With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Monster Browser improvements

Postby torhu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Some people can't get all the servers to show up in MB. I've made some experimental changes that I hope will help. I should have done this a long time ago, sorry folks. :roll:

Download Monster Browser revision 617. This is just the executable, so drop it into your MB install, replacing the old exe file.

The 'Get new list' and 'Refresh list' buttons have been renamed to 'Check for new servers' and 'Refresh all', respectively. Here's whats new:

1) 'Check for new servers' will get a new list from the master server, and then query only the servers that are new. So it won't requery the whole list of about 2000 servers. That's a lot faster, and more useful than the old behavior.

2) 'Refresh all' works like before, except that it will include servers for which the mod name is unknown. That way you're less likely to lose servers that timed out the first time, but you still might be interested in. After two failed attempts, a server will be discarded.

3) A new setting called "Number of servers to query simultaneously" was added. If you think you get more timeouts than you should, lowering this to say, 10, might help.

I hope some of you will want to test this new version, and let me know how it works out for you. It's still a work in progress, and suggestions are welcome. :)

EDIT: PS. The new MB won't read the old server list files, it uses a new file format. So on first run, it'll have to retrieve a new list and query all 2000 servers.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Seems to work. No troubles to report. I didn't have any troubles with the old one either.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Kouma » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Works fine in this WinXP SP3 notebook. That was a nice addon, the check for new servers only. Since I hate to check for all the same servers again, I must thank you for that. :)
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby moRtem » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:20 pm

works fine for me too (just like the previous version)

thanks for the update :: really useful addons :-)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Hellrider » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Works fine for me ,too. (Vista 64 Ultimate)

Thanks for updating it :)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 am

Be nice if it could remember window position.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :)

I'll add your suggestion to the todo list, sparcdr.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: Monster Browser improvements

Postby torhu » Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 pm

torhu wrote:1) 'Check for new servers' will get a new list from the master server, and then query only the servers that are new. So it won't requery the whole list of about 2000 servers. That's a lot faster, and more useful than the old behavior.

There's one thing I didn't think of. If you don't requery all servers, you can never know if they've switched to a different mod. So this feature has to go, and only servers that are known to run the right mod will be skipped. :(

It's still a lot better than before, though. 8)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Den arbeider god!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel