With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Monster Browser 0.9c is released

Postby torhu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:21 am

Since I've made some minor fixes, I'm making a release :twisted:

Version 0.9c adds support for Reaction (rq3.com), and fixes Urban Terror 4.2 support. And as always, an updated IP database is included.

Monster Browser web site

Have a nice summer, cowboys :wink:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: Monster Browser 0.9c is released

Postby Barto » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Nice to hear about this project getting updated after Google code's migration. 8)

May I ask you out of curiosity, why D as a programming language? I've tried it in a small hacky parser for my introduction to database course and got a clean impression out of it. Is it the same with larger application like Monster Browser? I particularly like the idea that it compiles in native code than requiring it to be executed through a VM like java bytecode.

Have a nice summer torhu as well :wink:
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby torhu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:02 am

D is pretty nice, at least the D 1.0 language that I used was. The language on dlang.org is D 2.0, which is more complicated. If I were to start another GUI program project, I would probably use C++. D's weak library support is limiting.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Barto » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:01 am

Oh, so it's D 1.0 used here, I didn't know that.

torhu wrote:If I were to start another GUI program project, I would probably use C++. D's weak library support is limiting.

Let me grin after you told that D is now more complicated, but you would switch to C++ :-)
It is understandable in a way since there are a lot of already built libraries for it (Qt, GTK and such).

Agreed about the D library weakness, it is not a well known language and does have only the standard library to be widely used and tested. There are a lot of stuffs in there, even a CSV parser (very useful for me when I tried it for my database course).
But when I compare to, say Java's standard packages, D is way more clean, well thought, generic and does not have rusty corners all over the place.

One thing I have to complain about D is their compiler. The official dmd compiler is not under a free licence, and the other compilers (built on top of gcc or llvm) are often reporting different compilers errors on other machines. My parser was compiling fine with ldc on my Linux machine. But when I gave this to a friend on Windows, he could not even compile the code using dmd. I was quite surprised about it.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:35 am

Thanks Tor.
One of these days, we'll have to coordinate a time to play together again. Like old times. :twisted:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:13 am

Yeah, that would be fun! Wonder if I even remember how to shoot :lol:
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 am

I can shoot & reload! Aiming might be a problem. 8O