With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Automatic bot management [kick/add on payer join/quit]

Postby illwieckz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:08 am

Hi, is there a way in Smokin'Guns to enable bots then automatically kick one bot each time a new player joins, and spawn a new one each time someone disconnects ? :twisted:
gg.illwieckz.net { le frag courtois }En français dans le geste
illwieckz
Pistolero

Re: Automatic bot management [kick/add on payer join/quit]

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:26 am

illwieckz wrote:is there a way in Smokin'Guns to enable bots?

The standard way is to set the variable bot_minplayers. If you seta bot_minplayers 3, three bots will always be present on an empty server. If a human connects, a bot will be removed. If three or more humans connect, no bots will be present on the server.

Aside from that built-in mechanism, people use external bash/perl/python scripts to monitor servers and adding bots, whenever necessary. This allows a more flexible control, but you need a host which permanently runs these scripts.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby illwieckz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:02 pm

If you seta bot_minplayers 3, three bots will always be present on an empty server. If a human connects, a bot will be removed.

Oh nice, that was exactly what I expected, to not have to write my own bash/python fast-and-dirty script to do that. Thank you very much ! :D
illwieckz
Pistolero

Postby illwieckz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Hmm, when I have two bots playing on the server and no one real player, the smokin'guns built-in server browser shows 1 player online, is it a known bug? 8O

Also, is there a way to personalize bot names? I want to add a special prefix to show easily they are bots, and perhaps use the bot names I commonly use on other games. :twisted:
illwieckz
Pistolero

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:28 pm

illwieckz wrote:Is it a known bug?
Don't know.

illwieckz wrote:Is there a way to personalize bot names?

If you'd use a script to control bots, you could use that to add named bots. Without such a script, I think, one would have to extract scripts/bots.txt from sg_pak0.pk3, edit it, and make the game to use the modified version.

The last step should be similar to other Q3-based games. I think, your SG server may use the file, if it was put under .smokinguns/smokinguns/scripts/bots.txt. Alternatively, you could put it into your own .pk3 and make your server reference that.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel