With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Crosshair options

Postby MisterX » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Considering how SG is oftentimes focused on pixel-perfect aiming over long distances, I think there should definitely be options to change the appearance of the crosshair. For example different kinds of crosshairs, like only a small dot, and possibly the ability to make the crosshair transparent.

At times it can be very difficult to spot an enemy over longer distances and still aim at him, as the crosshair is likely to cover him, partially or even completely :)
MisterX
Pistolero

Re: Crosshair options

Postby CoolHand » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 pm

MisterX wrote:Considering how SG is oftentimes focused on pixel-perfect aiming over long distances, I think there should definitely be options to change the appearance of the crosshair. For example different kinds of crosshairs, like only a small dot, and possibly the ability to make the crosshair transparent.

At times it can be very difficult to spot an enemy over longer distances and still aim at him, as the crosshair is likely to cover him, partially or even completely :)

Seconded!
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby nraven » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 pm

yesh +1 for crosshair choices :)
nraven
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:37 am

Yes, this is something we have wanted for a long time. But we put it off in favor of more important things. Do any of you guys have any talent for this sort of thing? We are hoping that some folks might help out with stuff like this.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby CoolHand » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:46 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Yes, this is something we have wanted for a long time. But we put it off in favor of more important things. Do any of you guys have any talent for this sort of thing? We are hoping that some folks might help out with stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I do not :(
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby Hideous » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Depends on what you actually mean. There's code for switching the crosshair in the original Q3 aint there?
Hideous
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Would need someone to make nice looking xhair images.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby CoolHand » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:07 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Would need someone to make nice looking xhair images.

Oh.... I do ok with the gimp.... Would they just need to be transparent png's or something? what size? would they need to have 'red' versions for when teammate is in the sight?
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby Hideous » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:38 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Would need someone to make nice looking xhair images.

Ah, that I can do.
Hideous
Drifter

Postby MisterX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Judging from the sg_pak0.pk3\hud\crosshair.tga it needs to be nothing more than a white crosshair on a transparent background with a size of 35x35.
But how is it aligned? Is the center of the image, so to say the pixel at 18x18, automatically in the center of the screen?

I suppose the black outline of the crosshair is not mandatory, is it?
And Is it possible for you to add options for colour and transparency of the crosshair?
In that case I'd prefer using nothing more than a single white pixel for a crosshair, or a semi-transparent one with a black outline :)

Well, I could also do some, should be rather easy.
MisterX
Pistolero

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Judging from the sg_pak0.pk3\hud\crosshair.tga it needs to be nothing more than a white crosshair on a transparent background with a size of 35x35.

35x35 ? Ugh... Another bad-sized image...
Make it 32x32 since all textures must be a power of 2 sized.
Save it as a TGA.
Only black and white with alpha channel.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby MisterX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Joe Kari wrote:

35x35 ? Ugh... Another bad-sized image...
Make it 32x32 since all textures must be a power of 2 sized.
Save it as a TGA.
Only black and white with alpha channel.

Will it then still be centered properly, without a clear "center pixel"?
MisterX
Pistolero

Postby L3th4l » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 pm

It seems ICI changed where the crosshairs were stored and the ability to select different ones.

In Quake3 they are in the gfx/2d folder and lettered "a" through "j" (ex. crosshaira.tga, crosshairb.tga). In quake3 you can select the crosshairs from the game options menu or type /cg_drawcrosshair x (x is 1 through 10) in the console

SG on the other hand has the crosshair stored in the hud folder and the ability to cycle through different one was removed. /cg_drawcrosshair does not work.

I have made a set of xhairs. This zip contains 2 of them, a dot and a star.
Use one or the other pk3 but not both (remove the pk3 to play online.)

LMK what type of xhairs you like and I can make em.

We should really consider going back to the method Q3 uses for the xhairs. Then we can have all the favorites and be able to cycle them..

sg_crosshairs.zip

-------------
Last edited by L3th4l on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby L3th4l » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:14 pm

MisterX wrote:Will it then still be centered properly, without a clear "center pixel"?

The crosshiar TGA is 64x64. You offset your xhair image by 1x1 pixel from top and left. The engine compensates for this and centers the xhair. If you do not center your image off 1x1 pixel it will be off in game..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby mLy! » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Yes we really need a simple dot crosshair.

I don't really care about colours or transparancy.
Just a simple white dot would be much better!
Like the crosshair now, but withouth the cross around it.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel