With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

suicide bug

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi !

This is a very rare bug, so I don't know how to reproduce it.
It happened sometime when you fire your gun, it hits your own head.

:S
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:59 pm

:?

do you remember if you were shooting toward somebody ? near or far ? Maybe you remember a map ? Could this be an interaction with the map ? What weapon have you in your hands ?

You will have to find a way to reproduce but maybe someone else has meet that bug and can tell about his experience.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Impossible to reproduce it, I see it today, and one month ago. Today I was playing with peacemaker. Is the shooting entities removed from the hitscan ?
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:34 pm

One thing I can say, I think weapon traces are calculated with the head as origin, not from the real weapon position. Then if a collision is detected with the shooting player that should always be with the head...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 am

Yes the top of the head is the origin of trace (and the origin of the "first person view"), that's sometime strange, because if you only see the top of the hat of a player (all other part of his body hiding behind some wall), he can shoot at you anyway.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:26 am

Strange. In all my years of playing, I've never died from firing my own weapon.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 pm

I have died by my own gun before. I always thought it was due to lag because it has never happened on RAWHIDE (low ping) but it happens often on Wastelands (high ping). It usually happens about the same time that everybody is screaming "reset the server plx" I might even have a demo of it that I can share, but let me explain just in case I don't:

It was on tillion and I was in the attic of the building. I suddenly was "stuck" in the doorway. so I decided to shoot...... well I ended up shooting my self. It has happened other times, but I think that was the only time I actually killed myself. I will try to see if I still have the demo.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:39 am

Yup, Pard is right. It is most likely caused by lag. Back when Red and I played RTCW, one server we played on would lag real bad and I could shoot myself. Was also able to do it in Quake 3 too..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 am

Yep, very interesting point Pard. There's maybe a problem with the unlagged code ? When I debugged the invisibility bug and found only the entity 0 was concerned, often I found the bot entity 0 becomes invisible when walking through a door on wq_train. Will check if it can be and entity interaction problem ? You know the "Too many trace" is still such a problem.

About unlagged code, can somebody point me to the official source site ? Maybe we just need an update or share experience with official unlagged developer.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 am

Simple : http://unlagged.com/ :)
At the beginning, Unlagged was a mod.

Long time I haven't look at the code, but the simpliest way to fix it is to store in the trace the id of the entity that have shot, then bypass the hitscan for that entity.
For the too many trace issue, I think a trace should end when the damage it could inflict fall under 1. For instance, a trace end only when it collide with a stone wall or something unpassable, or when it is at its 100th iteration. Most of time, after passing through 2 wood wall (and sometime only 1), a trace don't inflict any damage, so calculating next iterations is a pure waste of CPU (and it's non-sensical, a bullet without damage capability is a bullet which have stopped to fly).

EDIT : for Unlagged, this link is better : http://ra.is/unlagged/
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel