With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
*** Get the scoop on western flicks you should see. ***

Moderator: EvilFutsin

The Hunting Party (1971)

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Well, folks, it's time to move from traditional. Now we go from the typical spaghetti westerns, the classics, and the epics. It's time to go underrated, underappreciated, and downright bleak and depressing. This is not your typical western. But it's a damn good one. Here we have a film that's close to my heart and one I hope to pay homage to for the WQ3 promo video. It's also one of those kick-butt films released in 1971, one of many (this includes Dirty Harry, The Godfather, Straw Dogs, Bruce Lee's The Big Boss/Fists of Fury, and Godzilla vs. Hedorah).

Cowpokes, I bring thee:

THE HUNTING PARTY

Trailer (Poor Quality)

The Stats:
Director: Don Medford
Cast: Oliver Reed, Candice Bergin, and Gene Hackman
Type: Spaghetti/Peckinpah inspired U.S. Western
Supercool Trivia: Filmed in Spain! (seems to use some of the locations from Long Days Of Vengeance)
Availability: Rare - Amazon US - Doesn't seem to be any other release than Region 1. Sorry, Euroes!! :(

The Content:
Checklist:

Band Of Outlaws - CHECK!
Posse Badguys - CHECK!
Silly Music - CHECK!
Spanish Filming Locations - CHECK!
Peckinpah-style Slo-Mo - CHECK!
Supercool SHARPS RIFLES - VERY MUCH CHECK!
Bleak Walk In The Sandy Desert - CHECK!
Gorgeous Nature Flourishes/Expanses - CHECK!
`70s Exploitation Movie Rape - CHECK!
Bad Guy Torturing Innocents - CHECK! (prostitute + cigar)
Huge Peckinpah-style Bloodsquibs - CHECK!
Dissolve to "B&W Photo" - CHECK!
Animal Violence - CHECK! (cow killing, lots of shot horses)
Bummer 70s Ending - CHECK!

The Review:

I thank my dad for a lot of things. Amongst them, playing a part in my creation! But, seriously, a big one I'm thankful for is his movie suggestions. Although I have a way of finding newer obscure stuff from Asia, my dad was an ?ber-geek of movies when he was young and saw a lot of films from America. (he grew up in Sri Lanka and Africa, btw) And if he didn't see it, he heard of it and wanted to see it. One such film in one of those categories, I can't recall which, was The Hunting Party. A bleak and dark western featuring the always-intense Oliver Reed (what I wouldn't give to see him and Patrick McGoohan face off, hah :D ) and a very bastardy Gene Hackman squaring off over a woman. The one thing he mentioned that got me hooked immediately (as I'm sure he knew would) - Sharps Rifle usage to a high degree.

The film starts out in an emotionally violent way, giving vicious harmony to a stark beginning with a cow being killed by outlaw Frank Calder (Reed) crosscut with the wife (Bergin) of land-owner Brandt Ruger (Hackman) getting some harsh "honey, that's too rough" sex from her husband. Setting a tone about the characters and the overall vibe of the film (of men who violently abuse God's creatures, be it animal or human), the film goes into "deliberately paced 60s/70s film" mode, giving us some set up. We have the Brandt going on a hunting trip with his buddies, on his own personal train, all set up to have some fun with fine eatings and some hookers; leaving their wives and families behind for now. Now alone, Brandt's wife, Melissa, goes to her task in the area as a School Teacher. Things don't go as normal for very long, though, as Frank's gang roll through town and kidnap Melissa. The only reason given is that Frank, being an illiterate outlaw, wants to learn how to read.

Of course, word spreads to Brandt and his folks, and the Hunting Party decides that maybe some outlaws would be good game to take down with their shiny new Sharps Rifles, with a range of up to 800 yards. :)

There's a lot of typical directions the film takes and I won't really talk too much about it. Obviously, Frank and Melissa grow close, as we've come to realize that Brandt is a complete and utter trashbomb of a human being. And as the film progresses, you see the claustrophobic squeeze of the Hunting Party and the diminishing numbers of the Outlaws create a further grim and hopeless atmosphere. Things aren't going to end well.

But to be honest, that's what makes this film kind of special. Although films like most of Corbucci's westerns and many other westerns at the time were experimenting with the new "bummer ending" that the late-60s/early-70s was playing with; there's an air of true hopelessness to the events that take place after the first gunshot that stays and grows with the rest of the movie. It's a hell of a dark descent to go on.

But hey, while you're at it, check out the amazing scenery! 8) Featuring what is easily some of the best location scouting of an American western, there's some great Spain dry riverbeds, open fields, and even forests that're used for the film that are some of the most memorable locations I've seen in a western. It was one thing that really took me by surprise, how amazingly vivid the locations appared through their cinematography. I know I was going gaga over the areas from Long Riders, too, but this is a much different type of look and one that really defines the film in a great way. I mean, granted, after seeing Long Days of Vengeance (which used the same dry riverbed), some impact is loss to me now, I can't let it get to me that much. Just look at the pics below (well, when I post'em, it's late here) and you'll see what I mean.

The areas where the film is shot, though, are a great setting for the violence and grisly death that ensues once the Hunting Party catches up. This is definitely a post-Peckinpah western, since the squibs are big, they're nasty, and the shots are brutal. There's a few when they're at a watering hole that appear to be on bare skin that I will say are not only just good-for-their-time gore splats, but hold up in technology even today (if only Robert Rodriguez had used this for Navajas, ya know?). But even when it's just through clothing as you're used to, the execution of these kills are astoundingly brutal and well-worth seeing for wannabe filmmakers like me. ;) It's very believable and at times a little heartbreaking when it gets later on in the film. But if you ever wanted to see some serious, harsh Sharps Rifle usage - this is where it's at!

There's more I could go into, like Hackman's awesome job as a total asshole (an archetype he did so well in this, Prime Cut, and French Connection), Oliver Reed's amazingly balanced take on Frank Calder, and the extremely fun-to-watch spunkiness and resilience of Candice as Melissa. I could go into the pretty damn good Riz Ortolani score. The "wow, that's a nice shot" camera work. And a few more things, too. But it's late, I'm tired, and this is a film that's best seen, THEN talked about. It's not maybe as fantastically perfect as the other films so-far suggested, but it's a damn fine piece of work that's worthy of being brought to the forefront. It's not your typical 70s exploitation movie and it's not your typical U.S. western.

Thumbs, scopes, and jars of peaches up! :lol:

The Pics:

Last edited by EvilFutsin on Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:24 pm

I guess there's no chance of my local video store having this film either. :roll: I'm going to just order some of these flicks over the net & be done with it. Another nice review dude. You always make me want to watch these obscure works. And I will dammit!
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:13 am

I never heard of this one. Hurry up and buy it Red so's we can watch it. A+ review! :D
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby =Chico= » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:20 am

Hoy COw- I didn't realize that Oliver Reed was the same guy that acted in Gladiator as Proximo. Now I surely must see this..
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby EvilFutsin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:17 am

Oliver Reed had a helluva career. From working with David Cronenberg, Sergio Sollima (on a modern-day thriller, not a western), Ken Russell (he's the stepdad in Tommy), Ridley Scott, Michael Winner, Richard Lester, and others - to also just being one damn fine actor. Cool dude (when it comes to films anyway, in real-life he was a drunk and a sexist).

He's great in The Brood. Very evil psychologist guy. Film's a tad uneven, though, one of Cronenberg's earlier body-horror pieces.

I highly suggest Sollima's Revolver though, even if the US dub is not Oliver it's a fantastic performance in a fantastic film.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:17 am

I remember seeing him in The Trap on tv once. Heh, hard to forget a face like that. Best I remember, he put in a great performance for that flick. The scene that sticks in my mind is when he cuts off his own leg when it gets frostbite. 8O Canadian fur trapper movie. :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:31 am

Pics posted. 8)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:14 pm

So what do you think folks? SHould I pick a movie for next month that you can actually get your mitts on? :wink:
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:21 pm

The Longriders & Once Upon a Time in the West shouldn't be too hard to find in the USA. But yeah, the other films reviewed here might be tough. Especially in a small town where I live. :roll: But like I've mentioned before, most of them are available for purchase on the net. I say review whatever you want to. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:36 pm

EvilFutsin wrote:So what do you think folks? SHould I pick a movie for next month that you can actually get your mitts on? :wink:

As long as you don't get too far away from the genre, I think you should write about any films you like. I like hearing about the more obscure stuff, just for the sake of learning. And, ya never know what you might pick up at a garage sale.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby EvilFutsin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:21 pm

It won't stray too far at all, really. Not going into "modern action film" territory unless it's something like Extreme Prejudice (basically a complicated Wild Bunch remake) or Desperado (which kind of, technically, still counts as a modern day western). The kookiest thing you can expect is a certain samurai film that most (if not all) of the people here have never even heard the title of. When you see that review posted, you'll completely understand why. 8)

I just wish there was more Western Horror movies. :( (is there any other aside from Keoma?)
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:02 pm

EvilFutsin wrote:I just wish there was more Western Horror movies. :( (is there any other aside from Keoma?)

Billy The Kid Versus Dracula! No "Kid"ding...
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby EvilFutsin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:37 am

Crap! How could I forgot such a classic....I guess because I'm always distracted by Dracula A.D. 1972. ;)

Still not sure what to do next month. Guess I pick one of the Spaghetti westerns at random or something.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:30 pm

EvilFutsin wrote:Still not sure what to do next month. Guess I pick one of the Spaghetti westerns at random or something.

Lots of peeps probably still don't know about the Kurosawa/Leone connection. Maybe you could write about Yojimbo and Fistful...
Or maybe that's too film-school-geeky.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm

DeUgli wrote:Maybe you could write about Yojimbo and Fistful...
Or maybe that's too film-school-geeky.

Hey, now that you mention it, I do see these two films, but I never notice the relation between these.
(I just remember that they ended in the same way ...)

@EvilFutsin, about the movie choice, just pick one at random. I don't know if everybody here are film guru like you ;)
I'm quite a newbie about Western movies (I just see "Django" and "Once upon in the West", last week :D)
I will try to pick "the Hunting Party" too.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Next

Return to Western Movie of the Month

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel