With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Anything not SG related goes here. Just keep it clean!

Moderator: Pardner

Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Postby Chainsaw » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:28 am

FWIW, I usually exit and enter the freeway for my home->work commute at the first exit south of the collapse. The collapse was on the opposite side of my commute, just barely. I've been over that stretch of road dozens, if not a hundred times. Kind of gives me the chills.

Anyway, today was a Twins game, and that always means high traffic that way, so I took a different route home. The collapse wouldn't have affected me other than extra traffic, but listening to the radio on the way home really hit home. I was in my car, on my way home when it happened. Traffic was actually lighter than normal, which I attribute to all the traffic that couldn't make its way onto my section of freeway.

No one I know was hurt; at least one person I know was stuck in the miles long back log. She called me and I used google maps to talk her through alternate routes home.

Just thought I'd post this to show that CNN is actually about real people too.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:26 am

Darn glad you weren't there when it happened. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:18 am

I completely second Red's sentiments. Damn. O_O

Harsh stuff. I'm curious to see how this event develops.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

35dub

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Yah, geez Chainsaw, that's a mess! I know that 35 Dub bridge has been there a while, as I used to use it many moons ago to see my lady (who is now my wife). Minneapolis is famous for its outstanding architecture and structures. Surprised to see that collapse. Vehicles are much heavier now, and more of them, along with age and constant vibration on old steel and concrete. I'll bet some of the other structures will get a good look at now! Again, glad you weren't in that!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Structures

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:12 am

This reminded me: I was surfing at the Oregon coast a week ago. The water was about 70 degrees, (it's usually 54). Driving through Futsin's territory we saw this new tram tower. You could say that engineering has changed some since they built the bridge on 35W in Minneapolis. 8O
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:53 am

I thought of you immediately, Chainsaw. I'm sad about the deaths and destruction, but I'm glad you weren't among the victims.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby haraldx » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 am

wow didnt waited something like that ! I Was Thinking Theres Nothing Going On With The Bridge ! But Now My Mind Changed ! Im Happy You Didnt Died Or Get To The Hospital ! Then Who Would Help All The Thingys , uh ? Red ? I Dont Think So ! But Maybe !
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby Chainsaw » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm

It still feels pretty surreal around here. Two people I know are in the hospital, but neither is hurt badly. They're shaken up, bruised and sore, but otherwise fine. Their cars are totaled, obviously.

In many of the photos, there is another bridge visible just a few blocks away. One of my friends had decided to take that bridge instead of the bridge that collapsed in order to avoid the MN Twins game traffic. He was on the other bridge when the first collapsed. Just that close.

The garage I park at is between the bridge and the nearest hospital; about 4 blocks from the bridge, and 2 blocks from the hospital. There are camera crews from Europe, China, Japan, Australia, etc. Rescue and dive crews from everywhere too, just crazy. I worked from home today, figuring they don't need one more car moving through the area.

Thanks to all for the concern showed. I've been getting calls from people I haven't spoken to in quite a while; friends, siblings, cousins. I'm just glad that so few people really have been hurt.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby hika » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 pm

:? The news just reached me on TV, in France.
Seems that, most of the bridges, in the US, are not really in a good shape (that's what I just heard), and need to be revised.

Anyway, I'm glad you are OK, Chainsaw.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Hah, hey, the Portland Tram. =p Yeah, spiffy little thing we're getting there. I'd hate to think what could (or would, since it's possible) if some disaster occurred on that big hunk of metal. Collapsing on buildings, houses...phew. And they're building so many apartments/dorm/condo buildings for the people at the bottom now...I sincerely hope that it holds and that indeed, things have changed enough that we know what we're doing a little better.

Again, dude, really happy you weren't hurt in any of that. I'm sorry for the people you know getting dinged up though. It's still a traumatic experience in any case to go through something like that. So many of the disasters we've had recently, 9/11 and Katrina/New Orleans etc., that when people outside of it are confronted by something, I'm sure the panic "oh my God I'm going to be a little digit in one full thousand" suddenly hits pretty badly, and that's the kind of fear that lasts. :(

My main concern is that the country won't look into bridges it needs to start working on repairing/rebuilding. Sigh.
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Chainsaw » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:21 pm

My main concern is that the country won't look into bridges it needs to start working on repairing/rebuilding. Sigh.

This is where I expect the major fallout to occur. Our governor has been so adamant about not raising taxes that he vetoed bills that were supported by both parties to raise taxes specifically for road repair. On other occasions he cut funding for road building. What's more, apparently a structural check of that bridge showed levels of metal fatigue to the point where engineers recommended that repairs be made. The Dept of Transportation priced out the repairs and then DIDN'T conduct them due to cost. Or, planned to conduct them and never got around to them; depends on who is telling the story.

Our governor has held national ambitions for years. He wants to be McCain's VP candidate. His refusal to raise taxes, and even cut where cuts couldn't be absorbed were how he was proving his Republican mettle. I think this is going to ruin him though (if the stories prove true). It is one thing to make the argument that gov't is too large and needs to be held in check, but there are some obligations the gov't cannot shirk. This is one of them. When public safety, basic transportation, etc. are on the line, you can't do nothing. If he and his transportation chief *knew* that the bridge needed funds for repairs, and chose not to allocate them, it is negligence on a huge scale. Already he is being accused of simply hoping that nothing would go wrong until he was out of office (preferably in that VP's chair).

So, I'll be really interested to follow that part of the story.
Chainsaw
Quick Draw

Postby DeUgli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 am

hika wrote:Seems that, most of the bridges, in the US, are not really in a good shape (that's what I just heard), and need to be revised.

The entire US infrastructure is getting old. Here is Seattle, we have an overpass through the middle of the city which has started to fail due to earthquakes. If we have a big quake soon, you may be seeing my town on the news.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Hitchin' Post

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel