With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

The .45 that blew up in my hand

Postby Dadamungo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:46 pm

Yep, for real this gun blew up one day on the range while firing it. Three shells went off at once (or within a second of each other).

I use to reload my shells. I'm not sure exactly what happened although I'd guess at a double load of very hot powder. I'd just upgraded to police issue gun powder. Another suggestion by a gunsmith was that there might have been some oil/powder on the shells which sparked the other 2 shells. So I fired and a split second later, I hear another bigger bang (the 2 shells). I had some residue fly back and hit me in the face, but somehow I did not get hurt at all. My first reaction was to look at my hand, still in shock but looked like all my digits were still there, so I ran back to the truck and looked in the mirror, nope, no blood... huh, not even any marks. Although I think it took some time off my life!

Another thing the gunsmith said. "You're lucky you bought a good gun, if you had a crappy gun, you might not be here talking to me. Or, you wouldn't have that hand."

Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:54 pm

Scary stuff. I sure am glad you didn't get hurt. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:58 pm

yep, all it takes is one second to end your life. I'm glad you are ok.
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:52 am

Dada, your story is frightening.
Hopefully, you are OK, physically, but it may be quite a shock ... even for your little son ?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Wow

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:57 am

Wow, not " a failin' common to that model!" My Dad lost some fingers in a similar deal years ago. Glad you didn't! Is that an American Gun? My replicas are Italian made. Blackpowder can chainfire, but cartridges??
Chain
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: Wow

Postby Dadamungo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:05 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:Wow, not " a failin' common to that model!" My Dad lost some fingers in a similar deal years ago. Glad you didn't! Is that an American Gun? My replicas are Italian made. Blackpowder can chainfire, but cartridges??
Chain

It was a Ruger Blackhawk .45. I would have to agree that chainfiring seemed less likely to me as well, but make me feel like less of a dumbass than loading a double charge of powder :D
Dadamungo
Shootist

Chainfire

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:33 pm

Oh, it certainly looks like at least two cartridges went off from the wrong end! I'm not sure if a double load would even bother a Ruger, anyway. :)
Chain
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby WTF BOOM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:28 pm

One of my friends had a similar experience with a shotgun, except he blew two of his fingers off. He had to go to the hospital for 2 months. The gunpowder exploded when he was reloading. Hes better thaly now. When I asked him, he said God was tere at that moment.
WTF BOOM
Drifter

Re: The .45 that blew up in my hand

Postby jorgea » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm

That is another good reason to own a very nice gun versus a cheap model.
Last edited by Tequila on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spamer links
jorgea
Newcomer

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel