With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

2.2 and gravy

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:37 pm

What a great job! The 2.2, maps and ugrades, etc...great job! You can even see your guy in the dressing mirror,(I shot it the first time. I also shot the invisible snake in the old coach). I get good pings, though my guy freezes regularly for about 2 seconds, which is long enough to get shot with these guys! Is it maybe my wireless router setup? Anyway, I just had to say nice work!
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:05 am

Great to hear from you CL! And thanks for your praises. :) Yes, your wireless setup COULD be the problem.... but I'm not saying it is. (You're playing other humans online when this happens? Or against bots? Does it happen on all maps?) If you can tell us anything else about your trouble let us know & we'll do our best to help you figure it out.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:45 am

Thanks Red,
Yah, it's like clockwork...bots, players, any map, every minute or so, the scene just stops for a couple seconds, and then resumes. I assume it's at my end, 'cause it happens in all cases. I have a linksys card getting 54mbps from the router in the next room, and I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. It runs super for a minute or so intervals.??? I also saw a listing of mods, and good ol' Wq3, even with all the war and beast popularity, is one of the few to be running and improving and fun. Kudos, again.
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:02 am

Glad you like wq3. :)

About your problem. I guess it's an obvious question, but do you play any other games or q3 mods, and do you have the same problems then?

And when wq3 stops, does it just freeze completely? If your hand and weapon still move a bit, but nothing else does, it's a connection problem. Then you could try plugging the pc directly into the modem, etc. Or run ping for a while and see if it times out sometimes.

We'll fix this somehow. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby hika » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:20 am

Not to sound like a silly boy, but do you have some kind of program running on background, and eating (a bit) CPU at interval, when you play ?
I remember having this problem, until I found out that the one responsible was my homemade IRC client, when there was lots of channel traffic :oops:
This CPU small peak at interval was causing the game to freeze a bit, and then resume.

Good to see someone who have gratefulness :D
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Ping

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19 am

Thanks, Guys,
Not silly at all. I wondered if some task was turning on and robbing the program. But now I notice that my guy's legs might still be moving, and the rifle swaying a bit, but everything else is a standstill. Sooo, that's probably my signal? I'm great at Autocad, but, um , how do you "ping" to see if it spikes? :?
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:44 am

ping is a command line tool that comes with Windows and other OS's. It just sends a special message to a server of your choice (the 'ping'), and hopefully the server will send a reply ('pong') back. Then it prints how long it took. It's like the ping column in q3.

But if you haven't noticed this problem in other games, using ping might not be of any help. But you can always try.

Open a command line window and run 'ping -t google.com', or ping some reliable server close to where you live. I use the local university's web server. You can also use the ip address of a wq3 server (without the port), but whether the reply comes from the actual server machine or not will vary.

You can also ping your ISP's gateway, using the address in your router's config. Or you can ping your router to see if that is the problem.

The point is to look for timeouts, or pings that are suddenly a lot higher than the rest. I also get this kind of lag, but not as often as you seem to do.

This was probably a bit confusing, but I hope you can figure something out. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:49 pm

Heyho,

I have the same problem as ChainLighnin (maybe not as bad). Whenever I use my notebook with wireless WQ becomes almost unplayable. I don't wanna spoil our joy for having released the beta2.2 but I GUESS that this behavior is caused by the new version (probably the unlagged code?) ...

dunno ... something for our technical masters to figure out.

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Re: Ping

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:09 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:I'm great at Autocad

Ho-ho! Another CAD guru in our midsts, eh? I use that program all day, every day at my job. Having experience with that program made learning to map for WQ3 less daunting for me. (Hint, hint!) Mind if I ask what you do for a living?
Btw, love yer avatar. The Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my all-time favorite westerns. 8)
Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself, heh-heh-heh...
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:01 am

Yah, Josie and G,B & U are on the top for me. I was sure you'd pick up on that ol' guy in the buffaloskins. Great scene. I can actually do that pistol flip with one hand, but not both. Architect for 23 years. Really fun if I get to solid model and render places. (Of course I've wandered through your towns when no one was playing just to look at all the artwork). I'm still checking to see if the freeze problem is at my end, but also appreciate that it might be somewhere else. I'm playin' anyway! Thanks Guys! :D
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:27 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:I can actually do that pistol flip with one hand, but not both.

My pop has some black powder pistols. Super fun stuff & makes me feel like Josey when I shoot'em. Never tried the pistol flip though.
ChainLightnin' wrote:Architect for 23 years. Really fun if I get to solid model and render places.

You use Autocad for architecture drafting?!? Ever try Autodesk Revit? Cool proggy, but I personally don't dig drawing buildings. It makes some neat renders though. I much prefer playing with 3d modeling programs like Inventor or Solidworks. But it seems I have the most fun with GTKRadiant these days. Too bad it doesn't pay! :P
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Blackpowder

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:43 am

Fun, Red,
Josie had those giant Colt Walkers that he flipped. I have an 1861 Navy, probably like your Pop's, that flips really nice. Well balanced for the times, I guess. Autocad was addopted as the industry standard for Architecture some time ago. And Revit, as you said, is the choice, of course, to import your CAD drawings for the nice presentations to clients! I've never had a good modeler like GTK Radiant or the others, but I wanted to do industrial design as a kid, and I'm often messing around trying to make some cool doodad and render it with as much as Acad will do. Fun stuff! I'll check out GTK.
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: Blackpowder

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:50 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:Josie had those giant Colt Walkers that he flipped. I have an 1861 Navy, probably like your Pop's, that flips really nice

Actually, my dad has 3 or 4 different models but I can't remember which ones. (Haven't shot them in years.) I'll have to ask him. Better yet, maybe I can take some photos & start a new topic.
ChainLightnin' wrote:And Revit, as you said, is the choice, of course, to import your CAD drawings for the nice presentations to clients! I've never had a good modeler like GTK Radiant or the others

I never imported a CAD drawing to Revit. You can draw the entire project & do renders all within Revit. A lot of folks seem to think Autocad will be phased out in a few years. Btw, GTKRadiant isn't really a modeler & I didn't mean to lump it in with Inventor or Solidworks. It's the free software that people use to make Quake3 levels. It's actually much more similar to Autocad than anything else. If you do decide to fart around with it, get version 1.4 instead of the latest release. 1.5 crashes a lot.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

gtk

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Oh, so that's what GTK Radiant is! Now I really have to check it out. That could be fun! A blackpowder clinic thread could be fun, too. When Blondie loaded those cartridges in a 51 Colt Navy blackpowder, I said no way. But I checked into it and they actually had a conversion that all those boys got, to use early cartridges. Leone and Eastwood were surprisingly authentic, I think. (Oh, maybe ask you dad about the Richards-Mason conversion, Hartford, I think?)
Chain
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:02 am

Ever watch Pale Rider? Very cool how Clint had the "quick-loader" cylinder swap for his black powder pistols. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Next

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel