With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Missing SG textures in a custom map

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:23 am

Hi, I'm currently working on tweaking someone else's map and I'm missing some SG textures. The names suggest they ought be part of the SG/Joe's texture .paks (but I believe they aren't):
textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17_cb
textures/sg_sky/danight
textures/sg_glass/glass_boclamp
textures/joekari_cloth/cloth_rope1_phong
textures/sg_wood2/wood_window_noglow
textures/joekari_water/water_alamo1_f
textures/sg_glass/glass_nolight2x
textures/sg_glass/train_glass_nolight

Has anybody seen these textures? To which .pak do they belong? If they do not belong to an available .pak, can you provide them?

PS: Can anyone point me to where to download the example/tutorial(?) map?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:12 am

The example map is in the SG Mapping Tools download.
HERE or HERE

Those are shader names you're showing us, not the actual names of the textures. Look in sg.shader & joekari.shader to find the full info for those shaders. For example, the true name of the texture in this shader is wood_wood17.tga
Code: Select all
 {
    surfaceparm dust
    q3map_shadeangle 100
    qer_editorimage textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17.tga
    {
       map $lightmap
       rgbGen identity
    }
    {
       map textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17.tga
       blendFunc filter
    }
 }

You can find that texture, and most of the ones in your list, in the sg_textures0.pk3
For Joe Kari's stuff look in joekarimat1.pk3

But you should already have everything by default in your smokin guns installation. You are mapping in 1.1b4, yes?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:You are mapping in 1.1b4, yes?
I point q3map2 to a directory in which both the SG1.0 and the SG1.1b4 .paks are present.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Those are shader names you're showing us.
Indeed, I misinterpreted the error message "WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17_cb".

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:
 {
    surfaceparm dust
    q3map_shadeangle 100
    qer_editorimage textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17.tga
    {
       map $lightmap
       rgbGen identity
    }
    {
       map textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17.tga
       blendFunc filter
    }
 }
You can find that texture, and most of the ones in your list, in the sg_textures0.pk3

I found textures/sg_wood2/wood_wood17.jpg. The different suffix could explain the error message of q3map2. Question: Does this affect the compilation process and the rendering of the map? The map looks fine except the glasses of all circular lamps are missing, which suggests that SG itself is less strict when it comes to different file suffixes.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby /dev/random » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

According to the code, ioquake3 will first attempt to load the file with the given extension. If this fails, it will try all available file extensions using its internal priority list of tga, jpg, jpeg, png, pcx, bmp.

q3map2 will use the order of tga, png, jpg, dds even if a file with another extension exists.

Please do not take this info for granted, this is what it seems like after having a glimpse at the code :)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 pm

What /dev/random said. :)

In Radiant, load the appropriate shader set & see if what you're missing shows up normally in the editor. By that I mean in the texture set... not the affected brushes in the 3d window.
If so, manually reapply the texture to your brushes, recompile & see if that solves your problem.
If not, something is amiss in your installation.
I've had wierd stuff like this happen before.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 pm

/dev/random wrote:Please do not take this info for granted, this is what it seems like after having a glimpse at the code :)

I cannot confirm all of your post, but I can say that if you don't get the extensions exactly right, q3map2 will still get it right most of the time.

Doc, are any other shaders working in the map (ie skybox, water, glass, etc)? Q3map2 will complain about missing shaders/textures if you dont have the paths correct.... especially the -fs_basepath. One good clue is if they show up in Radiant, but q3map2 gives an error and/or they don't show up in game.

Also, make sure you have the newest shader scripts in your scripts folder. You will probably need to copy them out of Joe's newest map release as well as out of sg_pak1
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

There have been no problems with those shaders untill now. Something is up on Docs end of things. :wink:

EDIT: Pardner may be on to something with fs_basepath & newer scripts.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:27 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:In Radiant, load the appropriate shader set & see if what you're missing shows up normally in the editor.

Great minds!

textures/sg_sky/danight
textures/sg_glass/glass_boclamp
textures/sg_wood2/wood_window_noglow
textures/sg_glass/glass_nolight2x
textures/sg_glass/train_glass_nolight

I can confirm that these are in sg.shader. I don't know if they are new, but I would guess not. Also, I looked at the textures used, while some of the extensions were wrong in the script, the files were in the appropriate folders. The scripts are working, I use textures/sg_glass/glass_boclamp in NNC.

My guess is still the paths.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Pardner wrote:Doc, are any other shaders working in the map (ie skybox, water, glass, etc)?
Yes, in fact everything is working including water and skybox. I use -fs_basepath "/usr/share/games/smokinguns" to point to the main SG directory.

The lamp glass problem seems unrelated to the "missing" shader image warnings: I got a stripped down map working with lamp glasses. I think q3map2 really just wants to warn that the shaders are not strictly correct, while it (and SG) can easily handle mistaken file suffixes. I wouldn't have noticed these messages anyway if I wasn't looking for some explanation for the missing lamp glasses.

Thanks for your help!
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Some stage of q3map2 have tendencies to log false warning. For example the VIS stage: it complains every time it didn't find an image with the same name than the shader name. Other stage look into the shader to see what are the real image used in the shader.

This is what happened for the 2 textures of mine, and this is not an error at all. It would be an error if it complains for the light stage of q3map2.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel