With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

hi!

Postby ggYY » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 pm

I did not know if post here or in saloon..
first, great game! It is really funny.

And the point of the post is that I would ask if is possible to run .x86 linux binary with smp support, because I discovered that with wine using the .exe binary I get 10 FPS more at highest resolution. It is not that exe binary is better, is because my system is a intel 3000 HT and wine uses SMP when running applications even if this are not designed to do it.

any way to use SMP?
thanks
ggYY
Newcomer

Postby Pyrite » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 pm

As far as I know, smp handling should be done the kernel, not the binary itself, you'd need to check it's working for the whole system. If you try "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and it lists two CPUs then it's already doing smp. For a difference of 10fps, it seems more likely that the graphics driver is better in Windows than down to the CPU. Are you using an AMD card by any chance?
Pyrite
Pistolero

smp

Postby ggYY » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:20 pm

kernel is part of the smp thing, smp is working but I think that binary must be compiled or programmed with smp support, I know because other games like ETQW, thay added support for smp and I can really see the difference.

As you can see HT and SMP are working in my system:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 375.000
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 6028.89
clflush size : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 375.000
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 6027.94
clflush size : 64
power management:

Some applications uses both cpus and others they do not, and I think is a programming problem.

As you can see in this forum: http://community.enemyterritory.com/for ... 413&page=3"

"here is a new relase:1.17 Now you can set SMP rendering if you have Multi-core processor."

smp and multi core rendering must be in the application too, I'm not programmer, I do not know much.

First etqw made a etqw-smp binary but after was just a command option (-smp).

Anyway, game works really fast and soft, it is just that is strange that wine runs faster than a linux binary, and I know is just that is the use of both CPUs, I can see in the monitor how .x86 takes 100% of only one CPU, and wine takes about 80% ob both CPUs.

system: uname -ra
Linux xxx 2.6.27-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 26 13:40:41 CET 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

thanks!
ggYY
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:10 am

Yes SMP is supported by the SG engine.
We just had to try it before release it and I tried it a day ago.
I will probably release optimized binaries for linux in the next days.
Stay tuned ;)
Tequila
SG Team

OOO

Postby ggYY » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:51 pm

thanks, that's what I wanted to know, I'll stay tuned, of course.

good luck, kill you in S&G!

:wink:
ggYY
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 am

The Windows version is faster because the binary has to be compiled using the multithreaded Visual C++ library regardless of application support. Since the code supports it, it just works because it builds cleanly enough for MSVC. Around VC++ .NET 2003 and later this was made the only option, and there's no such thing as building without threading support now.
sparcdr
SG Team

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel