With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...

Moderator: Pardner

Steamboat Lives!?

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:55 am

Howdy! I'd like to remind everyone that a brand new map called The Alamo was released earlier in the week. Go download it!

Speaking of new maps, here's one from Lixus that had a few problems & was never quite finished for beta 2.0. He was kind enough to pass the map to me & I've done my best to fix the performance issues as well as add some visual improvements. Much has been done to this level over the last year & I'm happy to say it's about 98% done. (I think my hair is a little grayer for it though.)

Click here for larger video - Mod DB

In other news, Torhu has released a new version of his MonsterBrowser utility. It's a nice game server browser for Quake 3 and its mods & works well for Western Quake 3. 8)
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby haraldx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:50 pm

WOW 8O !!! it looks cool. but i have 2 questions.

1. will the music from video also will be in the map ? i realy liked the music :)

2. will you be able to do like in map ''train'' ? jump on the train station and hang there for 5 seconds ? but in train station place there would be just water. and ladders where you can climb out of water. will this is be in ?
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm sorry but I can't include the music in the level.
Falling in the water = instant death. Let me explain the reasons for that decision.
1) I experimented with the water & it's not possible for the player to "flow" downstream naturally if he jumps in. I tried several methods to achieve this, but nothing works well enough to do it. :(
2) This map was never completely finished by Lixus because it suffered some pretty bad framerate issues. I've spent months making changes that promote decent framerates. Adding a moving platform or island (that you could jump onto & then jump back to the boat) reduces the framerates again. :(

But I don't think you will care too much when you get to play it. It's a very neat map even without those things. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby haraldx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm

oh ... sad.... but anyway cool. me and my brother are waiting the standalone so much. and we know without the SA there wouldnt be old smelly maps.
In Game Name: Harald
Favourite Weapon: Colt Peacmaker
My Favourite Char: TheMexican

Im Amigo With Sombrero On Head And Peacmaker In Hand !
haraldx
Gunslinger

Postby Breli » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:23 pm

Looks fantastic Red 8)

WOOT!
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:24 am

Very nice job ! ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Murphy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23 am

8O
Epic..

For that trainstation effect you could add boats that work like horizontal elevators so that you can jump on one at the front of the steamer and then it floats to its back. Just an idea.
Murphy
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:59 am

Thanks guys! But as I said, the majority of this project was originally done by Lixus so I can't take too much of the credit. You might say I did a restoration for it. :wink:

Good to see you here again Murphy! Thanks for the ideas but I hope to finish this map rather than work on it forever. This level has been keeping me from putting a test package of the SA together. It's time to move forward! Maybe in the future we can try to make many of the maps even better than they already are. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:55 am

yep- superb video- makes me wanna hop right in and play- I'll agree that the music would be phat to have in-game, at least until the lady comes in to yell that it's driving her insane night after night.. :D
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:30 am

Beautiful. :)

Can't wait to get my mitts on that for the next movie project! :D (whenever that is...)

I definitely think, knowing what I do of Lixus' map, that Red has made enough changes to this that it's become a masterpiece. Definitely, credit goes to both. The idea and much of the map execution is brilliant. But what Red's done in modifications and color palette and additions seems to be what makes it what it is, also.

So, yeah, Red, it freakin' rules. Now gimme a shot at it, I wanna see what kinda cool angles I can get. :lol:
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Lixus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:44 am

WOOOO - HOOOO !!!!
Thank you a lot Red, for making this map playable! I'm so looking forward to it! The changes you made look very nice to me - can't wait to see them ingame!
I was really pissed that i couldn't get the map working, because after all, it was the most time-consuming map i ever made, and also my favourite project :D ...

So good luck with the release, you'll definitely see me playing on the servers :)
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby Pardner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:49 am

Wow!! double the goodness!! First a cool post by Red showing off a slick new map and then a post by Lixus!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Map looks good Red, and its awesome to see an ICI post!!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 am

EvilFutsin wrote:Now gimme a shot at it, I wanna see what kinda cool angles I can get.

Your set up with the new file structure right? I'll see what I can do. Just remember, it may look finished... but it isn't. I estimate I have another week or two of tweaking a few things that bother me. But I'm also uploading lot's of stuff to our file server in preparation for an SA tester package. So maybe you won't be the only one to see it soon?! 8O
Lixus wrote:Thank you a lot Red, for making this map playable! I'm so looking forward to it! The changes you made look very nice to me - can't wait to see them ingame!
I was really pissed that i couldn't get the map working, because after all, it was the most time-consuming map i ever made, and also my favourite project ...
So good luck with the release, you'll definitely see me playing on the servers .

It always lifts my spirits when an ICI member takes the time to make a forum post. 8) Your steamboat map was always an inspiration to me so I decided I was going to fix it or die trying! Looking forward to swapping lead with you again after all of these years. I just wish I could see your face when you load Steamboat again for the first time. I did my very best to honor your work. :) I'll be sure to send the finished map file back to you when I'm done. Maybe some day you might decide to improve it even further.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:25 am

[quote="ReD NeCKersoN But I'm also uploading lot's of stuff to our file server in preparation for an SA tester package. So maybe you won't be the only one to see it soon?! 8O [/quote]

Yeeehaaaaw
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby MisterX » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Wow, that really does look great :) I love the idea of just being on one moving part of the map (Even though technically it's likely the other way around :D). Just like the train, only that on the boat there's seemingly a lot more space for exciting gunfights :)
MisterX
Pistolero

Next

Return to SG News

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel