With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

NoNameCity: Here It IS!

Postby Pardner » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:40 pm

My map is included in the "fan-made map pack"...
http://bootblock.de/wq3/download.html
http://western.bsdmon.com/
http://www.complex-microcosm.com

Just like Red's Highnoon2 and Berli's Backwater, I would like suggestions/comments on spwanpoints (item and player), gameplay, and of course bug report. This map is a big improvement over my last map, but it is not perfect. You can use this thread for your comments.

*Known Issues
Frame rate hits -FPS will drop if you stand by the saloon and look toward the barn.
Lighting- its good on my PC, but the buildings are kind of dark. I know that it will be darker on other people's PCs; I hope it's not too dark to play on.
Bots- they have a hard time getting out of the church in RTP as well as the usual bot stuff.

-Pardner
Last edited by Pardner on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Hey pardner, geat to see a new betamap!! :)

I just played a few minutes : nice map so far. Aren't you going to make the BRmap as a snow version?! I hope you got some whether effects for it. That would be great... :wink:

Suggestions: Theres a small mine shaft behind a box, where you can't get into it. I don't know you already planned it, but i would like to be able to dicover the tunnel there:

Here a screenshot:

I hope i can play this map soon on server with some real players
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:48 pm

yes, Im working on the BR mode. I just cant decide between night and not snowing or day and snowing.

to get into the tunnel, open the door. :D

Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 pm

Impressive first WQ3 map! :D Lot's of nice touches and I really like the overall design. You're attention to detail is to be commended. Small layout but with lot's of cover & buildings to explore. I'm guessing that this is going to be a very fun map, with a sweet spot of 4 to 6 players. Do you think you'll adress the lighting issues soon? I'd hate to put it on RAWHIDE if you'll just release a new version in a day or so. Should I wait or go ahead and put it in the rotation now?

This is great for WQ3! It's been a very long time since a fan-made map showed up around here. With any luck, you'll inspire others to create new levels for all to enjoy. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Great, great, great 8) ... but, the spiderweb :cry: I wanted to do that .... too late it seems :mrgreen:
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Pardner wrote:to get into the tunnel, open the door. :D

I'm really ashamed of my self not seeing the crosshair turned yellow..... :D
Thought it's a breakable...even tried to open it with dyna... :lol:

BTW: Can't it be night and snowing??
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby hika » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:14 pm

Hey Pardner ! Great job ! You really impress me !
I was just wandering in the map for half an hour.
Very huge map with lots of nice touches and details, many places to explore (BTW I'm still not sure if I have covered all the map) ...

I like the bell's sound when we climb the robe in the church.
This will alarm some people that someone can/will camp on the church roof ;)

I can't wait to see how it will be with real players and BR mode.
I expect a very awesome and various gameplay.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:01 am

Very fun map!
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Caffeine » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:16 am

Agreed. I thought that I wouldn't like it at first, but that was before I actually played it. It's definitely a very fun map with a lot of variety. The only things that could be better are:

- Performance. This map is a framerate-killer, even without particles enabled. However, feel free to ignore me if I'm the only person to mention it; I plan to upgrade soon, anyways.
- More believable clipping... I know that you want to have a lot of eyecandy, but it's a bit annoying when I can see the railroad tracks and should be able to get over there, yet an invisible wall prevents me from doing so.

Those are very minor concerns, though. I'm definitely looking forward to playing your map online again. :)
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:17 am

hika wrote:I like the bell's sound when we climb the robe in the church.
This will alarm some people that someone can/will camp on the church roof ;)

I found out from testing with my brother that w/o the bell, a person could go up on the roof and snipe while the other people didnt have a clue where it was comming from.

Hellrider wrote:I'm really ashamed of my self not seeing the crosshair turned yellow..... :D
Thought it's a breakable...even tried to open it with dyna... :lol:

you can also use tnt on the grave cover :wink: (and the bank safe)

Caffeine wrote:- Performance. This map is a framerate-killer, even without particles enabled. However, feel free to ignore me if I'm the only person to mention it; I plan to upgrade soon, anyways.

this is on the "to do" list. might get some help from the SG team to improve FPS

Caffeine wrote: More believable clipping... I know that you want to have a lot of eyecandy, but it's a bit annoying when I can see the railroad tracks and should be able to get over there, yet an invisible wall prevents me from doing so.

hehe, you arent the first. I was thinking about opening up the R&R tracks, but didnt bother for this release. I felt that the action was in the center and going out around the town would take too much time.

how is the lighting? I talked to Red, Berli, and L3th4l. 2 said good, 2 said bad :roll:

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:07 pm

About the lighting:

It's good outside the houses, but i need more light inside the houses. I find it is too dark there.
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby sig11 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:21 pm

Cool map indeed !

I played it with a default settings and find the lights inside the buildings too dark, as well. The church is ok AFAIR (and can naturally be a bit dark anyways ;-) ...).
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:34 pm

This weekend I will be trying my map on an old PC with a CRT. I?ve tweaked the lights so it looks "too" bright on mine. So in theory, it should look good on yours.

Hopefully it won't be too much of an inconvenience if I up load a new version Monday.

Left: old -- Right: new
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Pardner
SG Team

Postby hika » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:09 am

Pardner wrote:This weekend I will be trying my map on an old PC with a CRT. I?ve tweaked the lights so it looks "too" bright on mine. So in theory, it should look good on yours.
[..]
Hopefully it won't be too much of an inconvenience if I up load a new version Monday.

From the screenshots, the brightness should be good enough.
Until Monday (or later), have a good work on it and don't push yourself too hard ;)
Then, if you don't mind, I will put on my Wasteland public server.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:05 am

The last 'after' screenshot looks perfect on my monitor. The first two are a vast improvement though still on the dark side, so to speak. The 'before' pics are extremely dark on my setup. Looking forward to your next version Pardner! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Next

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel