With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Postby Redwing » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Pardon my complete ineptitude when it comes to understanding code and the like, but are these "cvars" available throughout the game, only online, or only on a particular server? I would think if it were a game-wide change we would need to update... also, how do you activate them?

Just linking to the appropriate FAQ would be fine; don't hurt me :|
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Pardner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 pm

you can change cvars any time simply by pressing the "~" key and typing:

/<cvarname> <value>

these new cvars will be available when the new patch is released, so yes you will have to update your game.

Some cvars are server side, some are are client side. Server side cvars control how the game reacts. When you connect to an online server, you can try to change the cvar g_gravity, but you will most likely get a message saying that the sever is not running on your machine.But, it you play the single player or create your own multilayer you can change g_gravity all you want.

The cvars you are currently using are stored in "*/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/q3config" You can change anything there and it will be applied when the game is started. For instance:
/set name ^1Redwing
is probably what you will find somewhere in there. This just sets you name to Redwing. If at anytime durrign the game you want to change your name, just type
/name <yourname>

Hope this helps :D

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Pardner wrote:[If] you play the single player or create your own multilayer you can change g_gravity all you want.

8O
I AM DOING THAT. :D
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby sparcdr » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:31 am

The source is available and builds for most Linux/Windows systems, so enabling cheats is up to the administrator, but such notice should be made in the instance. The internal team hosting servers such as myself (deviant pointer sg 1.0) and Tequila (smokinguns.fr) as well as ReD (Rawhide) should probably mark ours official for such reasons, as we will never do such a thing. Depending on circumstances, it's understandable to have such ability, but heed to be careful when you do, as the implications can affect the perception about the official project and associated servers as well.
sparcdr
SG Team

Re: new cvar and game behaviour

Postby Clink Eastward » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Pardner wrote:
Joe Kari wrote:0: (default value) doesn't change anything (winner will be defender next round).
1: inverse the usual: the winner will be robber next round
2: Outlaws are always robbers, regardless of who won the last round
3: Lawmen are always robbers, regardless of who won the last round

Joe, this is the kinda modifications I really like to see. This cvar allows for SG to behave just like WQ3, but if the server admin can mix it up if they wish too. more modifications like this will make each server a little bit different. :D

Agree, great tweaks to gameplay.
"But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco"
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Previous

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel