With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

My opinion and some suggestions

Postby dolny » Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:29 am

Hello. Some time ago i downloaded Urban Terror because i was searching good games, that could run under Linux. I don't like quake3, so i decided to add some mods. I really liked Urban Terror, and i wanted to check if there are some other cool q3 conversions. That is how i found Western mod. It is really good and original. It was boooring at first when i played team deathmatch, but 'Rob the bank' is absolutely awesome :) Defending the bank using 2 machine guns on the roof rocks. I have some suggestions:

1) A substiute of radio communication in all good fpp multiplayer games. Instead of it just add shouting... I know it's kinda unrealistic but then, people are using chat to communicate, so why not add a 'shout menu' instead of radio menu in Urban Terror. "They've got the money bag!" , "Cover me" etc ;)

2) Climbing on the smaller crates and walls - like in Urban Terror - it is really awesome and increases playability!

3) Healing your teammate by bandages. You can buy or find a medikit (of course it isn't a medikit with sprays and such things like in the counter-terrorist games) or simply bandages to heal your teammate a bit. The game will be more about helping each other and stuff.

4) Closing and opening doors. Maybe i didn't noticed it but i think that the doors cannot be locked after you open them. If im not wrong then, change it - interaction is a very cool thing.

5)GFX updates :
a) The dynamite animation looks ;/ maybe you can make it better...
b) the explode animation/fire animation really sucks, 2d fire looks pretty ugly...like in Quarantine or Doom ;)

6)Bug: when you're shooting at somebody through a window, you have to break it first because if you won't do that the first bullet just breaks the glass without doing any damage to the opponent. (update: i think it was my ping - so i was wrong here;) )

I really like the bank robbery and duel modes - they are the essence of this conversion. I will try to make it popular in Poland, get some servers or smth. because all the world servers are empty, only on 1 or 2 are almost full, but my ping is like 390-400 on them :(

I look forward to further updates and a growing community. Dear designers :) please take a while and respond to this post.

PS. The death animations and body hit points are great, really really great.

Western Quake3 - MOD of the month! : http://mods.moddb.com/200/
Last edited by dolny on Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby dolny » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:20 am

Another nice additions: stamina and sprint. The player has a limit of stamina - he can run faster than normally holding some button but he gets tired very fast and has to wait until his stamina recovers to 100% if he wants to sprint again. What do you think about it?
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby DeadKennedy » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:00 pm

Hey, thank you for your suggestions and nice to hear that you like westernq3!

1) I like the idea of "shout messages". I think we should try to include that.

2)/3) We'll think about that. May be it's good.

4) closing doors has to be improved. At the moment you have to wait
until it's opened and than you can close it, but it's really unpractical. Should be like in Urban Terror

5) Well, I think the exploisions are not that bad. What do the others think?

6) mh, are you sure? You should be able to shoot through windows as well as you can shoot through thin walls... i'll check this.

The next update will be a bugfix, spoon is busy with fixing bugs atm. And there'll be some new maps.
DeadKennedy
Iron Claw

Postby dolny » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:04 pm

DeadKennedy wrote:6) mh, are you sure? You should be able to shoot through windows as well as you can shoot through thin walls... i'll check this.

I know. I edited my post a while before your reply - I think it was my ping (about 300-400).

PS. I thought about adding a map where the teams start on the different sides of the running train, outlaws must stop the train (by going to the 1st wagon), the lawmen must prevent it, sorta like bank robbery. What do you people think :) ?
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby kuran » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:16 pm

The only real changes I would like to see, is being able to break windows with dynamite and molotovs*, more maps, and more people on the servers!

*I'm not sure if this is realistic, but then again the mod isn't either!
kuran
Drifter

Mod of the year

Postby Lord-Den / Alacrity » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:07 am

I was playing with beta 1 and was expecting this one for so long...

This is the mod of the year, not only the one of the mounth !

Great work ! !

We had some nice time this week ! Dolny u play nicely !

For 6/ I have the same problem even with a good ping, can't shoot if windows is not broken before...
Lord-Den / Alacrity
Newcomer

Postby dolny » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:16 pm

The most important things to add:

- climbing: like in Urban Terror (you can climb on some things if you can reach them when standing or jumping) (IT WILL BE GREAAAAAAAT!)
- closing/opening the doors - i know that you can open and close some doors but there are some already open doors (like in the one of the best WQ3 robbery maps - Durango) that cannot be closed.
- shout messages menu (instead of radio menu in such games as Urban Terror or Counter Strike)

Other ideas:
- moving some things like specific tables, chairs that can be also destroyed(not all of them just on some maps) for example to block the way of the opposing team for a little or hide behind a table in a chosen place) - it would make the game more original
- maybe some rain map with pouring rain and some i don't know how to say it in english (water on the ground caused by rain) ;) - you can hear somebody coming when he runs into water.
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby ZAAN » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:36 am

Reffering to what the guy above said :)

- climbing: very useful thing.. in Urban Terror you can climb on the rainpipe or catch the window-sill and so on. In this way you can reach many places not only using ladders.

- closeing/opening doors. I haven't played every map yet but I think it's good idea. Creaking doors are sign for good listeners ;).

- shout messages? Hmm... Yeah... Imagine. One outlaw is shouting paying attention of lawmen when the rest is robbing the bank...

- bandage - very important, bandaging teammates or ourselves can make the match longer. To make it more realistic you can add to models some bandages after healing :))

Dolny what about polish Wester site? :)) When do we start?
ZAAN
Drifter

Postby dolny » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:40 am

Healing (at least in teamgames - healing your teammate) would be great, and a player model with some bandages after healing - even more great. As for the site: I'm waiting for the design artist to make graphics for it. Meanwhile we'll take care of the translations (manual, weapon info etc).

dolny
Gunslinger

Postby clockwork_orange » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:09 pm

shouting would be cool, could could make so it coukd only be hurd within a certian radius, ie you could not hear someone shouting all the way across the map.

climbing would be cool, but it should be albe to be turned off by mappers.

i dont like the idea of healing or bandaging: its a realstic mod, so you should never realy be able to increase your helth only stablise it i.e stop bleeding and such, but there is no bleeding. so no real need to bandage.

locking door's would be very cool, maby shooting the lock would unlock it?

"maybe some rain map with pouring rain and some i don't know how to say it in english (water on the ground caused by rain) ;) - you can hear somebody coming when he runs into water"

puddles :lol:
clockwork_orange
Newcomer

Postby ZAAN » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:01 pm

Hm... reffering to gesture and voice taunt... at present voice taunt isn't working... and gesture make only the sound (I think spinning gun?;) ), but the model do not do anything..
ZAAN
Drifter

Postby dolny » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:07 pm

yeah, are you planning to fix it in the next beta? gesture would be cool :>

dolny
Gunslinger

Postby Lixus » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:14 pm

there is a gesture.... but not from the first person view....
ynd watch out, it depends on if you have a gun or a rifle in your hand
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby dolny » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:34 pm

we checked the gesture by looking at each other and clicking gesture key and we could only hear the sound, the voice taunt wasn't working at all...

dolny
Gunslinger

Postby ZAAN » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:46 pm

Yes, that's right, we checked it
ZAAN
Drifter

Next

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel