With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Bugs : disappearing ammo and broken music

Postby yap » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 am

Howdy!

Since the SA has been released (which is otherwise great, btw ;)) , I've noticed 2 bugs that I did not see before:

1. the remaining ammo display (i.e. the bullets in the weapon, not the ammo counter) sometimes disappears. The weapon is working normally, i.e. I can shoot and reload it, but the bullets only re-appear after buying new ammo.

2. the music starts to hang after playing a while (typically after about 10-20 min.). A ~1 sec. sample is played in an infinite loop which is quite annoying. I haven't found a solution for this other than restarting. Usually I just turn off the music completely...

I'm playing SG on Ubuntu 8.10 and I thought the bugs may be Linux related but I never saw them when playing the 2.2 beta on the same system using the ioQuake Engine. So I thought that these bugs may rather be engine-related... Can somebody confirm this?
yap
Pistolero

Postby Breli » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi,

1. This is known and already fixed AFAIB by Joe Kari. To be rolled out alongside with the first patch. :D

2. Thats new. At least I haven't heard of it? Never had that although I play with music on. Does that ALWAYS happen on your machine\installation?

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby zeVlad » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 pm

I got also the music loop sometimes. On duel maps, BR maps, on different servers... I don't know exactly what are the specific conditions when it happens. Sorry for the lack of elements, it's just to confirm.
I'm the n00b... No mercy !
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby yap » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Breli wrote:Does that ALWAYS happen on your machine\installation?

Well, it happens quite often but it takes some time. Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce it so I'm afraid I can't give you more information atm...
yap
Pistolero

Postby Ugly » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 pm

I've had people's death cries repeating endlessly at one point in the map which is kind of spooky. Sounds like the entrance to hell! :evil:

The only map I get sound glitches on is backwater.
Ugly
Pistolero

Postby yap » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:51 am

Ugly wrote:I've had people's death cries repeating endlessly at one point in the map which is kind of spooky

zeVlad wrote:I got also the music loop sometimes. On duel maps, BR maps, on different servers...

What OS do you use? And, if you were using the ioQuake engine with the SG beta before, did you also have that problem?

Ugly wrote:The only map I get sound glitches on is backwater.

Does the background music (or the sound effects) really differ between the maps? If so, I've never noticed that :? Anyway, I only have this problem with the background music, the sound effects have been working fine...

I've heard that you are planning to use the ioQuake engine in the near future. Is it because of known bugs in the quake3 engine? Maybe this is one of the unkown bugs :|
yap
Pistolero

Postby zeVlad » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 am

I run on Ubuntu 8.10, and I used before the wq3 mod 2.2 on OpenArena. I hadn't this problem.
I'm the n00b... No mercy !
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:02 pm

yap wrote:I've heard that you are planning to use the ioQuake engine in the near future. Is it because of known bugs in the quake3 engine?

The IoQ3 engine is more up to date with many bug fixes & enhancements. It's also much easier to compile across many platforms. We should have fewer problems once the switch is made.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby yap » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 pm

We should have fewer problems once the switch is made.

Now that made me curious : is there such a huge difference between the interfaces of the ioQuake and Quake3 engine? After all, they have to run the same games so I thought they were 100% compatible and therefore easily exchangable (at least the ioQuake engine should be imho backwards compatible in order to run the unmodified Quake3). Obviously I was wrong... :|
yap
Pistolero

Postby sparcdr » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:11 pm

yap: look at the code on sourceforge and you'll see there's a lot of weapon physics changes and portions of code that can't just be merged into ioq3.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby yap » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:45 am

Ah, so you've modified the q3 engine for the SA version... I didn't know that. And I did not notice any changes regarding the weapons. Did the stats change too or are the values listed here still valid?
yap
Pistolero

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes, though there's some shotgun spread discussion taking place. I am just noting one area, while other components are also modified. You can download the original 2005 source release from Id Software's FTP and run a program such as WinMerge to compare files.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:26 pm

yap wrote:Now that made me curious : is there such a huge difference between the interfaces of the ioQuake and Quake3 engine? After all, they have to run the same games so I thought they were 100% compatible and therefore easily exchangable (at least the ioQuake engine should be imho backwards compatible in order to run the unmodified Quake3). Obviously I was wrong... :|

No, you are right. SG runs unmodified as an ioquake3 mod, I just swapped some lead on Rawhide using that setup. The modifications made to the SG engine are all optional features. Quake 3 has a wonderfully modular design. :)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:01 pm

Yes, sorry... you can run SG under say UrbanTerror (I believe Joe did to showcase VBO performance gains) it's just a matter of certain features that make the game yet more unique which are in-code.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby yap » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Thank you for the clarification guys!

sparcdr wrote:You can download the original 2005 source release from Id Software's FTP and run a program such as WinMerge to compare files.

Thx, but reading (and writing) source code is something I have to do every day at work so it's not me preferred spare time occupation :wink: And btw, I prefer vimdiff for file comparison (no flaming please) :D
yap
Pistolero

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel