With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

What'up about SG 1.2 ?

Postby -Murdoc- » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Hey there ! Just to have some news about SG 1.2, what's up ? Many players waitin for it, especially to fix some bad bugs ! I hope some news to put it on facebook page. I know it's not easy to have a precise calendar but just some news please ! :)
-Murdoc-
Quick Draw

Re: What'up about SG 1.2 ?

Postby Barto » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I was writing an answer but when I clicked on the preview button, my modem decided to loose internet connection. So I lost the message I have been typing for half an hour... Okay, I'll rewrite this in a quick and dirty method, don't get mad about it.

It's sad I cannot put more lines into it, but Tequila is quite the only person to maintain the code (more than 400k lines of code) and he's been really busy last couple of months...

So far, the 1.2dev version includes:

• baller bude's code (mostly smarter bot, but they still don't know how to use dynamite in bank robbery mode, so upon incomprehension they kill themself)
  • some code synchronisation with ioquake3. I hope Tequila can do one more sync soon to merge officially the SDL2 code. It currently adds a new renderer which is way too experimental to be used (it takes more memory, so some maps will even refuse to run and it's not working 100% as we can expect so far). Example on dm_lago: https://imgur.com/uS3JQ8y . Anyway, it's good to know if you're trying to make a movie from recorded demos.
  • For the rest, I admit nothing has been changed so far. I only hope one day TheDoctor or Tequila will be able to fix some bug reports.

I have to conclude that if there are some bugs not listed in the ticket sections, it is likely that Tequila doesn't know about them. So please write either a forum post, a github bugreport or whatever you want to show us the problem. I have been trying to get into the code, but I have to admit I quite failed to do what I would have expected to make... Maybe I should give it a try again...
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby -Murdoc- » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:47 am

Ok thank you for your answer !!! I hope tequila could answer too ! :) So i can see there are some new features ! But not really many fixed bugs. I report it here !
-Murdoc-
Quick Draw

Postby Alex_zonE » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:34 pm

it would be wonderful to enter the Indians with bows :roll:
Alex_zonE
Drifter

Postby -Murdoc- » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm

I think there are more important things to do before ! To fix bugs and other features.
-Murdoc-
Quick Draw

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Barto wrote:I only hope one day TheDoctor [...] will be able to [...]

Things don't look good for that. I do not practice coding within my main job, so I'm getting more and more rusty with respect to C. What makes it worse, I no longer have continuous periods of quality time, where I could get into coding SG again. My available free time for SG is usually several days apart. If I try to start changing something and don't have the time to finish it, I'd have basically start from scratch again or risk that my own code base gets very messy and ugly very quickly. Believe, I've already tried the latter approach and found myself in a deadend.
:(
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Bart202 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Same with my map, could it be possible to make a mapping installation tutorial with 1.1? that works? would be the happiest day in my life ... :oops:
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Bart202 wrote:Could it be possible to make a mapping installation tutorial?

Do you mean a tutorial how to install the tool chain (map editor, map compiler) or a tutorial on mapping in general?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Things don't look good for that. I do not practice coding within my main job, so I'm getting more and more rusty with respect to C. What makes it worse, I no longer have continuous periods of quality time, where I could get into coding SG again. My available free time for SG is usually several days apart. If I try to start changing something and don't have the time to finish it, I'd have basically start from scratch again or risk that my own code base gets very messy and ugly very quickly. Believe, I've already tried the latter approach and found myself in a deadend.

I fully understand you. I mostly said that because I know you made some great changes within baller bude's code and I did not knew how friendly you were with the engine code. I also know you can maybe achieve more than I do in programming, and I expected you'd be able to do this without swearing and sweating for days like I when I gave it a try. My skills in C have increased since last attempt for sure, but still 400k lines of code is way beyond my capacity.

Bart202 wrote:Same with my map, could it be possible to make a mapping installation tutorial with 1.1?

I thought the tutorial given in the mapping section of the forum was okay. The only thing I can add is the GtkRadiant and the Q3Map2 page on Wikibooks.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby -Murdoc- » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 am

Who is the dev team exactly ? Who does what ? :o

We need you Doc ! :D
-Murdoc-
Quick Draw

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel