With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

Postby Tequila » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Okay, I got your patch from your link in IRC.

Btw I simplified it a lot as you were using new custom command and that's not a good idea for such stuff. Cvars are completely sufficient. I also enhanced it so you can choose between 4 modes:
1. classic mode, no change
2. classic mode but with transparency applied
3. your proposed mode: just a color with transparency
4. classic mode, but colorized, with transparency

Btw for mode 2 and 4, the console shader must have been fixed to support colorization and transparency.

In next beta release, the fixed console shader and an updated UI will be provided to customize the console.

For interested people, the shader will be fixed with that one:
Code: Select all
console
{
   nopicmip
   nomipmaps
   {
      map gfx/misc/console01.tga
      blendfunc   GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
      rgbGen vertex
   }
}

Thanks again Conq
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:51 am

I've toyed with this a bit and have a suggestion for default settings. :)
  • cl_consoleType 2
  • cl_consoleColorRed 0.25
  • cl_consoleColorGreen 0.1
  • cl_consoleColorBlue 0
  • cl_consoleColorAlpha 0.5
This results in a brownish color with 50% transparency. It's mode 3 on your list. Looks nice on my monitor, at least.

The cvar for alpha should probably be called cl_consoleAlpha, as it's definitely not a color, and it works with a background image too. :P

I think that the GUI for this could be simplified a bit. The "Colorized" option looks pretty bad, at least with the current background image. And "Classic" and "Transparent" is really the same thing. So how about just having "Image" and "Custom color" as the choices, and always allowing alpha to bet set? This could of course be reflected in the code too, by allowing only two values for cl_consoleType.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:39 pm

torhu wrote:I've toyed with this a bit and have a suggestion for default settings. :)
  • cl_consoleType 2
  • cl_consoleColorRed 0.25
  • cl_consoleColorGreen 0.1
  • cl_consoleColorBlue 0
  • cl_consoleColorAlpha 0.5
This results in a brownish color with 50% transparency. It's mode 3 on your list. Looks nice on my monitor, at least.

The cvar for alpha should probably be called cl_consoleAlpha, as it's definitely not a color, and it works with a background image too. :P

I think that the GUI for this could be simplified a bit. The "Colorized" option looks pretty bad, at least with the current background image. And "Classic" and "Transparent" is really the same thing. So how about just having "Image" and "Custom color" as the choices, and always allowing alpha to bet set? This could of course be reflected in the code too, by allowing only two values for cl_consoleType.

Okay I'll follow your proposition to only have 2 console types.
Btw I don't think to change the default as I really think the default shouldn't be changed without asking people. It's still fine people can use UI menu to change that by himself.
;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Then I just followed your advises, torhu.
Btw I renamed cl_consoleColorAlpha to better cl_consoleTransparency ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:24 am

Cool, and cl_consoleTransparency is a good name. :)

Tequila wrote:Btw I don't think to change the default as I really think the default shouldn't be changed without asking people. It's still fine people can use UI menu to change that by himself.
;)

But why do we add a new console if most users will never see it? I don't get it. As I see it, our job is to select the best defaults we can, that 90% of users will be happy with. If we have a new, better looking console, we should give everyone that. Not just the ones that go searching for hidden treasures in the settings. ;)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:29 pm

:)
Okay maybe a minimal enhancement then, like putting cl_consoleTransparency to 0.6 ?
I agree btw there is not there any important backward-compatibility problem ;)

I leave you that change to your feeling.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:44 am

Maybe this is the kind of thing where we could set up a poll to see what people think. 8)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Previous

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel