With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Postby /dev/random » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Downloaded r128 and it compiles well. I will edit this post when I have tested the engine.

The server was running at home with my crappy connection. If it is online, it's named "Smokin' CPU Server" :D

Edit: It seems to run fine. It didn't crash or display any errors, graphics are still the same and performance seems to be even better. One more thing is, my mouse finally works. With the current SG release I had some problems due to a non-dga mouse, ioQuake handles them fine.

There's still one thing that shows up in the console, but that already happened with the current version of SG.
ERROR: S_AL_CheckInput: handle 468335 out of range

I don't think it is related to the backport.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pyrite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 am

The client won't compile for me (on x86). I get the following:
Code: Select all
In file included from code/SDL12/include/SDL_config.h:42,
                 from code/SDL12/include/SDL_stdinc.h:28,
                 from code/SDL12/include/SDL_main.h:26,
                 from code/SDL12/include/SDL.h:28,
                 from code/client/../sys/sys_loadlib.h:39,
                 from code/client/cl_curl.c:28:
code/SDL12/include/SDL_config_minimal.h:39: error: conflicting types for ‘uintptr_t’
/usr/include/stdint.h:129: error: previous declaration of ‘uintptr_t’ was here
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-i386/client/cl_curl.o] Error 1

The server compiles just fine on PowerPC now, I gave it a very quick test, going to re-up my public server with it now! Great work!
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 am

Hum, there should be some C header collision somewhere...
To help us to understand, can you put here the very first lines of the make ? You know, the lines where we can see PLATFORM, ARCH, CFLAGS, LIBS... This could help us to reproduce your case.
Btw, can you try installing the SDL develpement package for your computer ?

Which is your PPC server name ? Just to try it ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pyrite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Here's the beginning of make:
make: sdl-config: Command not found
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/pyrite/smokinguns/smokinguns-1.1'

Building smokinguns in ./build/release-linux-i386:
  PLATFORM: linux
  ARCH: i386
  VERSION: 1.1_SVN128
  COMPILE_PLATFORM: linux
  COMPILE_ARCH: i386
  CC: cc

CFLAGS:
    -MMD
    -Wall
    -fno-strict-aliasing
    -Wimplicit
    -Wstrict-prototypes
    -pipe
    -DUSE_ICON
    -DUSE_OPENAL
    -DUSE_CURL
    -DUSE_CURL_DLOPEN
    -Icode/SDL12/include
    -m32
    -DUSE_MUMBLE
    -DUSE_VOIP
    -DFLOATING_POINT
    -DUSE_ALLOCA
    -Icode/libspeex/include
    -DUSE_LOCAL_HEADERS
    -DSTANDALONE
    -DSMOKINGUNS
    -DPRODUCT_VERSION="1.1_SVN128"
    -DNDEBUG
    -O3
    -march=i586
    -fomit-frame-pointer
    -ffast-math
    -funroll-loops
    -falign-loops=2
    -falign-jumps=2
    -falign-functions=2
    -fstrength-reduce

LDFLAGS:

LIBS:
    -ldl
    -lm

Output:
    ./build/release-linux-i386/smokinguns.i386

I'm in the process of downloading the libsdl-dev package and other updates, will report back on what happens there. In the meantime, I tried compiling the client on another computer with a very similar setup that already had libsdl-dev installed on it, and everything was fine.
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Pyrite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Okay, installed libsdl-dev on the computer that didn't have it before, and it seems to have worked, the compile completed succesfully and the client binary runs fine.

Incidentally, I came up with an error line while building:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lopenal

Installing the package libopenal-dev fixed it, I just make a note of it here in case other people have the same trouble. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, packages may well have different names for other distros.

Also, one other thing I noticed: after starting the client, the main screen comes up, with the single gun for single player, the crossed guns for multiplayer, and so on. At the bottom of the screen is information about the game, which still says "Smokin' Guns 1.0c". Not too important, but you may want to do something about it.

Anyway, thank you again for your work! All is looking good!
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Pyrite wrote:Also, one other thing I noticed: after starting the client, the main screen comes up, with the single gun for single player, the crossed guns for multiplayer, and so on. At the bottom of the screen is information about the game, which still says "Smokin' Guns 1.0c". Not too important, but you may want to do something about it.

Thanks again Pyrite for your try, that's sweet to hear people not ignoring our work ;)

I will investigate your case without libsdl-devel & libopenal-devel as I though the build was possible with the ones given with the sources.

For the version you're seeing at the bottom of the main screen, that's normal. This is the version of the game which is different from the engine version. This version is specified in some ui menu file and will only be updated on main public release. Btw you can see your current engine version when opening the console or when you're ingame by selecting the serverinfo menu.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for the hint about OpenAL. I was able to compile it just fine on Windows using Visual C++ 2008 (VC9) and OpenAL 1.1 SDK.

A few of our internal members have already tested a few different binaries I've put out, and eventually we'll let the public try them too.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby RoCKeTKaT » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi,

So, I've just tried compiling the svn on a 64-bit Linux machine, but all it gives me is a black screen and this output on the terminal:
http://pastebin.com/m682b72e2

I'm running slamd64 12.1, gcc 4.2.3, and openal svn revision 1471.
RoCKeTKaT
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 am

NVIDIA OpenGL bug? Try a different version of the driver maybe. I doubt it's libc specifically.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby RoCKeTKaT » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:29 pm

sparcdr wrote:NVIDIA OpenGL bug? Try a different version of the driver maybe. I doubt it's libc specifically.

I've updated to the latest drivers, recompiled the game, and I get the same result.

So basically after compiling the game I copy the ELF into the Smoking Guns main directory where the other executables are, and then run it. Is that right ?
RoCKeTKaT
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes that's right.

Which Nvidia driver versions have you tried ? Can you try an older one ? I saw you're using the "GL_VERSION: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 180.22" one in your paste... on my part, I successfully used Nvidia v173.14.15 packaged for Fedora 9.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Brainslug » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi all, looks like I need some pro help with the SG ioquake backport...

Here's the situation: Fresh Debian Lenny 64bit install. Fresh ioquake3 installation, runs perfectly. Checked out SG ioquake backport from SVN. Compiles fine, installs without problems.

Now, when trying to start 'smokinguns.x86_64' in ioquake3-directory, I get the error message "0 files in pk3 files .Couldn't load default.cfg". But as I said, 'ioquake3' runs without any problems and some 100MBs of pak*-files are in ./baseq3

When copying over my q3config.cfg from ~/.q3a/baseq3 file to ~/.smokinguns/smokinguns/default.cfg, SG starts but immediately segfaults after NVIDIA GLX initialization. (Can post the strace if needed...).

Any help would be highly appreciated as I really liked the old westernquake on my previous Etch 32bit system....

Thanks in advice !
Brainslug
Newcomer

Postby sparcdr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:20 am

Missing NVIDIA OpenGL compat libs or a broken library symlink perhaps?
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Are you sure you have all the neccessary pk3s in ./smokinguns/ below the engine and/or in ~/.smokinguns/smokinguns/ ?
Maybe access-rights are broken?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Brainslug » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi all, thanks for the quick replies.

I have the current NVIDIA-driver 180.22 installed together with the 32bit compats. So it shouldn't really be a nvidia problem (all other glx games are also running w/o any problems).

But '/dev/random' could be right. I do have a lot of pk3-files in '/ioquake3/baseq3', but my '/ioquake3/smokinguns' directory is actually empty! What files are supposed to be there? Do they come with the svn checkout (can't find them there) or should I symlink all /ioquake3/baseq3/* thereto?

Thanks alot for your help, really appreciated!
Brainslug
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel