With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Teammate Markers

Postby dbozan99 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:24 am

I have a suggestion, know who your teammates are and where they are without having to aim at them.

An arrow or other symbol would work...Something like halo does....

This would make things a bit simpler when playing with teams.
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Ugly » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Open Arena does something similar too. Problem with this is it detracts from the ambience.

You can always turn on force player models and then its very easy to tell who's on which side, of not who they actually are.
Ugly
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:39 pm

We were thininking about another set of player skins for team games. Something easier to distinguish.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby CoolHand » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:10 am

Seems like it comes down to an issue of realism vs. playability...
Friendly fire is a fact of all war, and definitely in cowboy vs. cowboy fights.... Of course, they have the advantage of hanging out with their parders all the time, sometimes for months or years... Here in the game, you're just thrown into the mix with them, and sometimes they look identical to your enemies (which isn't realistic)...
Some sort of marker would definitely help playabilty. However, a wider selection of models, and a rule in multiplayer that a model could only be used once might help solve some of the issue while maintaing some realism...

:|
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby dbozan99 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:38 am

Or, instead of markers, or new models or such, you can just darken/lighten the skins depending on what team your on or have a specific color scheme for each team.

perhaps Blacks and Dark browns for one team and Gray and Light browns for the other.... or something to that effect...
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 am

you can always force models until a solution is implemented:

/set cg_forceModel "wq3_male2"
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 am

[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/19_force_1.jpg][timg]19_force_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby yap » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 am

dbozan99 wrote:Or, instead of markers, or new models or such, you can just darken/lighten the skins depending on what team your on or have a specific color scheme for each team.

What about differently colored hats? All models have hats (as every real cowboy does :wink:), so it would be just of matter of changing the texture for team based games. But don't forget to ask Redhat for permission first :D
yap
Pistolero

Postby CoolHand » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:49 pm

yap wrote:
dbozan99 wrote:Or, instead of markers, or new models or such, you can just darken/lighten the skins depending on what team your on or have a specific color scheme for each team.

What about differently colored hats? All models have hats (as every real cowboy does :wink:), so it would be just of matter of changing the texture for team based games. But don't forget to ask Redhat for permission first :D

Ahhh, the classic "white hats" vs. "black hats"....
Me likey :)
CoolHand
Pistolero

Postby dowoshek » Wed May 20, 2009 12:02 pm

yap wrote:What about differently colored hats? All models have hats (as every real cowboy does :wink:), so it would be just of matter of changing the texture for team based games. But don't forget to ask Redhat for permission first :D

Good idea - black and light brown hats should solve the problem.
BTW, the red cross that is used now is capricious - sometimes doesn't show when should (but it may be because of my poor hardware).
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 pm

radar ain't really western-like
seeing arrows through walls ain't really western-like

having a few different colortypes of the default-models would be nice (ranging from brown over grey to black [and probably white] -- i think having colors like red/green/yellow would be a bad idea)

it would also be nice to be able to set enemymodels/skins and teammodels/skins with a variable

to summarize:
having a few more skins with different colortypes (brown over grey to black, and maybe even white) and making it possible to set enemymodel/skin and teammodel/skin would do the trick imo

---

probably it would also be nice to be able to add locations to the game, so that someone who talks in teamchat would appear like this: -nox-Thot (bank): HELP ME
the cyan text would be the talking player's current location which is just added by the server behind his nick

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed May 20, 2009 9:02 pm

I really like the black hat, light brown hat idea. You'd know at a glance. The level of many players now is such that by the time you check for the red X, you may be dead. Reflexes are faster than the red X! :)
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby SmokeyBacon » Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Been discussing it in a few games, it seems that the red cross doesn't appear on heads. I haven't tested it in a non-competitive game, but teammates have killed me, and I have killed them, on numerous occasions with headshots when the cross hasn't appeared!
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu May 21, 2009 2:53 am

SmokeyBacon wrote:Been discussing it in a few games, it seems that the red cross doesn't appear on heads. I haven't tested it in a non-competitive game, but teammates have killed me, and I have killed them, on numerous occasions with headshots when the cross hasn't appeared!

i think it may have also happened to me sometime when i pointed at the body from a great distance... or maybe the crosshairs thot i was pointing at the head even tho it looked like it was the body? 0_0 lol

the only problem with hats is over long distances one may not be able to tell what color hat it is for sure....
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:the only problem with hats is over long distances one may not be able to tell what color hat it is for sure....

That's a point for realism - just like in live. OTOH it'd not be fair for players using old hardware with lower resolution and less details (like me ;) ), but for them there could be still an option of using the red cross additionaly.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel