With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Hello gunslingers

Postby Fenris The Wolf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 am

After a couple years not being around, I have been playing again on and off over the last few days.. the server is almost like a ghostown :cry: I have seen two or three players here and there which is great, but nothing like it used to be, I miss the chaos of a crowded DM map.

Anyway, I'm hoping this is just a lull, and I'll be honing up my rusty skills (such as they are) in anticipation. just dropped by to say hello to all.

~Peace
Fenris The Wolf
Drifter

Re: Hello gunslingers

Postby gunsmoker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:36 am

Hey whats happening Fenris,

Me too. I love Smokin Guns. so much fun. I have recently downloaded sg again too. I have been away for a while. Something I noticed is that when I downloaded for windows it was choppy. but on my dual boot linux it runs smooth, aside from not ebing able to adjust brightness. This is on two comps so far by the way.

We should get people playing SG again. its the most fun game there is. I was watching SDE Lons videos on his youtube. seeing all the old names had we wishing for the glory days of SG again. I know I could get Rose Thug playing again if there were games.

I tried fistful of frag. its not as fun, just blast fest. lots of people play though

What was so fun about SG was bank robber mode. it was finesse of having one life for the round. SG is tops.

Tequila, Something I was thinking. everyone uses steam these days. any possibility of getting the game uploaded to steam for free? I bet alot of people would start playing again

It might revive it.

Any ways, Thank you to the developers and mods of this game. I have had so much fun playing it.

Heres to hopes of playing some filled games again.

cheers
gunsmoker
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 am

gunsmoker wrote:Tequila, Something I was thinking. everyone uses steam these days. any possibility of getting the game uploaded to steam for free? I bet alot of people would start playing again

It might revive it.

Hi gunsmoker & gunsligers !

@gunsmoker, well, your Steam thought is joining one I had a long time ago. But I lost my motivation at the same time I lost time for SG. This was really frustrating to not finish again stuff for SG. And it is still frustrating as I maintains site/forum hosting and few servers hosting since years as a "poor lonesome cowboy". To be honest, but I think anyone still around knows that, SG may disappear if at any time in the future it lost my involving ;)
I'm still alive and such an issue is not for tomorrow.
Also hope and fresh blood could avoid this issue.
So let's say I'll try to find some time this year to join the Steam way. Maybe you're right and fresh blood could come around after that...
:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Fenris The Wolf wrote:I miss the chaos of a crowded DM map.

Ah, the good old times, where there was so much hectic action, one really got exhausted after a few games... :lol:

There's no point denying that SG's player base has declined over the last few years. But this is understandable: every day, new games are being published and SG, like many other similar games, got almost no attention. And I doubt anyone steps up to devise some kind of clever advertising or marketing campaign for free, so this trend will likely to continue.

Nevertheless, you could ask your friends to try out SG. And you could propose and coordinate a weekly meeting on your favorite DM server. Via this forum post and/or via social media.

Tequila, you could reconsider to publish the sources for building the game assets / pk3s. At least a few years ago, this would have made a difference. Maybe it will still induce some life.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby WASP.Killer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 pm

SG on Steam with the latest ioq3 and patches would be great. It's not going to tear up the charts but as a free FPS which is very different from most other shooters on Steam it will attract additional players.

Perhaps you could get some of the old map and model designers willing to revisit their creations by "enhancing" the graphics and offering the result as an inexpensive and optional DLC at some point after the initial Steam release.

---------------------------------

Tequila if you don't have your own dedicated or VPS web server, and instead you are paying to host the SG site and forum, I can offer you free cPanel hosting with all the usual LAMP goodness. btw, I've run the Good, Bad & Ugly server since 2011.
WASP.Killer
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:11 am

Hi @WASP.Killer,

every thing is hosted on my own dedicated server in dedicated virtual machines.

Thank you for your offer, but don't worry, this is not a problem right now as, you know, SG related is not really huge...

@TheDoctor, about releasing game assets sources, well, I would prefer this was like that since the beginning. You know I'm an open-source pro. But I don't own any source and I can't myself to that. All we could do would be to focus on releasing a full open-source based game, and start to contact all old good guys who produced such great maps if they agree to release their sources as opened... Huge work... Any volonteer ? ;)
If any one want to start such a project I would really like to help backport last years ioq3 enhancements to SG !
A you know, the wiki, based on Trac can help !
Volonteers !!! Come on !

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Tequila wrote:About releasing game assets sources, well, I would prefer this was like that since the beginning. You know I'm an open-source pro. But I don't own any source and I can't myself to that.

I think we have do distinguish between making the sources available on one hand and putting all assets under one chosen license on the other. The first thing should be possible at any time, while the latter is a task I believe, we are not capable of in the near future. From what I know, certain assets are already under a specific license and there may not be a common license that is compatible with all assets. But as far as I see it, since this didn't stop us to compile the assets into PK3 files, making them available via SVN or GIT shouldn't be that different.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby YourPalMark » Mon May 15, 2017 12:07 am

Hey gang, thought I'd chime in now that I've finally succeeded in registering to the Forum! |D I only started playing Smokin' Guns on a regular basis a few months ago, but now play almost daily. (I've figured out the most likely times to find other players) I've been trying to spread the word about Smokin' Guns, and hopefully it'll make some sort of comeback. Anyhow, glad to be here and hope to see y'all in the game!
- YourPalMark
YourPalMark
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Mark, glad to see on the forum and thanks for spreading the word. Rock on!
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby gunsmoker » Wed May 17, 2017 2:45 am

Hey my good ol pal mark,

Good seeing you on the servers shootin lately. I have been spreading the word again about SG and trying to recruit new and old players, as well as playing often again myself.

You mentioned you are scanning the servers to see when people are playing most. Any common times you are seeing people play bank robbery? Thug says he will play bank robbery but is not that interested in death match. BR is preference as well but I will take what I can get and join in on some DM.

Anyways, lets revive SG and look forward to seeing you on the servers |D
gunsmoker
Pistolero

Postby YourPalMark » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:36 am

gunsmoker wrote:You mentioned you are scanning the servers to see when people are playing most. Any common times you are seeing people play bank robbery? Thug says he will play bank robbery but is not that interested in death match. BR is preference as well but I will take what I can get and join in on some DM.

Actually my preference is DM, and to be honest I haven't payed any attention to bank robbery activity. I usually find other players mid-day (around 2:00 pm here in Texas, which would be 19:00 utc I believe) but with the Baller Bude server down the regular players are getting harder to find. I've not really tried BR, but I'll have to give it a look!
YourPalMark
Drifter

Postby ismailyalkoo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Same here. I love SG and the most i love bank robbery but like you said the servers are like ghost towns...
Maybe we will get SG back on track if we try. If someone has any ideas say them.
SG is gold.
ismailyalkoo
Newcomer

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel