With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Game server information & questions.

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor

Help with setting up a server

Postby Sucalakafufu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 am

hey guys,
my friends and i were thinking of trying to set up a dedicated server with one of our own servers or comps. is that possible? and if so, how do i get the server to be public over the internet?
ive been successful in getting a server up but only over a LAN undecided
thx for ur help Smile
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 pm

I don't mean to be rude, but why don't you just RTFM?
There are plenty tutorials out there, which explain how to set up a Quake3 server. Since SG bases upon Q3, setting up a server is almost the same.

Anyways, we need more information about your conditions. Which hardware, which OS, etc. What are the specific problems (error messages and the like)?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Sucalakafufu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 pm

/dev/random wrote:I don't mean to be rude, but why don't you just RTFM?
There are plenty tutorials out there, which explain how to set up a Quake3 server. Since SG bases upon Q3, setting up a server is almost the same.

Anyways, we need more information about your conditions. Which hardware, which OS, etc. What are the specific problems (error messages and the like)?

do u mean the manual that came with SG? cuz i read it and i couldnt find anything about servers. and the manuals ive found on setting up a q3 server dont work for SG :/ anyway im not getting any error messages. basically i tried 2 ways of setting up a server:
1. i tried by- opening SG, clicking multiplayer, create new, making sure dedicated is set to yes and type is "internet".
this gets the server running but for some reason only over a LAN
2. i tried editing the server.cfg which i had hoped would be the right .cfg file to edit. unless i need to create another like q3 servers need to. then i tried starting up SG. this also got the server started but only over my LAN. lol

my OS is windows; the hardware varies because ill eventually set it up on a rack server at my school and a server we use to host websites. and im testing trying to set up a server on my laptop: HP 1.6 GHZ dual core 2 GB RAM; and on an old PC that i have. basically i just want to be able to get one running over the internet so that later i can set up one that will run continuously

anyway im sorry if im just being dumb or seem lazy. i havent had the time to really search hard and deep. im taking summer school and thats been more of a hassle than i expected >_<
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Assuming you have SG in C:\SG and your server.cfg in C:\SG\smokinguns\server.cfg, try the following:

Code: Select all
"C:\SG\smokinguns.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg

This will launch a dedicated smokin guns server, which only hosts the game. If you want to participate in the game, you need to start SG a second time and join your server.

Make sure port 27960 UDP or whatever you choose has been enabled in your firewall.
Of course you'll need to have some settings and a maprotation inside your config ;)

As a side note, this is exactly what you'd do to start a Q3 server. Of course it's quake3.exe and maybe another path, but that's it. And the config has different cvars and maps, but that's not too diffcult to grab I guess :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 am

/dev/random wrote:Assuming you have SG in C:\SG and your server.cfg in C:\SG\smokinguns\server.cfg, try the following:

"C:\SG\smokinguns.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg

This will launch a dedicated smokin guns server, which only hosts the game. If you want to participate in the game, you need to start SG a second time and join your server.

Make sure port 27960 UDP or whatever you choose has been enabled in your firewall.
Of course you'll need to have some settings and a maprotation inside your config ;)

As a side note, this is exactly what you'd do to start a Q3 server. Of course it's quake3.exe and maybe another path, but that's it. And the config has different cvars and maps, but that's not too diffcult to grab I guess :D

thx :) so well i did that and i got the same result that i have been getting
does the [UDP] in the server name mean that the port that i chose is blocked from my router? if so then i think i can fix that and get it public :)

EDIT: ok well i think it is the port now. and im trying to find a port that even my school would keep open. so basically one that a router would by default keep open. i tried ports 80 and 443 which are the http and https ports if im correct. it seems to be glitching with these. is there another port that will probably be open even on a router where the admin blocks most ports? or is there a way to get port 80 or port 443 working properly with SG or does that mess things up?
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Why don't you ask your school's admin whether he will open the port in the firewall? If it is blocked, there's most likely a reason to it. Circumventing these rules may result in a lot of trouble :roll:

If port 80/442 is open, this is usally TCP, not UDP. Furthermore, ports < 1024 do need admin-privileges to be opened. You may portscan your school's server and see which ports aren't filtered ;)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:28 pm

/dev/random wrote:Why don't you ask your school's admin whether he will open the port in the firewall? If it is blocked, there's most likely a reason to it. Circumventing these rules may result in a lot of trouble :roll:

If port 80/442 is open, this is usally TCP, not UDP. Furthermore, ports < 1024 do need admin-privileges to be opened. You may portscan your school's server and see which ports aren't filtered ;)

oops! ur soo right on the TCP not UDP! LOL no wonder im making it glitch! :D haha
anyway ill probly just port scan once i get back to school because the ports that are blocked are closed mostly because of other people who don't know how to use them properly. :| so i doubt they would be opened again just for me lol :P anyway im gonna try to get a test server up and open from my router here. then once i get to school ill try to get one up and running on any port that might be open :D

P.S. is the [UDP] after my server's name in the screenshot because the port i used starting it up that time isn't open?

thx for all ur help! :P
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:18 pm

The game doesn't know whether ports are open or not.
The "UDP" is just added to indicate the server is using udp when querying local servers. Sort of pointless, since there is no other protocol being used iirc :D
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 am

/dev/random wrote:The game doesn't know whether ports are open or not.
The "UDP" is just added to indicate the server is using udp when querying local servers. Sort of pointless, since there is no other protocol being used iirc :D

lol ic.
well i have a different problem now.. i can get it so that the server is up and running. and it doesnt show up in the LOCAL server area.
i checked the INTERNET area and it seems that it isnt showing up there either.
what could be causing this? because the console shows that the game is running the way it should
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Good day Sucalakafufu,

There are two kind of servers - dedicated and not dedicated. The dedicated server means that you'll start only the server without the client part of the game. That is a good choice since you won't be all-the-time online there. And to any internet game server it is better to be on a dedicated machine and be responsible only for server work (you don't need even a monitor on such a machine).

To start the dedicated server you'll need to add some specified command line arguments to smokin' guns executable.
Here is a short note about 1.1 version: 1.1 SG could be built with MinGW which is a port of unix compiler. If you'll built the version with it - you'll get two files instead of one as in case of 1.0 version:
smokinguns.x86.exe
smokinguns_dedicated.x86.exe

Their names are pretty self explanatory.
Anyway for now we have only 1.0 version which has only one executable
smokinguns.exe.
My assumption is that you are currently using 1.0 version. If you want to use newest 1.1 - compile it with MinGW and use smokinguns_dedicated.x86.exe which is much more convenient. (if you don't have MinGW and just want only to try 1.1 built from MinGW - you may ask anyone here to built it for you to try things yourself. I can do it as well)

To add an additional argument to the executable you may create a bath file which is simple text file with .bat extension. Or add those parameters to your shortcut to SG. Or just launch the game from run tool in windows. I would recommend you to create a bath file.
Your bath file may look like this:
StartServer.bat wrote:smokinguns.exe <additional parameters>

Just put it near your SG executable file.
Now to those <additional parameters>.
1. Dedicated mode.
+set dedicated 1
or
+set dedicated 2
If you set it to 2 your server will notify Quake master server. That means it will be viewable by other players in internet multiplayer menu game. In that case the game will use a few console variables from server configuration: sv_master1, sv_master2, ..., sv_server5. Those store names of master servers which your server should notify. Take a look at them in the config section later in this post.
Without dedicated 2 and set sv_master* your server won't be visible in internet multiplayer game menu for players. But they still may connect to you using /connect <server ip> console command.
2. com_hunkmegs.
+set com_hunkmegs <amount megabytes>
Amount of allocated megabytes of memory for server (to handle maps and map items). You may use default value if you don't care about server's memory - it's default case. It is vital value for old server machines where not much memory to use.
Start from value of 26 and increase it by 2 if you'll get any *alloc* error.
3. net_ip.
+set net_ip <ip address>
This one allows you to explicitly set which ip address should server use. Usually it is not required, but in case if you have more than one network (like me, for example - I have three) you may set ip address here.
4. net_port.
+set net_port <port>
Here you may specify the server's net port. The default one is 27960. if server is already using that default port for something - use this option to set a new value for net port. Or use it if you just want to make your server more private - it is a common practice. The players who want to connect to you will have to explicitly set port in /connect <server ip>:<server net port> command.
If you need more than one server on one machine - remember to set different port for each of game servers.
5. Server configuration file.
+exec <configuration file name and path relative to smokinguns game directory>
This is most important thing that differ one server from another. The file is consist of server console variables (all those are named like sv_*). You also may set them in command line like that:
+set <server variable> <variable value>
I'll give you here a begin of a simple server configuration file with my and most common tutorials comments which should help you to start (inside the spoil to reduce post height):
//Admin's information
sets Admin "Me"
sets Email "My e-mail"
sets sv_location "My location"
sets MOD_URL "forum.smokin-guns.org"
sets IRC "#smokinguns @ irc.freenode.net"

set sv_hostname "My first server" //sets the server name that will show up in the master server list. The name must be enclosed in quotes if a space is in the name. You may use also color names here as well via ^<number> (just like in nick names).

set sv_maxclients 8 //sets the maximum amount of clients that can connect to the server. The default setting is 8.

set sv_privatePassword "pwd" //sets a password on the server so only clients that know the password can connect to the server. Clients use the \password command. The default is for no password required. Set to "" for no password.

set sv_privateClients 0 // if "sv_privateClients" is set > 0, then that number
// of client slots will be reserved for connections that
// have "password" set to the value of "sv_privatePassword"
// Info requests will report the maxclients as if the private
// slots didn't exist, to prevent people from trying to connect
// to a full server.
// This is to allow us (ID) to reserve a couple slots here on our
// servers so we can play without having to kick people.
// Use 0 to turn off that possibility.

//set rconpassword "" // sets remote console password so clients may change server settings without direct access to the server console. The default is set to none. Client can control the server by entering commands on the console with the format of \rconpassword mypass and then adding server commands after the \rcon command.

set sv_master1 "master3.idsoftware.com" //sets the primary master server to which your server reports. The default is master3.idsoftware.com and it is not recommended that this be changed. Additional master servers can be added with the sv_master2 through 5 command. The maximum number of masters that can be reported to is 5. For example:
//set sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com:28900"
//set sv_master3 "master.kali.net"
//set sv_master4 "monster.idsoftware.com"
//set sv_master5 "clanservers.net"

set sv_maxRate 25000 // sets the maximum allowable rate a client may have set when connected to the server. The default is 0, which is no limit. A suggested setting is 8000 or 10000 so server bandwidth is not used up by high speed clients, thus allowing modem players to have a smoother game. You may take a look to the table given here - http://tornado-css.clan.su/Baner_Tornad ... xrate1.png. Or just use the following formula to get required sv_maxrate: sv_maxrate = your upload speed (kilobytes per second) / (players number * 8 * 1000)

set sv_pure 1 // controls crc/zip check of client pk3 files to make sure the pk3 file has not been modified for cheating or other purposes. Client pk3 files must match that of the server to connect. The default is set to 1, or on. Set to 0 to turn off check.
//sv_pure 0 - Client with modified or additional (with comparison to sever) paks won't be able to connect. But server may has additional (even cheating ones) paks which client may use as well.
//Keep this with 1 for online servers

set sv_allowdownload 0 // Allow clients to download map if client hasn't one. Set this to 0 to prevent downloading from server.

set g_motd "Welcome!" // Message of the day. The greeting which players will get.

//Use here other stuff from server.cfg, they are pretty well commented there
//You may also include other configuration files like that:
//exec <configuartion file>

You may have a string inside your bat file like that one:
StartServer.bat wrote:smokinguns.exe +set dedicated 2 exec MyFirstServer.cfg

After that you may have your first dedicated internet server up and running.
Of course to be a good admin - you'll need to know a lot of SG console commands. Feel free to ask about them.

About other technical problems you may meet in school - first of all you'll need to find an admin in your school. Admin may help you with network & other stuff (like firewalls) configuration to get server up in school. And I think admin have the right to know about your server anyway.
If you plan to up a server at your home, then you should be aware that it is a risky thing. Especially if you are not sure what exactly you are doing while configuring network stuff. You may end up by leaving your PC without any protection with open ports and public server running on it. That will give some guys a real chance to train in their network&hacking abilities.
So, if you are not sure - try to learn first, do second.
I would also recommend you to join official SG IRC channel while you'll be trying to set up your network software&hardware. At least you will have an opportunity to ask a quick help.
In all other cases - just be sure that the server's net port (UDP listen) is opened and not blocked. Also check that your server uses proper IP address. Check that windows firewall don't block the game.
Also don't forget to use log files when you'll met any troubles. They will help a lot to solve your troubles.
During setting your server on internet with dedicated 2 option set - be aware that master server needs time to know that your server is up. Try to connect to it by specifying its IP address via /connect <server ip> command first.

Good luck! Hope to see your server up soon!

P.S. Actually I hoped that somebody of our admins would help you and may be even share with you a server configuration file.. I'm not an admin so I don't have any one mine.
P.P.S. One day SG will have it is own upgraded manual about everything too! But no one except us (SG community) will write it :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

thx Lucky Bro. so just a question. does anyone know about how long a server needs to be running till everyone else can see it publically?
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 pm

This depends on the masterserver(s). I'd at least wait 10min with the id one.
If your server still isn't listed, give us some of its console output and maybe even an ip to test.

@Lucky: Huh, quite a long post. But nothing new overall, this is not even SG specific and could be found online anywhere :wink:
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:21 am

SG 1.0 win-x86 Dec 29 2008
----- FS_Startup -----
pak0 has checksum 2206249363
alamo1 has checksum 3611996451
joekarimat1 has checksum 891991440
sg_maps0 has checksum 3111238755
sg_pak0 has checksum 2450671269
sg_sounds has checksum 1404357192
sg_textures0 has checksum 3110057026
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_textures0.pk3 (1018 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_sounds.pk3 (278 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_pak0.pk3 (803 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_maps0.pk3 (161 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\joekarimat1.pk3 (178 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\alamo1.pk3 (14 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/smokinguns
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\baseq3\pak0.pk3 (107 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/baseq3

----------------------
2559 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
No window for DirectInput mouse init, delaying
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: 192.168.1.101:27960
Hostname: Sucalakafufu
IP: 192.168.1.101
IP: 5.19.52.77
IP: 192.168.0.1
IP: 192.168.218.1
Working directory: C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns
execing server.cfg
------ Server Initialization ------
Server: dm_hangemhigh
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- FS_Startup -----
pak0 has checksum 2206249363
alamo1 has checksum 3611996451
joekarimat1 has checksum 891991440
sg_maps0 has checksum 3111238755
sg_pak0 has checksum 2450671269
sg_sounds has checksum 1404357192
sg_textures0 has checksum 3110057026
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_textures0.pk3 (1018 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_sounds.pk3 (278 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_pak0.pk3 (803 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_maps0.pk3 (161 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\joekarimat1.pk3 (178 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\alamo1.pk3 (14 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/smokinguns
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\baseq3\pak0.pk3 (107 files)
C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns/baseq3

----------------------
5118 files in pk3 files
Loading vm file vm/qagame.qvm.
VM file qagame compiled to 1607212 bytes of code
qagame loaded in 4532960 bytes on the hunk
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: smokinguns
gamedate: Dec 29 2008
Swap_Init: byte order functions set on little endian QVM
Server: Loading tex-file... maps/dm_hangemhigh.tex
AiNode-File: maps/dm_hangemhigh.ai:
40 nodes parsed
------------------------------------------------------------
InitGame: \g_deathcam\0\g_splitChat\0\g_chaseonly\0\g_roundtime\0\du_forcetrio\0\du_enabletrio\0\scorelimit\10\duellimit\5\g_specsareflies\1\g_blueteamname\Lawmen\g_redteamname\Outlaws\sv_hostname\FU Server TEST\sv_maxRate\8000\sv_minPing\0\sv_maxPing\0\sv_floodProtect\1\dmflags\0\fraglimit\30\timelimit\0\sv_maxclients\12\g_maxGameClients\0\g_allowVote\1\g_gametype\0\g_delagHitscan\1\g_allowVoteKick\1\version\SG 1.0 win-x86 Dec 29 2008\protocol\68\mapname\dm_hangemhigh\sv_privateClients\0\sv_allowDownload\0\Admin\Sucalakafufu\g_motd\Please visit forum.smokin-guns.org\sv_Location\your server's location\MOD_URL\forum.smokin-guns.org\IRC\#smokinguns @ irc.freenode.net\gamename\smokinguns\g_needpass\0\g_unlaggedVersion\2.0\g_redteamcount\0\g_blueteamcount\0\g_redteamscore\0\g_blueteamscore\0\sg_version\1.0 20081229
0 teams with 0 entities
21 items registered
-----------------------------------
------- BotLib Initialization -------
loaded weapons.c
loaded items.c
loaded syn.c
loaded rnd.c
loaded match.c
loaded rchat.c
------------ Map Loading ------------
trying to load maps/dm_hangemhigh.aas
loaded maps/dm_hangemhigh.aas
weapon_knife not reachable for bots at (64.0 192.0 151.1)
weapon_knife not reachable for bots at (64.0 226.0 151.1)
found 7 level items
-------------------------------------
8 bots parsed
file not found: scripts/arenas.txt
0 arenas parsed
server time 0 , map time 0
AAS initialized.
-----------------------------------
Hitch warning: 190506944 msec frame time
Resolving master.quake3arena.com
master.quake3arena.com resolved to 192.246.40.56:27950
Sending heartbeat to master.quake3arena.com
Resolving master0.gamespy.com
master0.gamespy.com resolved to 207.38.11.174:27950
Sending heartbeat to master0.gamespy.com
Hitch warning: 1885 msec frame time
Hitch warning: 14319 msec frame time
loaded skill 1 from bots/default_c.c
loaded skill 1 from bots/male1_c.c
loaded skill 4 from bots/default_c.c
loaded skill 4 from bots/male1_c.c
loaded bots/male1_i.c
loaded bots/male1_w.c
loaded Clint from bots/male1_t.c
ClientConnect: 0
ClientUserinfoChanged: 0 n\TheMexican\t\0\model\wq_male3/red\hc\90\w\0\l\0\skill\3.000000\tt\0\tl\0
broadcast: print "TheMexican connected\n"
broadcast: print "TheMexican entered the game\n"
ClientBegin: 0
Item: 0 weapon_schofield bought ($18/$20)

so well im sorry if this is long but this is what im getting in the console. im currently waiting to see if it will appear in the Smokin' Guns server listing but i have a feeling im doing something wrong still X_X let me kno if something in there is wrong thx dev!
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:43 am

/dev/random, he didn't ask about something new. But now he may ask more detailed questions based on the same knowledge as I have. As you can see - he has listed log now. And he mentioned master server which he wasn't aware of. It is easier to me.

Sucalakafufu,
As you can see, you have more than one IP (I have the same at home):
Interesting part wrote:Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: 192.168.1.101:27960
Hostname: Sucalakafufu
IP: 192.168.1.101
IP: 5.19.52.77
IP: 192.168.0.1
IP: 192.168.218.1

But you are using only local one - 192.168.1.101:27960. So, you need to specify your outside IP in net_address argument, which is 5.19.52.77 I suppose.
But actually I think that this IP (5.19.52.77) is going from hamachi.. And you just haven't your own outside IP here. That happens because you connected to internet via other machine in your local network area, am I right? In other words you don't have direct access to the internet (and outside IP address). I tried to start internet server on such a machine, but I failed (actually I didn't try much - just started it with net_address <my outside IP taken from myip.ru, for example>). I'm not sure if it is possible at all. I decided that problem just by launching server on my server machine which had direct access to the internet. But that is a cheating not a real solution :) I'll try to find out something, but I'm not sure if it is possible, so nothing to promise :) And maybe someone else will help you here :)
Anyway just to be sure - let me know if your current PC hasn't direct access to the internet and my assumption is correct.
(if you don't understand what am I talking about - feel free to ask)
Good luck :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:50 am

Lucky Bro wrote:Anyway just to be sure - let me know if your current PC hasn't direct access to the internet and my assumption is correct.

well if u mean is my computer plugged directly into the ethernet cable then no :) im connecting to the internet through a wireless router

Lucky Bro wrote:I think that this IP (5.19.52.77) is going from hamachi

yup thats my hamachi IP. but its not on atm :P
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Telegraph Station

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel