With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Let's face it, SG could sure use some talented modellers.

Moderator: Joe Kari

Postby Tequila » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:18 pm

:D
Another possibility is to directly bend the bow when in position, then just hit fire to shoot. Anyway there will be always a delay before you can shoot another arrow.

About sounds, we need a sound when we bend, another one when we shoot and another one for the arrow in the air...

About "fire2" effects, we will see if we manage to support just arrows :P
Tequila
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:00 pm

About sounds, we need a sound when we bend, another one when we shoot and another one for the arrow in the air...

http://soundbible.com/tags-bow-and-arrow.html
that's all i could find right now (but I think they are not perfect). I will search on. 8)
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby !NuB!Donut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:41 pm

My suggestions:

shoot sound = http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=65733

arrow in the air sound = http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/warsounds.shtml (arrow swoosh)

bend sound = still missing :evil:
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Or maybe dynamite arrows. But I guess the fire arrow is a better idea. Also, you need to make the arrows stick in the walls, when you shoot against them. Would we be able to collect the arrows, like we do with knives? or the arrows would just get stuck? (if so, we could make an arrows ladder, shooting on the walls :D )
I believe 10 is a good number for the max amount of arrows, but 24 is too expensive for a bow, its the same cost of a shotgun. About the damage, i would say the same amount of damage as a sharps rifle's shot. Oh, and I prefer the "hold fire button" system as well.
Keep the amazing work, folks!
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 am

I would suggest rt click to bend, left click to fire, OR rt click again to unbend. That way you aren't forced to waste an arrow if you change your mind about firing.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 pm

As it's rather unusual to work around with a fully bended bow, I'd suggest left click to bend - click and hold, on release fire. Unbend with right click.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 pm

:D
Okay, there will be some work btw. Right now, I'm providing a test PK3 so you can see how it can be integrated in SG.

This is my rev2 test PK3 for bow: zzz-bow-rev2.pk3

For coders, if you want to contribute, no way, do it :P Here is the current patch for the engine: smokinguns-bow-rev2.patch

For now, I just focused on the integration part so you can buy the bow and arrows from the menu. For the shot, I stupidly bind the knife shot, so you'll see a knife flying when shooting.

This is the first I really check how to integrate a new weapon so it took a few time btw the engine is really limited about weapons number so it may be really tricky to fine tune more. In fact I discovered we only have one new weapon slot free. The problem behind that is the Protocol, so maybe it will be time to change it to a higher protocol number 69 to support more weapons.

Btw, you'll see there still have some job to do on the animation. But this is promising.

8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Lon' » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 am

I really liked the bow... but in my opinios just the indians could buy the bow... maybe in the place of sniper but off course with the same damage...
what u guys think about it?
Lon'
Gunslinger

Postby kaiyouw » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Lon, I dont think its possible to make the bow buyable just for one type of skin... (the indians are just different skins). I guess any player will be able to buy it, and Im ok with that. Besides, if we start to make the players different based on the skins, then we would have to change it completly, for example: make the guys with more armor, and the girls faster, or something like that.
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby !NuB!Donut » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:25 am

I was a bit bored the last few day so i stared working on another weapon. (Original I made this gun as an map model but then i realized the possibilities for such a gun)

1861 Springfield Musket:

Image Image

But the animation on this weapons are quite difficult so it will take some time to make that they look good. For example i really have to play and test around whits the reloading animation.

Video of reading and firing a 1861 Springfield Musket
vimeo.com Video from : vimeo.com

About the gun:
I thought of a single shoot rifle with a very huge reloading time, high damage, less accurate, with a bayonet attended to the barrel so that you can stab enemies in the back without changing to the knife. And of course there would be an physiological advantage because the enemy don't know if you only what to stab him or if you still have a bullet inside your rifle.

This is the first I really check how to integrate a new weapon so it took a few time btw the engine is really limited about weapons number so it may be really tricky to fine tune more. In fact I discovered we only have one new weapon slot free. The problem behind that is the Protocol, so maybe it will be time to change it to a higher protocol number 69 to support more weapons.

I hope that the thing with the higher protocol number works and I would be very pleased to make more weapons with you.
!NuB!Donut
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:45 am

For some excellent bow sounds...check out the latest Russell Crowe Robin Hood DVD! (If it is legal to use them?)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Probably not, or at least not with out permission.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby kaiyouw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Nice gun, I really liked how it looks and your idea of how it would work. Keep the good work, and please do not let the bow project become just a project.
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 am

I could attempt to record some arrow effects, if you haven't already found some. It's been a long time since I tried this, so I've forgotten where to email or upload them.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby steve » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:53 am

I am incredibly impressed with both the bow and the musket! Well done.

If you wouldn't mind I would love to attempt to create another skin/texture for your musket model.
steve
Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling & Animation

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel