With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Haris2201 wrote:Thank you for nothing :D (joke)

I would like to think we are doing you a favor by not answering every little question. :P By figuring it out by yourself, you will remember how to do it. By the way, Radiant comes with a manual.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Haris2201 wrote:My question is: When I'll create brush who'll invisible on start (start_invis)
and when I break the wall it will come I msut set it like this:
The WALL:
func_breakable
target noname (for example)
weapon dynamite
The brush(es):
func_static
targetname noname
start_invis 1
When I make it like this then in the game I can see it on beginning.
Why and how to do it right?

I do not understand what you are tying to do. Maybe if you post some screen shots or hand-drawn sketches it might help.

Haris2201 wrote:And I forgot to ask how to make a terrain after I create my map.
For example:
I forgot a hill for something and I'll amke it with easygen later.
Is that possible?

Again, I am not sure what you mean. Do you already have an EasyGen terrain in the map and you want to modify it? Or do you already have a map and you want to insert a EasyGen terrain?

1. You already have an EasyGen terrain in the map and you want to modify it
    • Open the map and delete the terrain.
    • Open EasyGen and open your saved terrain
    • Modify the terrain, save the terrain
    • Export into a different map file
    • Open your old map file and load your new terrain as a prefab.
  2. You already have a map and you want to insert a EasyGen terrain.
    • Open EasyGen then import a map file. This will look something like this:
    • Modify your terrain,save, and then export as a different map file
    • Open your old map file and load your new terrain as a prefab

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Creating an EasyGen terrain for you and fixing your bugs for you does not help you learn. I can point out bugs and suggest tips until the cows come home, but you need to do them your self. Sure other mappers have created things for me, and I for them, but the end goal was to learn how to do it for ourselves.

1. Structure/Detail
    I noticed that all brushes in the map are structure brushes. Structure brushes should be used on brushes that can block visibility. Detail brushes should be used for brushes that do not block vis. Thisworks with hinting, which is an advanced topic that I have yet to master. You should start to work with detail brushes and structure brushes. This will help map performance as well as decrease compile time.

To change a brush from structure to detail, select the brush(s) then right click in the 2D window, and select "make detail".
  2. Caulk
    You did not use any Caulk texture. You should paint all surfaces that cannot be seen by the player with the Caulk texture. This really improves map performance. I also find it helps in editor navigation. When I create a new brush, I almost always paint it all caulk first, then I paint on the textures that I want.
  3. Z-fighting
    Z-fighting occurs when two brushes with textures are competing for the same space. Keep this in mind when you are making your map. Try not to have brushes with textures intersecting each other. A good way to avoid z-fighting is to use Calking methods mentioned above. I have not found a example on your new map, but I saw a lot on your previous map.
  4. Many func_breakable
    A lot of func_breakables are really cool in game, but they really decrease map performance. Same goes for all the other func_ entities (func_door_rotating, etc)
  5. Size proportions
    I noticed the map is HUGE with a lot of open spaces. Its up to the creator, but this seems to make for bad gameplay. Imagine br_elpaso with half the buildings.
  6. CG Substract
    I warned you that CG subtract can cause a lot of problems. For example:
    [thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/357_Untitled_3.jpg][timg]357_Untitled_3.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

You highlighted the all the well brushes and then click CG Subtract. This created tons and tons of odd shaped brushes. This is bad. You can fix some by selecting them and clicking Merge, but you would have been better off creating brushes around the well instead of using CG Subtract.
  7. Excessive brushes
    You don't really need all these brushes:
    [thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/357_Untitled_4.jpg][timg]357_Untitled_4.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

I admit it looks cool, but it slows map performance and increases compile time. you can use "common/nodraw" and "sg_wood1/wood_fence3" instead. Press "Shift+Ctrl" and click on the side of the brush to select just a single side to texture
  8. EasyGen
    Trying to jam an EasyGen terrain into a map that wasn't supposed to have one isn't a easy thing to do. I suggest starting with an EasyGen terrain then build your town on top of it. You can build a terrain, then copy paste your buildings into it. Those images I posted of my dm_lago, I created the town with a certain EasyGen terrain in mind. I did both simultaneously. EasyGen takes some getting used to... I still am trying. ReD_NeCKersoN has made dozens of EasyGen maps just for testing and learning. You cannot expect to make something simular the first time your try.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Pardner wrote:Trying to jam an EasyGen terrain into a map that wasn't supposed to have one isn't a easy thing to do.

I agree. Instead, maybe create a terrain & export it as a new map. Then copy/paste your existing buildings into that & move them around untill you like it.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Previous

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel