With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby DeUgli » Mon May 21, 2007 2:24 am

Torhu, I just want to thank you for writing Monster Browser. It is really fast and simple to use, as good software should be.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Clintstone » Sun May 27, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi torhu,

thanks for your really good app! Maybe I can give you another suggestion for you next release: Do you think that it might be possible to add the IP of your own (private) server, which is not (an shall not be) listed by the master servers? I got one of this kind running and it would be so cool just being able to join from MonsterBrowser! You know what I mean? Enter IP and PW one time, and from then on it's listed there.

Otherwise, if you don't find the time for doing it - the tool is good enough :)

Thanks again!

ClintStone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby torhu » Mon May 28, 2007 1:38 am

It's nice to hear you like it, guys! :)

I've added your suggestion to my TODO list, Clintstone. I could make it read extra servers from a file, like westernq3.lst. The format would probably be just one server's address and port per line, like 123.123.123.123:12345.

That way, you could add a whole list of servers easily. There could also be a button to add just one server, with the option to add it to the list with or without saving it to disk, or to just join the server right away.

Is this what you had in mind?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Mon May 28, 2007 12:31 pm

torhu wrote:I could make it read extra servers from a file, like westernq3.lst. The format would probably be just one server's address and port per line, like 123.123.123.123:12345.

That way, you could add a whole list of servers easily. There could also be a button to add just one server, with the option to add it to the list with or without saving it to disk, or to just join the server right away.

Is this what you had in mind?

Perfect, perfect, perfect! That's it. You really rock! Maybe you should add your name to the title bar, so everyone knows who he's got to say thanks to for so easily being able to dress his stetson! :)

Cheers from Germany,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby hika » Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 pm

I hope to see MonsterBrowser replacing my XQF one day :D
I say this because of an annoying behavior on XQF : it remove servers on the list if it is not reachable or if the ping is too high (happened when I have wireless problem).

By the way, I use MonsterBrowser when I boot on Windows.
Free, functional and simple. What else ? :D
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed May 30, 2007 4:36 am

I was able to build a cross platform version of MB a couple of weeks ago. It started, but crashed when I tried to do anything. The problem is that in order to make it cross-platform, I have to port it to three different libraries at the same time. And I have to compile with a compiler version that makes at least the windows version crash during runtime, and even a new build tool. So it's possible that it could work, but not higly tempting to spend time trying... :|

It mostly comes down the immaturety of the D compiler and tools.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Monster

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu May 31, 2007 5:07 am

My Centurytel DSL is NOT the fastest gun in the west, but your new Monster release smokes! Nice work!
Takk s? mye
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu May 31, 2007 5:25 am

Sorry to go off topic but I'm guessing that Takk s? mye is Norwegian, which translates online to Cheers as much as? Sounds strange! :lol: Thanks for continuing to support MB torhu. Those of us that use it find it very handy. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Takk

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu May 31, 2007 7:29 am

Close, Takk is "thanks" and the much part is right, so.. "thanks much" is what it's usually understood to mean in Norwegian. I'm almost half. :D
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Thu May 31, 2007 8:15 am

Bare hyggelig! ;)

(That's like 'my pleasure'.)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:56 am

Version 0.3c is out, adding Clintstone's feature for adding extra servers.

http://monsterbrowser.googlepages.com/
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 am

torhu wrote:Version 0.3c is out, adding Clintstone's feature for adding extra servers.

Thanks, torhu, really cool! Unfortunatly, it doesn't seem to work here... When I enter the address of the server, it won't shop up in the list. "Refresh list" adds the IP to a file called quake3.gsl each time I press the button, westernq3.extra contains it, too (but only once). "Not empty" and "Has humans" is not checked, btw. Reporting to the servers has been completly removed in the server.cfg. I'll write a PM to you with the IP of the server, maybe you can figure it out. Problem might be the internal firewall, but in this case even wq3 should not be able to see the server...

OK, maybe this helps you: We only can access servers inside our IP-Range, and this only when switched to "Local". Nevertheless, the server is reachable from outside the IPRange. Rats, I'll explain it to you in PM. And I still have to try it from home :wink:

Thanks anyway!

Cheers,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby hika » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:58 pm

Well, I just got a problem when using MonsterBrowser, today.
After launching the program, it wants to get new server list (first time after a fresh OS reinstall).
But then, it gets stucked on a message like "Got 1623 servers, querying...544".
"qstat.exe" is still running, so I think it might be a qstat problem, not giving feedback to MonsterBrowser.

I disabled my firewall, and the number of queried servers (544 here) is arbitrary.
I have no problem with the WQ ingame master server browser.

@torhu: if you can give me the qstat command lines, used by MonsterBrowser, I will try to reproduce the "getting new server list" manually and see if the problem persists.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:49 am

MB's handling of qstat errors is not very intelligent. It basically just waits until qstat is done, unless you run an MB command that causes qstat to be killed an restarted. Qstat has its own timeout, MB has nothing like that. I don't have access to my own machine for 3-4 weeks now, so I'll just have to point you to the source code:

http://monsterbrowser.googlecode.com/sv ... arselist.d

I think all the qstat commands are created in that file. Should be easy to figure out, I think there's only two different command lines. Also check out serverlist.d to see when each function is called. So I guess this makes it 'open source', then. :)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:25 am

After a long delay, a new version is out! Get it here. I've actually made an installer this time. 8O If you want a zip, go to the project page.

This release is mostly about visual improvements, but there are a couple of other things too. You can selected multiple servers and right click on them, which has various uses. Like refreshing just the interesting ones out of a long server list, finding a particular player, or copying IP addresses to paste them into a forum post. It also remembers your sort order, column widths, etc. between seessions.

Most changes are just internal, and they are the reason this release took so long. Unfortunately, the linux version isn't quite there yet.

Changelog:
Code: Select all
v 0.4 - 2008-07-20
------------------
- New: Colored names for servers and players
- New: Flags showing the nationality of each server.
- New: Using Windows theming makes it look better.
- New: Session state is now being saved and restored.  Sort order, filter state,
       layout and column widths.
- New: Right-click menu for servers.
- New: Select multiple servers to see the players for all of them.
- New: Better at guessing game install locations, but still pretty bad.
- New: Display an error message if the game's executable was not found when
       attempting to join a server.
- New: Added an ugly application icon.
- New: When refreshing servers or retrieving a new list, the extra servers
       are included in the total number of servers.
- New: Allow whitespace before and after address in Specify Server dialog.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel