With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby yap » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:54 pm

L3th4l wrote: Just need more in game of each map.

Do you want screenshots from a player's or a spectator's pov ("bird's eye" like)?
yap
Pistolero

Postby EvilFutsin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:27 pm

How about two of each? It may end up being one of each on the website, but I'd figured two of each would give us either A. variety or B. choices. :)

Just a friendly suggestion. :D
"I Gotta Believe!"
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Not directly related, but most of new players just don't know where are money bag in bank robbery... I was planning to start a thread, but I feel a little lazy about doing 3 screenshots (2 banks + escape) for all the BR map... Maybe some end-users can give it a try (on another thread of course) (and it would be nice if all that stuff would be ordered by map-name). :O)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby yap » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 pm

I've just mailed some screenshots showing the first 10 maps. Maybe I can do some more...

Joe Kari wrote:Not directly related, but most of new players just don't know where are money bag in bank robbery...

Imho taking screenshots showing the banks in BR mode can only be a workaround. To really make BR easy for beginners we would need a minimap showing the bank locations (similar to the "bomb" or "capture & hold" modes in UrT and other games).
Alternatively, there could also be an arrow indicating the direction (and maybe the distance too) of the next bank, similar to the one showing the direction to escape with the moneybag. But I would really prefer the minimap solution! Maybe we should start a new thread do discuss this...
yap
Pistolero

Postby L3th4l » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 pm

yap wrote:Do you want screenshots from a player's or a spectator's pov ("bird's eye" like)?

Either or both don't matter really. I will use the 2 you posted and the one nraven posted

To expand on Futsin and Joes Ideas. I think 6 to 8 screen shots for each map so I can group them by map name. I like that idea.. Keep em coming guys.

If you have more then 2 or 3 screenshots, zip em up and mail them to webadmin[at]smokin-guns[dot]net
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby yap » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm

L3th4l wrote:If you have more then 2 or 3 screenshots, zip em up and mail them to webadmin[at]smokin-guns[dot]net

What's your max. size for an attachment?
yap
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Joe Kari wrote:Not directly related, but most of new players just don't know where are money bag in bank robbery... I was planning to start a thread

I can see where this would be useful but at the same time I feel that these things should be discovered by the player. This idea goes way back to Wolfenstein and Doom days. I mean most maps the safe is in the building clearly marked as "Bank" :? and the second safe is kinda an easter egg. A thread shown where each safe is might be a good idea though.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 pm

yap wrote:I've just mailed some screenshots showing the first 10 maps. Maybe I can do some more...

Thank's yap, I received the SS's. Wow, that must have takin awhile. You almost gave me enough to finish it off. Your more than welcome to finish it off if you have time and I will give ya credit for the shots in the SS section.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby L3th4l » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 pm

yap wrote:What's your max. size for an attachment?

100mb
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 pm

@ yap: Hehe, in the far west, it's all a matter of rumors, someone said there is a fistfull of dollars in the Santa Fe Express so outlaws infiltrate and try to get it.
You will never carrying GPS or such technologies in the wild wild west ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Steely Gaze » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

My thoughts, if I may, on the idea of a mini-map.

Speaking as a player who had only just started playing BR over the weekend, I can safely say that once I learned there was more than one safe in the maps, I found them all easily enough.

I usually spent my time as a spectator, when I died especially, flying around the map and getting a general feel for the locations. At first I thought a map would be nice, but I soon came to the realization that there was really no need. It only takes one round or two to at least get a general idea of the layout and possible routes through a map.
Steely Gaze
Drifter

Postby zeVlad » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Joe Kari wrote:@ yap: Hehe, in the far west, it's all a matter of rumors, someone said there is a fistfull of dollars in the Santa Fe Express so outlaws infiltrate and try to get it.

I'm agree. You have to discover the safe yourself, it's more fun. And you can ask to other of your team, or even to opponents. Fair-play, guys ! :wink:
I'm the n00b... No mercy !
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:12 am

Its kinda unfair fore the guyes ho haw been playing for 5+ years or so to post Safe locations, but on the other hand i don't think that Smokin Guns have the fanbase (At the moment) to "select" the players that are a bit more Hardcore ore stubborn.
Last edited by Black Jack Ketchum on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The REAL Blackjack Ketchum
\/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_Ketchum

[R.I.P =Cowboys From Hell= Clan]
Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby yap » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 pm

L3th4l wrote:Thank's yap, I received the SS's. Wow, that must have takin awhile. You almost gave me enough to finish it off. Your more than welcome to finish it off if you have time and I will give ya credit for the shots in the SS section.

A poor gunslinger does everything for a fistful of dollars or a little bit of fame. :wink: You've got mail!
yap
Pistolero

Postby yap » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Joe Kari wrote:@ yap: Hehe, in the far west, it's all a matter of rumors, someone said there is a fistfull of dollars in the Santa Fe Express so outlaws infiltrate and try to get it.

I agree that a "modern" type of minimap (like in UrT) would not fit into a wild west scenario! But I was thinking of another type of map, more like an "old-school treasure map" where the X marks the spot :roll: I made a quick sketch so you can see what I mean:

Such a map could be brought up by pressing the corresponding button. Since it would not be visible during normal game it would not change the look&feel at all. And since it's not interactive it would be relatively easy to implement. What do you think about it?

zeVlad wrote:You have to discover the safe yourself, it's more fun. And you can ask to other of your team, or even to opponents.

Well, it CAN be fun but it can be pretty frustrating too. I am playing SG for about a half year now but still I don't know many of the safe locations and often have to search for quite a long time to find at least one. And even if you know one location that does not help you much if you are defending and the enemy constantly robs the second safe. It's pretty hard to defend a place you don't know :( Furthermore, on many maps there is no bank and the money is hidden in places that are really hard to find, especially for beginners.

Don't get me wrong, I love the BR mode (kudos to whoever had that idea) but I also think that it needs some improvements to attract more players. Playing BR with bots is currently not an option but for a good BR game you need imho at least 3 players per team...
yap
Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel