With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

New Server

Postby .:MASTER:.Zog » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:55 pm

Hey, I'm interested in setting up a game server on SG, I have a plenty capable server working at home, and looking to install it with Ubuntu (8.10/Intrepid). Anyone know where I can find a guide, or some help on where to start?
.:MASTER:.Zog
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 am

Howdy MASTER welcome to the forums! here is a guilde from PQ on setting up a server:
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php ... =52&game=4
the good news is that you dont have to write your own server config file. Smokin Guns comes with one all setup for you; its named server.cfg. just customize it to your liking and start Smokin-Guns with +exec server.cfg

As here if you have trouble getting SG to work on your Ubuntu rig.

Edit: fixed link (8/23/10)
Last edited by Pardner on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby .:MASTER:.Zog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:39 am

Alright thanks, now .:MASTER:. has a SG server running =)
.:MASTER:.Zog
Drifter

Postby dsk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks for the reply and the link. I am .:MASTER:.DSK by the way. We got our test server up and running. We would like to move to our hosted server in chicago but can not find any server files for windows server.

Anyone know if there are plans for a windows server version?
dsk
Newcomer

Postby mugenmidget » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:11 am

Howdy!

To run a server with Windows you just use the normal EXE. You can configure a batch file (.bat) to start a dedicated server. Just paste the following contents into your batch file:

Code: Select all
smokinguns.exe +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +com_hunkMegs 64 +exec server.cfg

Edit "server.cfg" to get what you need!

BTW, I took that from one of Red's posts (or at least copied it vaguely from memory). Does anyone know if the +com_hunkMegs should be set at 156 instead, remain at 64, or does it not matter? Thanks!
My gosh, that's too cheap!
mugenmidget
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:33 am

mugenmidget wrote:Does anyone know if the +com_hunkMegs should be set at 156 instead, remain at 64, or does it not matter?

I'm no expert, but I'm not even sure it's necessary to set com_hunkMegs for a server. However, it should be set to 96 (default) or higher for the client.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

FreeBSD

Postby sparcdr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 pm

My FreeBSD dedicated server (Deviant Pointer) is set to 64mb. (Using 7.1 linux-compat with no performance regressions)

I house the command-line parameters in a simple shell script (Called sg_dedicated.x86) that launches the real binary (Titled sg_dedicated.x86.real) with the following to make it work on my server:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/sg
./smokinguns_dedicated.x86.real +set com_hunkmegs 64 +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 70.38.22.170 +set net_port 27960 +set sv_pure 1 +set sv_allowdownload 0 +set sv_pidfile /usr/sg/sg.pid +set fs_base /usr/sg +set set bot_nochat 1 +exec server.cfg

This runs as user 'sg' for security and has a GNU Screen session running it for remote control purposes.
sparcdr
SG Team

I don't understand anything :-)

Postby Bart202 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:26 am

:?:
Now I understand nothing. The link leads to a map of Pardner description of Quake 3?
I also want to create an online server. I have looked through the whole forum.
Unfortunately i don't understand it.
Can anyone help me?
Or write me a private message :-)
I have to buy anything? I can create a server?
And how can I make all the settings?
I'm still newbie in something like that.
Maybe with Screens.
That would be very helpful. :wink:
Bart202
Gunslinger

Re: I don't understand anything :-)

Postby Pardner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Bart202 wrote:The link leads to a map of Pardner description of Quake 3?

Oooops!!! I'm sorry a pasted the wrong link!! take a look at this one:
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php ... =52&game=4

If you want a server running 24 hours a day, everyday then you will need:
  • A spare computer running Smokin' Guns all the time. You will need to follow the "dedicated server" tutorial in the link I pasted (hopefully I pasted the correct one). You will need to do port forwarding on your router and you will also be sacrificing some of your everyday internet bandwidth for the server

Basically, you need to create a new shortcut of Smokin' Guns. Then place the newly created shortcut in the "Startup" folder (windows). And finally you need to add "+set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg" to the shortcut target.... like this:
  • The other option is to rent a dedicated game server. I know RAWHIDE is rented from http://artofwarcentral.com/. Is basically the same thing as the first option, be the game server is not at your house and you don't need to give up your own bandwidth!
Last edited by Pardner on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Dedicated servers also offer better pings and a static ip.

You don't have to set net_port to 27960, since this is its default value anyways. You need to open this UDP port in your firewalls.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:37 pm

/dev/random wrote:You don't have to set net_port to 27960, since this is its default value anyways.

True, true. If you wanted SG on a different port, you would need to change it in the target, or in the server.cfg
Pardner
SG Team

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel