With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Re: My the first SG map

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:58 pm

MsH wrote:I didn't modify barrels from the previvous version of deadwood. How did they work then?

Well, in the previous version, there already was a barrel that had the same issue (near the wind-mill).

And one more thing: please ensure your textures and shader names are all lower case, e.g. change "Deadwood" into "deadwood". This should be true for both filenames as well as names inside the map and the shader-file. The reason is: under linux, case matters!
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:03 am

Edit3: I removed the whole stuff because I was still wrong.

I realiased that I can only use textures that I have already used in my map for the barrel.
1) So I removed barrels, saved and exit radiant.
2) I open radiant again and made a brush with the texture I want my barrel to be.
3) Save and exit and re-open radiant.
4) Made the barrel with the texture I want it to be.

I still have a question though I don't need an answer: why this is made so silly way?

Anyway NOW I'm free from those bastarrels. :mrgreen:
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby MsH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:58 pm

With your help Doctor, I got Deadwood compiled. Thanks.

One question: how do I get ase models solid? Should I make some nodraw-brushes around them?
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 am

MsH wrote:How do I get ase models solid?
Usually, one clip it manually using textures/common/clip. It suffices to overapproximate the form of the model. Good idea is also to clip before rotating, then rotate model as well as clip.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:54 am

I decided to publish new Deadwood right now.

More info and downloads at http://wiki.smokin-guns.org/wiki/Smokin ... H/Deadwood

Feel free to post feedback about the sounds, possible bugs and gameplay changes!

(BTW seems like bots are not moving. Looks like another thing I can't compile :P)

TheDoctor wrote:
MsH wrote:How do I get ase models solid?
Usually, one clip it manually using textures/common/clip. It suffices to overapproximate the form of the model. Good idea is also to clip before rotating, then rotate model as well as clip.

I already did that :) Thanks anyway for the answer!
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 am

MsH wrote:Seems like bots are not moving.

Bot support needs an additional processing step using the tool bspc:
bspc -threads 2 -aasopt -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas /home/user/maps/dm_deadwood.bsp

The result will be an .aas (Area Awareness System) file, which is needed for bot navigation. The old .aas file went incompatible as soon as you did recompile the map.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 am

I took the liberty to compile bot support and repackage deadwood1.1.pk3. You may play-test this version at bb.smokin-guns.org by \callvote map dm_deadwood (ensure \cl_allowdownload 1).
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 am

TheDoctor wrote:Bot support needs an additional processing step using the tool bspc:
bspc -threads 2 -aasopt -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas /home/user/maps/dm_deadwood.bsp

The result will be an .aas (Area Awareness System) file, which is needed for bot navigation. The old .aas file went incompatible as soon as you did recompile the map.

Does this thing work with br mode too?
Namely I compiled new br version with your compilelines and everything worked out well except bots. They just stands and make chaotic movements.
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:42 pm

MsH wrote:Does this thing work with br mode too?

Well, SG treats BR mode as a second map, so you'd need also to command:
bspc -threads 2 -aasopt -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas /home/user/maps/br_deadwood.bsp
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:51 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Well, SG treats BR mode as a second map, so you'd need also to command:
bspc -threads 2 -aasopt -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas /home/user/maps/br_deadwood.bsp

I compiled it as br already

Just in case the compileline I used:

-- q3map2.exe" -threads 2 -game smokinguns -fs_game smokinguns -custinfoparms -meta -v -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\br_deadwood.map"

-- q3map2.exe" -vis -threads 2 -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\br_deadwood.bsp"

-- q3map2.exe" -light -threads 2 -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns" "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\br_deadwood.bsp"

-- bspc.exe" -threads 2 -aasopt -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas "C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\maps\br_deadwood.bsp"
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:57 pm

And still no bots move on br_deadwood? If so, provide/upload a pk3 and I'll take a look at it.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm actually uploading v_1.2 soon anyway.

And btw thanks for compiling bot AI for v_1.1 :)

Edit: It's uploaded now: http://wiki.smokin-guns.org/attachment/ ... d_v1.2.pk3
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:48 pm

MsH wrote:I've uploaded v_1.2

To make bots move, they need a goal. In bank robbery, you should ensure, the bags of gold are reachable for bots. Aside from that, you could add ai-nodes. Bots visit ai-nodes along a path to their main object (the gold) and sometimes even as a intermediate goal (temporary goal substitute). To add ai-nodes, check the in-game commands node_print, node_openfile, node_set and node_savefile. The last command will create a maps/br_deadwod.ai file in your SG user directory. Add this file to the deadwood1.2.pk3. Aside ai-nodes, bots will also seek out small money or weapons.

To understand more about the motivation of bots to move, read this post. Note, the bugs I meantioned are already fixed.

If you continue to work on your map again, check the sky texture (near the sheriff) and the tunnel texture.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby MsH » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:20 pm

I noticed that tunnel is "missing" textures. I first ran it with q3map2toolz and everything was correct. When I'm using the .pk3 file and go play it the normal way, there is no textures in tunnel. (btw why I can't see deadwood maps in singleplayer mode list? I used the /map command)

Just thinking that could the lighting style in tunnel cause that problem?
They are flashing like candle fire.

And I updated DM version, made available to enter in church.
Strange thing: compiling the map took 18 hours.. Before this update it took 30min.

EDIT:
TheDoctor wrote:If you continue to work on your map again, check the sky texture (near the sheriff) and the tunnel texture.

Thanks I fixed it

EDIT2: Thanks for the info TheDoctor, I added .ai file for br mode. I didn't see it necessary for dm mode since there are money entities everywhere and usually some players.
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby MsH » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:29 pm

MsH
Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel