With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Question about creating custom content

Postby Demon Princess » Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:15 am

Hello everybody! :D I have a little question.

Will it be possible to add custom player models in the upcoming release? I'd like to make my own model for it. :wink:
Demon Princess
Newcomer

Custom skins are possible

Postby zenman » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:20 pm

Sure. The files Q3 uses for models and skins have a .pk3 extension. If you have WinZip, you can right-click any .pk3 file, selct "open with" and choose WinZip for it (You can also merely rename the file's extension to .zip for XP's built-in unzipper). Make a temporary folder and extract all the files within the .pk3 file to it. Modify the pics as needed, and then zip them back up with WinZip.
I have created quite a few for Western 1.2, but since I have no shader programs, they are not as good looking as the originals. I merely created them for the sake of adding more characters to my Western 1.2. You can also modify your bot file to enable your new characters to play with the properties of any Q3 bot you wish.

Zen
zenman
Drifter

Postby Demon Princess » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info! What you are talking about is just a skin, though, not a full model. I really meant to ask if I could add my own models, as in a new 3d model, with new animations, new sounds and new skins. :wink:

I'm already familiar with modelling, skinning and animating for Quake 3. After opening up the pk3 file I noticed that the WQ3 models had a few more upper animations than the standard Quake 3 ones. I was wondering if this model setup will be used for the next release as well, because if it's the same, I can start modelling and animating right away. :D Otherwise, I'll just wait for the upcoming release.

As for the lack of shaders on your skins, you don't really need shaders. Skins can look good without them, that is, if you paint them well.

I don't think the original WQ3 skins have any shaders, either. They just have nice shading and stuff. Just practice a lot and use dodge and burn for your shading.

You don't even need a shader program to make shaders, btw. You can write them in notepad. Just open up some existing shader script files and look how it's done. Take a look at the alpha channels in the corresponding tga file, too. But like I said, shaders aren't really needed.

If you post some pics of the skins you have made, I can give you some tips, if you want. :wink:

It would be cool to see people make custom stuff for the mod and release them for others to download. :D
Demon Princess
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:13 pm

Since the new version should be released quite soon, I think you should wait for the new files. I'd also reccomend you submit any work you do to the fine folks here so they can make it available to the WQ3 community on their website. I'd personally like to request a John Wayne model! :D
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby zenman » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:10 pm

LOL, Demon_Princess, because I have little experience in skinning anything, I just repaint them in MS-Paint. I neglected to see that you were talking about full custom models, and not skins. I don't have a clue when it comes to making models and animations, LOL

Zen
zenman
Drifter

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel