With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 pm

In fact, servers only preserve the "nextmap" cvar. We have here a bug as the gametype should be selected with our map prefix (dm_, du_ or br_, and at least for du_ and br_ as dm_ can also be team DM or Round team play).

That's not really important to be fixed in sources as we can just fix the server configuration.

Here is what I propose for the default map rotation to be fixed in "server.cfg":
Code: Select all
// FFA/TDM/RTP map cycle
set dm_type "set g_gametype 0"
set tdm_type "set g_gametype 3"
set rtp_type "set g_gametype 4"

// set here your own default gametype for deathmatch games
set dm_game "vstr dm_type"
set dm1 "vstr dm_game; map dm_hangemhigh; set nextmap vstr dm2"
set dm2 "vstr dm_game; map dm_dry; set nextmap vstr dm3"
set dm3 "vstr dm_game; map dm_coyotebluff; set nextmap vstr dm4"
set dm4 "vstr dm_game; map dm_canyon; set nextmap vstr dm5"
set dm5 "vstr dm_game; map dm_mine; set nextmap vstr dm6"
set dm6 "vstr dm_game; map dm_backwater; set nextmap vstr dm7"
set dm7 "vstr dm_game; map dm_tillian; set nextmap vstr dm8"
set dm8 "vstr dm_game; map dm_fort; set nextmap vstr dm9"
set dm9 "vstr dm_game; map dm_nonamecity; set nextmap vstr dm10"
set dm10 "vstr dm_game; map dm_sancuchillo; set nextmap vstr dm11"
set dm11 "vstr dm_game; map dm_newtown; set nextmap vstr dm12"
set dm12 "vstr dm_game; map dm_alamo; set nextmap vstr dm13"
set dm13 "vstr dm_game; map dm_newtown; set nextmap vstr dm14"
set dm14 "vstr dm_game; map dm_steamboat; set nextmap vstr dm1"

// Duel map cycle
set du_game "set g_gametype 1"
set du1 "vstr du_game; map du_highnoon ; set nextmap vstr du2"
set du2 "vstr du_game; map du_showdown ; set nextmap vstr du1"

// Bank robbery map cycle
set br_game "set g_gametype 5"
set br1 "vstr br_game; map br_elpaso; set nextmap vstr br2"
set br2 "vstr br_game; map br_durango; set nextmap vstr br3"
set br3 "vstr br_game; map br_cobber; set nextmap vstr br4"
set br4 "vstr br_game; map br_coyotebluff; set nextmap vstr br5"
set br5 "vstr br_game; map br_mexico; set nextmap vstr br6"
set br6 "vstr br_game; map br_santacruz; set nextmap vstr br7"
set br7 "vstr br_game; map br_farm; set nextmap vstr br8"
set br8 "vstr br_game; map br_backwater; set nextmap vstr br9"
set br9 "vstr br_game; map br_alamo_tiny; set nextmap vstr br10"
set br10 "vstr br_game; map br_newtown; set nextmap vstr br11"
set br11 "vstr br_game; map br_dawnfort; set nextmap vstr br1"

You can still select the default deathmatch type by updating "dm_game" line.
8)

Btw, if a vote has set gametype to BR and default is DM, then players will have to vote again... after the BR game will be finshed... I don't think that's what they want.
I really think we need a "reset" cvar triggered after the last player has quit.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pyrite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 pm

I can't see the server either. It was launched with +set dedicated 2, and is definitely running (I can connect to it fine by specifying the IP). This was a problem with the beta as well, I had to tell everyone the IP and get them to save it in their favourites. It's set to report to the following master servers: master0.gamespy.com master.quake3arena.com master3.idsoftware.com clanservers.net master.kali.net. The server console shows heartbeats for all of these, so I don't think that's the problem. It's a bit of a mystery to me.

I see what you mean about voting breaking map rotation, what's happened there? It worked okay in the beta from what I remember. It's not a serious problem for me at the moment, bots are disabled as they had a tendency to crash the dedicated server (in the beta, haven't tried in the new release), so unless I round up some people to play the server doesn't tend to get much use, and so long as I'm logged in I can fix the rotation. It would be nice to get it sorted out though!
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:36 pm

hum...
When the server is stuck on a map, the "nextmap" cvar is empty... I can't reproduce it at home, but i saw that on Tequila's server... Just type "/rcon vstr dm1" restore the map cycle... until the next bug :S
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:34 pm

Maybe a bug in the nextmap-backup-code?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 pm

@Pyrite: Can you verify you don't have a firewall rule that drop outgoing udp packet on 27950 port ? Then can you try to add 91.121.207.93:27950 for a moment ? I just setup a sniffer to see the content of hearbeat packet on that server. I just want to see if the packet you send are not malformed (ppc is such a nice exotic platform ;)).

@Joe Kari: Thanks to point me on that problem, I will take an eye on that problem. I will check again the callvote system and try to detect a problem with cvars.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Sorry for the downtime on Deviant Pointer, was upgrading the OS to 7.1-RELEASE. Should all be fine now.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Pyrite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Téquila, as requested I have set the first master server to the IP you gave. Let me know when I can change it back again!

The strangest thing about this bug is that when I first set up the server with the beta release (some time in 2008), I'm reasonably sure that it appeared in the server list. At some point later on it stopped working. I'm not sure what (if anything) I changed so it didn't work. If it helps, I can send my .cfg file to someone. The only other thing I can think of is that, after getting to grips with getting the server going, I set up a restricted user to run the server binary, for security reasons. Perhaps that's causing the problem?

Also, I can confirm what Joe Kari reports about the map rotation problem, I carried out a vote on the server to test it out, and the nextmap variable was indeed empty. As I said before, I'm pretty sure this used to work properly in the beta, a vote would only change the current map, and when the map ended it would go on to the next one in the sequence correctly, presumably it was remembering the vstr variable rather than the nextmap, because the rotation would continue as normal (if I've understood how the rotation works).
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby sparcdr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:42 pm

No it's not restrictions causing it. It's a native binary and is designed to run in its own address space and as a regular user.

USER   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
sg    1105 11.3  3.2 87060 33252  p1  S+    4:47PM  12:18.18 . +set com_hunkmegs 64 +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 70.38.22.170 +set net_port 27960 +set sv_pure 1 +set sv_allowdownload 0 +set sv_pidfile /usr/sg/sg.pid +set fs_base /usr/sg +set set bot_nochat 1 +exec server.cfg (smokinguns_dedicate)
sg    1099  0.0  0.0 207192   248  ??  S     4:47PM   0:00.04 ./murmur.x86
sg    1100  0.0  0.0 207192   248  ??  I     4:47PM   0:00.00 ./murmur.x86
sg    1101  0.0  0.0 207192   248  ??  I     4:47PM   0:00.00 ./murmur.x86
sg    1126  0.0  0.0 207192   248  ??  I     4:48PM   0:00.00 ./murmur.x86
sg    1088  0.0  0.1  4396   900  p1  Is    4:47PM   0:00.02 /usr/local/bin/bash
sg    1104  0.0  0.1  3464   896  p1  I+    4:47PM   0:00.00 /bin/sh ./smokinguns_dedicated.x86
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Pyrite wrote:Also, I can confirm what Joe Kari reports about the map rotation problem, I carried out a vote on the server to test it out, and the nextmap variable was indeed empty. As I said before, I'm pretty sure this used to work properly in the beta...

This problem occurred was present 2.1b of the mod release (2005), so its not new. I think it might be VQ3 related because my old VQ3 server used to have the same problem.

@Tequila, i dont follow your map rotation script, isnt it the same thing as doing:
set dm1 "g_gametype 0; map dm_hangemhigh; set nextmap vstr dm2"
set dm2 "g_gametype 0; map dm_dry; set nextmap vstr dm3"

Joe Kari wrote:hum...
When the server is stuck on a map, the "nextmap" cvar is empty... I can't reproduce it at home, but i saw that on Tequila's server... Just type "/rcon vstr dm1" restore the map cycle... until the next bug :S

I'm sure you tried this, but it only seems to happen when someone callvotes a game mode other than DM.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:10 am

I guess Tequila propose that structure if you want to turn to (for example) Team Deathmatch, but keep the map-cycle inherited from DM. In the future, calling a vote for Team Deathmatch will not only change g_gametype, but turn "dm_game" to "vstr tdm_type". But I agree that "dm_game" is a confusing name ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 am

I have made few test on RAWHIDE, temporarly turning fraglimit and scorelimit to 1, calling a lot of vote (BR/TDM/RTP), I was unable to stuck the server on a map...
I think the trouble come from something else...
If someone find a combo that cause this bug to appear, please let me know...

EDIT: I just realize that we have an error in our standard map cycle: newtown is played twice (dm11 and dm13), while dawnfort is never played.

EDIT 2: Oh, and that's not all... in the DM map list, dm_alamo should be replaced by dm_alamo_tiny... Now I understand why all DM servers look ill just after newtown !!! cause the "map dm_alamo" failed, and then it launch again "map newtown"...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks Joe to have found that problem.

What's happen to "nextmap" when the command to change a map fails as the map name is wrong ? Can it be the case when it becomes empty ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Joe Kari wrote:EDIT: I just realize that we have an error in our standard map cycle: newtown is played twice (dm11 and dm13), while dawnfort is never played.

EDIT 2: Oh, and that's not all... in the DM map list, dm_alamo should be replaced by dm_alamo_tiny... Now I understand why all DM servers look ill just after newtown !!! cause the "map dm_alamo" failed, and then it launch again "map newtown"...

I'll take credit for the screw up. The server.cfg was hastily edited just before release. :oops:
In addition, br_hangemhigh is missing from the br map cycle.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:20 am

Tequila wrote:What's happen to "nextmap" when the command to change a map fails as the map name is wrong ? Can it be the case when it becomes empty ?

It looks like it's not the cause of that (I have ran the full map cycle of RAWHIDE without losing the "nextmap" value). I still haven't seen this bug happened in real time :S
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:05 am

Joe Kari wrote:
Tequila wrote:What's happen to "nextmap" when the command to change a map fails as the map name is wrong ? Can it be the case when it becomes empty ?

It looks like it's not the cause of that (I have ran the full map cycle of RAWHIDE without losing the "nextmap" value). I still haven't seen this bug happened in real time :S

LOL, I fixed my server.cfg about 8 hours ago. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel