With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Mouse Sensitivity

Postby Hellrider » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:53 am

I've just installed the SA. Works fine so far, but what i recognized first is that the mouse speed increased a lot (I am using the config from "normal wq3").

There the sensitivity is about 14,6. But in the SA this is much too fast ;)

Now i'm just interested in in which way that value has been changed.

Or didn't you change anything and there's something wrong with my version???
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby sig11 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:32 pm

I didn't change anything in that regard (I think) and AFAIR I didn't experience anything like that (but then again, I'm using Linux ;-) ). Maybe you misplaced some config files ?
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:28 pm

I just downloaded the SA again. I've deleted the old one and after that I installed it again. So now I'm sure there's nothing I could have done wrong with it this time ;)

I started the SA (whithout changing the configs) ----> Same thing as last time : The mouse is much too fast. The command line showed me that the value of the sensitivity is 14,593750. (Thats exactly the same as I use in the "Not-SA-WQ3 Version" )

So maybe there's something wrong with my "Not-SA-Version" :?

Could please someone check out if he experiences the same or something different ? Just try the same sensitivity value in both versions...
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby hika » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 am

Well, I just copy my ~/.q3a/westernq3/q3config.cfg to ~/.wq3/westernq3/q3config.cfg
In game, I see no difference.
I don't know how it is for the other systems.
@Hellrider: Can you check if the sensitivity cursor is at the same position ?

I got wrong when I copied my q3config.cfg to Westernquake3/westernq3/q3config.cfg, because on UNIX system, the q3config.cfg read is ~/.wq3/westernq3/q3config.cfg.
So I kept thinking the sensitivity is different between SA and the original engine ... until I found out that I got completely wrong about paths.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:03 am

hika wrote:@Hellrider: Can you check if the sensitivity cursor is at the same position ?

I hope you mean the cursor in the Conrols-Menu.... Yeah it's on the same position in both versions. But the "felt sensitivity" is very different from each other...

BTW I'm using damned "blue-screen windows" ;)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby sig11 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:27 am

I'm grabbing for straws here, but maybe you have something in your regular Quake3's baseq3 folder that's slowing down the mouse ? hmmm, looking at the order of cfg files: check autoexec.cfg in your regular Q3A and WQ3-mod folder.

Also, I double checked, I have the same value in SA and Q3A and it feels the same.

Maybe if torhu, Breli or Red (the Windows users) read this, did you notice anything ?
sig11
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:08 pm

It cant't be the autoexec, cause i haven't got one for Q3A and the one for WQ3 only contains the two commands "bind screenshot" and "seta hunkmegs 96".
I don't think this is slowing down the mouse, but who knows?? Maybe you're on the right way with the config files.

If this would be a help for you to find out whats wrong , I could send them to anyone. Anyway I will look myself if I can find out anything referring to the cfg's.
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:51 pm

For me, the standalone's sensitivity is about 10%-15% higher than with the regular quake3.exe. So I have to turn down mouse sens from 1.2 to 1.07 or something when using the standalone. Whether the difference increases with higher values, I don't know.

In case you don't know, the easiest way to check it is to type /sensitivity in th e console. Also make sure that /cl_mouseaccel is zero.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:41 am

torhu wrote:For me, the standalone's sensitivity is about 10%-15% higher than with the regular quake3.exe. So I have to turn down mouse sens from 1.2 to 1.07 or something when using the standalone. Whether the difference increases with higher values, I don't know.

For me, the standalone's sensitivity is about 300% !!! higher than with the regular quake3.exe. So I have to turn down the mouse sens from 14.6 to ca. 5,0 (haven't found out the best sensitivity for the standalone yet...)
Hmm, maybe it increases in a logarithmical way?

torhu wrote:In case you don't know, the easiest way to check it is to type /sensitivity in th e console. Also make sure that /cl_mouseaccel is zero.

I knew the \sensitivity command already, but thanks for "cl_mouseaccel". I didn't know that one, but i just checked it and it's set to zero in both versions :(
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby hika » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:30 am

Hellrider wrote:If this would be a help for you to find out whats wrong , I could send them to anyone.

Well, yes, as a good start, you can provide us your .cfg files, and remove all possible sensitive infos before (say rconpassword ? ;))

I double checked the sensitivity, /cl_mouseaccel and /sensitivity values with both SA and the original engine. They are at the same values and cl_mouseaccel is 0 for me, too.

I have also tried "/sensitivity 14", which is really fast for me. Maybe it also depends on my system mouse sensitivity, too ?
Still the same feeling between the 2 engines, though.
hika
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:31 am

I just got the SA all installed. I didnt notice any change in my mouse sensitivity. I use the default sensitivity; it was fine when i was using the default.cfg and when i pasted in my old q3config.cfg from the 2.2b release.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:11 am

I've got the failure:

It's caused by the windows options.

System Controls Menu/ Mouse Options:

There I've got one point for acceleration. This is set to slow.
Also there's another option to deactivate the acceleration in games. This one is set to yes.
That works fine for the regular WQ3, because it identifies Quake 3 as a game ----> acceleration is deactivated

But it doesn't work for the SA, because it won't be identified as a game....------> Mouse Acceleration is set to slow!!!!!!
And that's what made me rack my brain...

Sometimes you can't see what's directly in front of you! :lol:

Nevertheless I wanna thank you for your help :)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:43 am

And thank you for posting your findings. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:24 am

Oh, I never thought that mouse settings can be tweaked by apps, under Windows.
Great detective job, Hell 8)
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:10 pm

Hellrider wrote:But it doesn't work for the SA, because it won't be identified as a game....------> Mouse Acceleration is set to slow!!!!!!

Puh, I'm glad it really wasn't the SA.

OTOH, how does Windows decide, what's a game and what is not ?
sig11
SG Team

Next

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel