With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

A Steampunk Conversion?

Postby Darkweaver » Sat May 16, 2009 12:46 pm

not certain which subforum this would go best in, so please move it if this is the wrong place

anyway, i love Quake III, and Smokin' Guns, and also love the Steampunk Aesthetic, I'm thinking about messing with the quake III source code to work on my own conversion.

only problem is, i don't know much about coding, although i want to learn, i think that to make this game as best as i can, i should stick with what i know (3d modelling, texturing, etc)

so, my question is, would anyone here be interested n helping me with this? preferably by helping with the coding side, as maps, characters, etc can be covered by me.

i am aiming to work on this over summer (since im at college, i have a 10 week summer break, so im hoping to get something done during that time) although it would be awesome if i could get a start on this beforehand
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat May 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Sounds pretty ambitious! :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Sun May 17, 2009 9:27 pm

haha, thanks! :D

i hope someone who knows how to code does help with this, because i fear for the results if i built it while learning the code, :oops:
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby /dev/random » Sun May 17, 2009 10:24 pm

What changes to the code do you have in mind?
Wouldn't the "mod" work if you only replace textures, create maps and models etc.?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby DeUgli » Sun May 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Darkweaver wrote:i hope someone who knows how to code does help with this, because i fear for the results if i built it while learning the code, :oops:
On the other hand, there is no better way to learn a new skill than by building an actual project. And you'd have the source to work with, so you wouldn't be starting from scratch.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Darkweaver » Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 am

well, what i was after was a standalone mod, ala Smokin' Guns, Urban Terror, Gundam Universe, etc... that way, i could use a seperate weapon system similar to that of Urban Terror (choosing guns before a match, on a almost full screen menu, and having limited weapon space)

hmm... i guess what i want is to have a mashup of:
Smokin' Guns style gameplay (reloading, etc)
Urban Terror's weapon menu
a Steampunk victorian england setting

also, the only other problem with using new models for existing code, is that i cant read the code yet... so i wouldnt know where to replace code for new models, maps, etc...
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby Redwing » Tue May 19, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm afraid all I can offer is the assurance that I would be a huge fan if you complete this project.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Tue May 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Mashup sounds good, i.e. you can copy existing code :D
Maybe you should also ask in other Quake related forums. You should also define your "needs" for the game, like you did in your previous post, so coders know what they'd have to do.

I might give some tipps, but I'm afraid I can't help more than that.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Darkweaver » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 pm

so, no one would mind if i just got someone to mash code together?

only new coding i can think of would be for replacing what menu's do (aka, choosing a gun in the weapons select menu would give you that gun, instead of an Klashnikov AK47 (urban terror) :D

hmm... still, anyone up for helping? :?
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel