With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Hello and a few questions.

Postby FisherofMen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Howdy Folks!

I am new to the game(just a couple of days) but really enjoy it. You may have seen me running around lost as Fishman recently.

I was reading through the forums and noticed "Rawhide" mentioned a few times so I decided to play on that server. Does the SG community officially sponsor or run any particular servers?

I ask because I ran into several issues yesterday.

1) Is there a noob friendly server I should be playing on? It was Bank Robbery, I was the lone player left alive on my team but was clueless as to where to go. Instead of helping me, the spectators decided to call a vote to kick me!?!?! It did not pass.

2) We had several TKers last night, very frustrating. It took 20 minutes before all the vote kicking sorted it self out and we could finally play the game. But afterwards it was a constant vote to change the map. When it didnt pass players would just keep calling the same vote over and over.

I am an FPS veteran so I can shoot some, but am truly clueless on the maps and especially what my role should be in a team situation. Can you recommend a place to play and learn?

Thanks,
Fish
FisherofMen
Drifter

Re: Hello and a few questions.

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 pm

FisherofMen wrote:Howdy Folks!

I am new to the game(just a couple of days) but really enjoy it. You may have seen me running around lost as Fishman recently.

I was reading through the forums and noticed "Rawhide" mentioned a few times so I decided to play on that server. Does the SG community officially sponsor or run any particular servers?

I ask because I ran into several issues yesterday.

1) Is there a noob friendly server I should be playing on? It was Bank Robbery, I was the lone player left alive on my team but was clueless as to where to go. Instead of helping me, the spectators decided to call a vote to kick me!?!?! It did not pass.

2) We had several TKers last night, very frustrating. It took 20 minutes before all the vote kicking sorted it self out and we could finally play the game. But afterwards it was a constant vote to change the map. When it didnt pass players would just keep calling the same vote over and over.

I am an FPS veteran so I can shoot some, but am truly clueless on the maps and especially what my role should be in a team situation. Can you recommend a place to play and learn?

Thanks,
Fish

hey Fishman! welcome to the game and the forum!
so anyway i dont think there is a certain server for any game that is completely noob friendly :P i think it mostly depends on who u play with :) so well i would say come on my server but i havent been able to get it up yet :| haha but if im on u could definitely play with me if u like. :D im pretty noob friendly if people ask for help xD if they dont haha and they run around and act like they know stuff then i shoot them up! :D so yah search for Sucalakafufu next time ur on :)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Rawhide is the old standard server in the USA, and countless great games are played there. Others are great too, of course, depending a lot on ping, etc. With the large number of new players however, you can run into all kinds of games, including the ones like you mentioned that spend most of their time messing around and not playing. You'll catch on soon to all the names of the pros, noobs, steady players, whiners and cheats. But don't worry about not doing your part in a game. You may take a beating for a while, but you'll catch on fast. There are many good amigos that are always willing to help you get going. It's supposed to be fun! :D
viewtopic.php?t=1314
This is a cool guide Pardner worked up.
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 am

Welcome Fishman! I run RAWHIDE but haven't had much time in recent weeks to play. Stupid behaviour usually disappears when I'm on the server, so it's hard for me to rule with an iron fist. Anyway, I suggest you have fun in deathmatch or team deathmatch for now. Maybe try spectating during br games untill you start to learn your way around?

By the way, many of us with a Windows OS like to use MonsterBrowser to find games. Very handy tool.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Re: Hello and a few questions.

Postby DeUgli » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 am

FisherofMen wrote: It was Bank Robbery, I was the lone player left alive on my team but was clueless as to where to go. Instead of helping me, the spectators decided to call a vote to kick me!?!?!
You might want to spectate during bank robbery play, so that you can see the players going for the money, and find out how the map works. Otherwise, the other players may become frustrated with you.

Another way to do it is to go into the bank robbery maps in single player mode on your home machine, and figure out everything before getting on a server. Should make it easier for all.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Lucky Bro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Fish,

I started to learn SG at Baller Bude, very nice server to learn movement&tactics in terms of SG physics. At least it was so. And I helped some of newcomers (think now they are tough ones) there too. So, check this one if you interested in SG physics. Concerning BR mode - seems only Jeux and Cops&Robbers are the only possibilities nowadays. Someday SG will have more BR servers for sure :)

And I'll say the following just before some friends (hi, moRtem ;)) will:
Feel free to join join SG IRC at the following channels to find opponents and friends:
moRtem wrote:#smokinguns @ freenode --- official smokin-guns channel
#q3.nox @ quakenet --- nox clan's channel (only a few of us play SG)
#sg.wars @ quakenet --- mS clan's & clam wars channel

You may find IRC tutorial here

And about spectating.. as I usually like to quote:
Tyler wrote:If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight

You came to play, not to watch :)
Learn in action. There is not much to learn, so don't waste too much time by watching especially if you want to play.

Good luck and have fun!
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby FisherofMen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

I did some playing and spectating last night and am figuring out a few things. It helps that my 12 year old son has also been playing during the day while I am at work, so he gives me pointers. :)

See you guys on the frontier!
FisherofMen
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:And I'll say the following just before some friends (hi, moRtem ;)) will:
Feel free to join join SG IRC at the following channels to find opponents and friends:
moRtem wrote:#smokinguns @ freenode --- official smokin-guns channel
#q3.nox @ quakenet --- nox clan's channel (only a few of us play SG)
#sg.wars @ quakenet --- mS clan's & clam wars channel

You may find IRC tutorial here

hih -- good boy! :-)

but an update on my quotation: we got a couple of nox-members playing SG by now :-)

There is not much to learn, so don't waste too much time by watching especially if you want to play.

i basically wouldn't fully agree -- but since you'll spend a lot of time as a spect anyway in BankRobbery-mode, due to dying in battle, you will have more than enough time to watch other players also when you joined a team

-

PS: i am -nox-Thot- who talked to you a few mins on the server yesterday (Rawhide)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby FisherofMen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Howdy Folks,

More noob questions :oops:

I seem to have a case of disappearing servers from the list, both in game and in Monster Browser.

I did "new list" and "refresh" several times but my list was showing up with only 2-7 servers. Is this something on my end or a natural occurrence?

Also,

As of tonight I will be setting up a second PC in the house for my son. My computer just isnt big enough for the two of us. :P Is there anything port related settings I need to do in order to play with 2 PC's from same router?

Thanks,
Fish (a.k.a. TheDuke)
FisherofMen
Drifter

Postby torhu » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Not getting all the servers could be caused by a bad connection, router, etc. For me it helps to lower the Monster Browser setting for number of servers to query simultaneously to 10.

You can check the online server list here to see how many servers there are. You can also copy the addresses from there into Monster Browser if you like.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby FisherofMen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Sweet!

Thanks! :D
FisherofMen
Drifter

Postby Lucky Bro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi Fish,

No, you don't need to configure anything in SG to play from one router online (each PC should have its own SG installed - don't launch SG from other PC). Maybe you'll need to configure your router&other net stuff, but that is other theme, right? :) Should be easy.

When we come together with my brother to our parents - we play almost the same way as you want to.

Good luck & have fun!
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 pm

FisherofMen wrote:As of tonight I will be setting up a second PC in the house for my son. Is there anything port related settings I need to do in order to play with 2 PC's from same router?

If you have problems with one (or both) computers getting disconnected while playing on the same server, at the same time, you might need to add something like +set net_port 27961 to the end of the target line of your shortcut. Then for the other pc, +set net_port 27962
But just play & see how it goes first without doing this. I'll go into more detail if you need the help.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Iirc net_port is only used for server-hosting. If playing as a client, ioQuake internally choses a random so called qport. So there's no need to setup anything, if firewalls aren't too restrictive.

If servers disappear from the ingame serverlist, maybe it's because they ping too high. Try to increase cl_maxping until you see some more of them ;)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel