?
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: Death of LucasArts, creator of Outlaws

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Watching the cutscenes, I did recognize John de Lancie's voice. Lol.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Oh, really? Which character is he voicing?
I fully admit that those cutscenes are just beautiful with its comic design. I also appreciate - from my own opinion - the single lines enemies are shouting during fights. It looks really old but the fun is still here.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm

I loved KOTOR, but that's the only game I played from them. Now I see why people say SG looks like Outlaws!

Pardner
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Barto wrote:Oh, really? Which character is he voicing?

Dr. Death (the evil doctor).
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 pm

@Pardner
You should definitely give a small try to one of the oldest star wars fps ever made: dark forces if you like to play some good old fps.

@TheDoctor
Oh, this evil charismatic dude with more teeth than any sharks. I still haven't played - much - into the game, but this character looks interesting to me.

I remember Dike playing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game from the same studio, looks like a really old game to try too. There is even some good compatibility with either ScummVM or DosBox :-) I am really sad about people not knowing those huge titles when I attempt to make a decent reference to it.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Barto wrote:I am really sad about people not knowing those huge titles when I attempt to make a decent reference to it.
Dude, we all get older. Nowerdays I'm already content when my younger colleagues know games such as the original C&C.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:15 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Nowerdays I'm already content when my younger colleagues know games such as the original C&C.

Hehe, I actually remember the first game of the red alert serie, so much fun over there. It's quite easy to find those old games online via squakenet. It even quite works well on linux with dosbox!
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Wiskey » Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 pm

I have fond memories of my childhood, and related Outlaws a demo which I played as a child. Actually, I give thanks for the Outlaws that I found this nice SG and the community.
Wiskey
Drifter

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:14 am

I still have Outlaws kicking around on an external hd somewhere, what a great game. Though I was never able to get it running multiplayer, I spent many many hours playing single player, and it was that game that made me discover SG. Hmmm I think now I want to reinstll it and have some fun.
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Postby Wiskey » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Fenris The Wolf wrote:I still have Outlaws kicking around on an external hd somewhere, what a great game. Though I was never able to get it running multiplayer, I spent many many hours playing single player, and it was that game that made me discover SG. Hmmm I think now I want to reinstll it and have some fun.

I am played Outlaws throught many times and with all difficult levels. I have also problem with Outlaws multiplayer, so can you tell for me if you can get it work?

I am tried to play Outlaws multiplayer many times, but I can't connect for servers...

Ports don't open or something else problem.
Wiskey
Drifter

Postby Pale Rider » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:27 pm

For those searching for a way to have Outlaws run on Windows 7 and 8:

http://outlawsgame.50.forumer.com/outla ... 53376.html

(maybe you need to be registered)

Send me a PM if the file has expired ;)
Pale Rider
Newcomer

Postby Barto » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Pale Rider and have a nice easter!

I have put this forum url in the first post already ;-) It seems you are part of this community as I can see. How big is this community from your personal point of view?

While re-reading this post, I saw we talked about the first red alert. I will just introduce you OpenRA ( http://openra.res0l.net/ ) which is a project that aims to recode the game with the original images in C# (so Linux, MacOS and Windows are supported) in a modern way. It is totally legit since Westwood released freely the old CD of the game. This project is highly active and under GPLv3.

Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pale Rider » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 am

Hey Barto, thanks :) does your nickname come from the mysterious El_Barto, public enemy number 1 in Springfield's School?

Actually, i've been playing both Outlaws and Smokin' Guns for years (it still was called WQ3 back then) but I only joined the Outlaws forum a few days ago and I must have played less than 10 multiplayer games those 5 last years. I couldn't tell how many people still are active there, but more than I thought, that's for sure. There are almost 200 members since 2009 and the highest number of people ever online is 82, on the 5th of July 2012. But even the fact that this community exists, as small as it can be, is incredible.

I'm very nostalgic and I wanted to send an e-mail to that guy who made great Outlaws maps but the e-mail was old and didn't work anymore, so I searched on the net and found this forum. Quite funny that two days after, he posted this patched OL version for Windows 8 made by himself or his nephew or something hehe! Maybe we should make a google drive calc sheet to list all more or less active die-hard western FPS players and organize cross-games events (maybe you're doing this kind of stuff but I haven't read much on this forum yet... just played a game last summer on the steamboat!)

I loved both versions of WQ3 and Smokin Guns. yesterday I had it run on Archlinux (64 bits) by downloading the 1.1 version and adding this update with 64 bits support. Everything worked fine including sound. Are the maps from WQ3 still available? When I have time, I'll try to build an Outlaws-based map for SG. There's already this "Dry Gulch" which looks like Outlaws' Sanctuary (second mission in the solo game). In OL too there was a multiplayer map called Dry Gulch but it doesn't look like SGs'. A remake of Counter-Strike's Dust 2 for SG and/or OL would be great too hehe. If I remember well, SG also had a map which was inspired from the game Desperados, called "farm"... 3 months ago I had lunch with Desp's lead developper in Strasbourg (France). He told us about the making-of the game. Was quite funny. But just like in 2001/2002, he told us even though they made additional missions, they were never released because 90% of the team was fired just after the release of the game. He also made us understood that he couldn't give us any editor. Too bad because i'm sure new Desperados missions would attract a lot of old and new players.

So you belong to these people waiting for Outlaws' source too. Today I thought to myself, those sources don't even exist anymore, otherwise they would have given them when we asked for them a few years ago but I hope i'm wrong. I'm currently trying to improve my Javascript skills (just finished my Web development studies but my JS is still weak and i'm searching for a job), but after that i'll train C++ again... if nobody manages to get the source for Outlaws, we'll have to recode it by hand. Maybe i'll learn how to make a mod for the Source engine too. Actually, that was how the Fistful of Frags HL² mod was first called. I also still have my copy of Redneck Rampage. Different atmosphere but it was worth trying it! And just like OL, you could play the game's music by reading the cd in your cd player (Reverend Horton Heat...)... and just like OL, you had to avoid the first track because it was no multitrack cd hehe.

Woo, that was a massive post. Hope my English is understandable! Time to sleep, now!
Pale Rider
Newcomer

Postby Barto » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 pm

I don't have much to say after reading your post :mrgreen:

Pale Rider wrote:But even the fact that this community exists, as small as it can be, is incredible.

I see, a good community is not about the number, I'd say even it's the opposite. Look at the big games where cheaters are all around the corner, they're suffering from this part of the community. Luckily we erased the cheat with the 1.1 version but we suffered a lot from it. When you know that a cheat exists, everybody start to accuse everyone else to be a cheater. Insults then rise and the community becomes bad.

Pale Rider wrote:Are the maps from WQ3 still available?

Most of them yeah for the second version of WQ3. I saw that there were like only 2 that got wiped out for SG - and I'm sure - if you are smart enough, you could port them to SG quite easily. But there was, I suppose, a good reason not to keep them anyway.

I actually never played Desperado, never got time. But I heard a lot of lovers saying it was an awesome game.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel