With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby sig11 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:14 pm

Looks cool and the performance is as good as with the older version !

I really like the gallow, but isn't this moving away from the High Noon theme ? (then again, I don't remember a lot of this moview). Just some random thought, though ;-)
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:35 pm

Maybe the map doesn't need to keep the High Noon name anymore? Could rename it to Gallows Street or Tiny Town or something.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:58 am

torhu wrote:Maybe the map doesn't need to keep the High Noon name anymore?

I've been thinking about this ever since DeUgli's last post in this thread. It's more my map than DeadKennedy's by now & I never liked having the number 2 at the end of the name. Of course, proper credits to the original author will be included. Unless something better comes along, I'll name it Hang'em High. Of course, the gallows would have to be large enough to accomodate 6 hangings at once to be true to the movie. I think it'd be too big for this layout. It's big enough for 2 now. Maybe make it big enough for 4?

Image Image

EDIT:Hmmm. After looking at the map again, 6 could work & would emphasize the name of the level. Would be a major source of cover in the street from folks up high. I'll try it with 4 first. Stepping into the street is always a huge gamble & I feel some wagon's are gonna move toward the other end of the street. Like the new hotel, this could be something really good to expand gameplay further. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:51 am

Galllows will stay at two hangings for now. I will release a new, vastly updated version of Hang'em High for testers sometime this Saturday. I've tested with Chico this week & we agree that gameplay & atmosphere are changed for the better. Chico told me this map feels more like a western town than any of the others. I suppose that's really up to the individual but I am fairly proud of the transformation thus far. The church has been closed, the brick building is now a jail, the hotel is furnished, the green building is now a coffin business, the horses have saddles, the lawyer's building is furnished, the barn across from the jail has a back entrance & the gallows have a nice noose model as well as a working lever (when shot) to activate the trap doors. Spawn points, money & other pickups have been added/moved.

Now the bad news. As I suspected, performance has taken a hit. My goal tomorrow is to try to alleviate this problem as much as I can. Whether it's fixed or not, testers will get the map on Saturday regardless. I really want this level to be ready for 2.2 so I'll do the best I can.

I want to mention that EvilFutsin, BNT, sig11, Torhu, Breli & L3th4l have all helped me a great deal with content & troubleshooting in recent weeks. Muchas gracias amigos!

Image Image Image
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:43 am

yep, I'll have to say that if the frame rates can hold reasonably that this will be a fun shoot-out style map. Kudos to Red!
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby EvilFutsin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:42 am

The vibe is VERY much like Long Days of Vengeance, which has a finale set-piece around a gallows with a gigantic shoot-out. It's not as awesome as it sounds to witness, but the use of the geography is spectacular.

Best part is, this map will probably have as much if not more potential than the movie. :D
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby hika » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 am

Sorry, it may be late but I found a blink graphics bug, here:

Is it a so called z-fighting ?
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:41 am

Yes, that is known as z-fighting. BTW, I'll be fixing some things that bug me about this map (like your example) & release the absolute final version with the SA. If anyone else knows of any bugs or annoyances, post here please. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:17 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:If anyone else knows of any bugs or annoyances, post here please. :)

Not really a nuisance but here is another one (at least for the record)
But we can probably live with that, can't we ? ;)
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:26 am

Hell no! It shall be fixed! :lol:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 02, 2007 3:12 am

I've been fixing bugs & implementing texture blending. (Using two textures at once on the same surface, for those who might not know.) Here's some before & after shots of the street. Of course, I'm still tweaking it so hopefully it'll be better than what we see here. Just for giggles, the last shot is an in-editor image of what textutre blending looks like. I've also made a gampelay change that i think will utilize a portion of the map a little better than before. I might do a little work in the jailhouse as well. Oh yeah, I think this map could use a different skybox. We'll see what happens. :)

Image Image Image
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Wed May 02, 2007 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Wed May 02, 2007 3:18 am

It'll be even BETTER??!?!? 8O

Sacred freakin' Cow of the West Plains of Delphi! DAMN!
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

better

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed May 02, 2007 6:18 am

Wow, you get much more realistic, and that horse poop is gonna start smellin'! Nice work!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Wed May 02, 2007 3:32 pm

That looks great Red!
Hows the frame rate? You mentioned before that frame rate was an issue. Does the added texture blending cause a FPS dip? Just think about those members who refuse to up grade :D (like myself)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Pardner wrote:Does the added texture blending cause a FPS dip?

sig11 mentioned once that texture blending affected his performance on the newer maps. I don't notice any difference on my rig but I guess folks with really old machines will. Thanks to the geometry needed for this technique, the total brush count for HeH is fast approaching that of Coyote Buff now. 8O However, I'm also investigating further hint brush possibilities that might help smooth performance in some areas. Overall, I really don't expect gamers with faster machines to notice a difference. If any "blended" map seems unplayable for older rigs, there is always the option to play in vertex mode which doesn't display the texture blend.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel