With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

MAC users DOOMED?

Postby jorkmuffin » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:50 am

I finally went out and got a mac, and now I can't play Western Quake. Bot library problems, hitfile problems, etc... I want to play so bad that I'm thinking of renting old Eastwood flicks. Not sure hunkmegs looks fine, even though I don't know how to add the fs to the target line. I run everything through terminal so I can see the actual errors.

Gametype changed, clearing session data.
no valid hitfile: models/wq3_players/lower.hit
models/wq3_players/lower.hit could not be loaded
ERROR: ERROR: Couldn't load hitfile

Server Shutdown -----
==== ShutdownGame ====
^1Error: BotLibShutdown: bot library used before being setup
---------------------------
RE_Shutdown( 0 )
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- R_Init -----

WARNING: tess.xyz not 16 byte aligned

Unknown command "addbot"

AHHHHHHH
jorkmuffin
Newcomer

MAC users DOOMED?

Postby aquarius » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:23 am

jorkmuffin wrote:I finally went out and got a mac, and now I can't play Western Quake. Bot library problems, hitfile problems, etc... I want to play so bad that I'm thinking of renting old Eastwood flicks. Not sure hunkmegs looks fine, even though I don't know how to add the fs to the target line. I run everything through terminal so I can see the actual errors.

At first I want to congratulate you to you new mac. Believe me, this was the right decision!
Now to you problem. This is a known bug in the mod (more info). Back in march (2003) the coder promised that this problem would be fixed with the first patch. But they never released that update. So at the moment there is no way to start a singleplayer or a multiplayer game on a mac. If you want to play, join us on Sunday (see here). Joining a game works perfectly!
aquarius
Shootist

Postby jorkmuffin » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:21 am

Thanks for the info, if i'm by my brothers dsl on sunday, i'll see you then
jorkmuffin
Newcomer

MAC users DOOMED?

Postby striderdm1 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:27 am

Hi, hoping you can help another mac user out :-) I've just started online gaming and i'd love to play Western Quake, but i cannot seem to launch it..

I've copied over the WQ folder into my Quake3 folder. When i click the mods menu option WQ is there but when i try to launch this, it will just return me to the Finder! I'm using the latest Quake3 fwiw.

I don't know about the (pc) 'exe' method of launching Quake3 so that WQ is loaded straight away, but i've tried this command in the Quake Console : set fs_game westernq3 and it just comes back saying "fs_game is write-protected". Any ideas? :-?

Fwiw, other q3 mods like True Combat use a launcher app. Is there anyway to modify apps like this or create a new one for WQ?

Appreciate any help, many thanks.
Strider
striderdm1
Newcomer

MAC users DOOMED?

Postby aquarius » Sun May 30, 2004 10:13 pm

hi.

use Disk Utility to repair permissions. this should help.

To directly launch WQ3 you can use Applescript.

Example:
on run
tell application "Terminal"
do shell script "/Applications/Quake3/Quake3.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3 +set fs_game westernq3"
end tell
end run

Save ist as e.g. wq3.scpt and compile it in Script Editor.

Aquarius
aquarius
Shootist

MAC users DOOMED?

Postby striderdm1 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:31 pm

Hi - i've amended an 'application' that i created in applescript for a UT game. Here i've replaced the path and filename to suit Quake3 :

do shell script "/Users/littleme/Applications/Quake3/Quake3.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3 G4 +set fs_game westernq3"

Now this works for the UT2003/2004 games i have, but still not Quake 3/Western Quake :-(

WQ shows up in the MODS option of Quake's menu. But it still crashes out if i select it...

Hoping the above gives u some ideas, cos i really dunno tbh :oops:
Thanks for replying, appreciate the help

Strider
striderdm1
Newcomer

MAC users DOOMED?

Postby striderdm1 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:32 pm

i've managed to make that script work for other UT/Q3 mods, a decent Quake 3 mod like Afterwards now works! But i've had no luck with WQ :-(

Gonna try a fresh install of Q3 now and try WQ with that.... wish me luck! :?
striderdm1
Newcomer

Return to Help Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel