With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

The GPL

Postby Caffeine » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:54 pm

FYI, Id did release the Q3 1.32b source code with a license -- the GNU GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html). Unless you paid Id for an engine license with different terms, you must abide by the terms of the GPL. Specifically:

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

Given that the SA download completely lacks any mention of the GPL or source code, you appear to be in violation of the license. I'm not a lawyer, of course, and I'm not terribly interested in the SA code (beyond compiling it myself and possibly learning from it). However, you should be aware that someone could ask for the SA code that their downloaded binaries were built from and they would be well within their rights to do so, per the GPL.
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby L3th4l » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:22 am

Our SA version isn't public yet. We are well aware of of what we have to do. Thank's for your concern, but we have it under control
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel