With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Problem with Listen server in a VLAN (Hamachi)

Postby XenonFORT » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:26 am

Hi there, I'm XenonFORT, and I posted this on ModDB, I hope you guys have a solution with this trouble:

"Great game, funny and adictive xD.

I only had trouble trying to play with a friend using hamachi, the game sees to have normal ping in the gamelist, but ingame the ping grow up fast to an insane level... If someone have the same trouble with it and know any way to solve it, it whould be very appreciated. I thinked using internet server, but the game don't have that option in the main menu, and I'm not used to the Q3 Console, so I don't know if there is a way to do it manually with the console. I searched in the forums and I didn't finded a problem like this, so I thinked it was a good idea post it.

Thanks, XenonFORT."

PS: I hope this is the appropiate place for this topic, if not, please move it, and sorry for any inconvients with this ^^u.
XenonFORT
Newcomer

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:45 am

Hi XenonFORT, I don't know the answers to your problems, but I'm sure they will be solved. The growing pings sounds like adware to me. make sure you have everything not needed closed when you play. Also do a scan to get ride of any annoying adware/spyware.

For the server question, here is a link to PQ's server setup guide:
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php ... =47&game=4
The good news is that you dont have to write your own server script because there is one already included in your package. Open "server.cfg" and customize it to your liking. Then once you start Smokin' Guns, type "/exec server.cfg" in the console and it should start a nice listen server for you.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby XenonFORT » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks for your reply ^^. I don't think it is a adware/malware because it only happens in Smokin' Guns (didn't tried any other Quake 3 engine based games) and as I said, only when connecting with the one who created the server.

I will explain it with examples: I create a server, a listen one in LAN (the game didn't gave me another option) and then my friend join. The server (me in this case) didn't experience any lag, but the client who connected to the server sees his ping growed up to 500 and more, and viceversa when he create, I see his server with a decent ping (90) and when I connect it grow up to that level, only for me of course, he can play the game normally, like me when I'm the host.

As I said, I tested other games over hamachi, and didn't have this problem, so I thinked maybe hamachi's service is blocking in someway the ports used by Quake 3 Arena, but I can't prove this becuase I don't know how to create a internet listen server to test it.

I hope this information can help you with the fix to this problem, see you ^^.

PS: I use Avira Anti-Vir and Zone-Alarm, but since he didn't use any firewall/antivirus and we still have the same problem I think they aren't interfering in anything. Anyway I will try it without them.

Also I noticed that our skype conversation get cancelled after connecting to the server and trying to play a bit, maybe the conection get satured or something, waiting for your point of view ^^.
XenonFORT
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:48 am

I don't know anything about hamachi, but you should be able to run a dedicated server. Here's how I would do it on my Windows XP pc. Create a new shortcut to smokinguns.exe, right click on the shortcut & select properties, then add the following (in bold) to the target line. (Make sure to include the spaces.)

"C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +com_hunkMegs 64 +exec server.cfg

Then you just launch the server with this shortcut. Try it without hamachi just to see if the ping trouble goes away. If it does, then you'll need to post your problem at a hamachi forum.

PS. Overloading your home server with too many bots or players will cause the ping to climb.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Re: Problem with Listen server in a VLAN (Hamachi)

Postby Khata Nahi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:28 pm

XenonFORT wrote:Hi there, I'm XenonFORT, and I posted this on ModDB, I hope you guys have a solution with this trouble:

"Great game, funny and adictive xD.

I only had trouble trying to play with a friend using hamachi, the game sees to have normal ping in the gamelist, but ingame the ping grow up fast to an insane level... If someone have the same trouble with it and know any way to solve it, it whould be very appreciated. I thinked using internet server, but the game don't have that option in the main menu, and I'm not used to the Q3 Console, so I don't know if there is a way to do it manually with the console. I searched in the forums and I didn't finded a problem like this, so I thinked it was a good idea post it.

Thanks, XenonFORT."

PS: I hope this is the appropiate place for this topic, if not, please move it, and sorry for any inconvients with this ^^u.

I don't know the solutions to your issues, but I'm sure they will be fixed. The increasing pings appears to be like malware to me. create sure you have everything not required shut when you perform. Also do a check out to get drive of any frustrating adware/spyware.
Khata Nahi
Newcomer

Postby Biondo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 am

Fun. A late reply to a message dated 12 Jan 2009 almost identical to Pardner's answer. Only grammatically incorrect, like if Pardner's message had been translated by Google into another language and then back to English again.

Pardner wrote:Hi XenonFORT, I don't know the answers to your problems, but I'm sure they will be solved. The growing pings sounds like adware to me. make sure you have everything not needed closed when you play. Also do a scan to get ride of any annoying adware/spyware.

Khata Nahi wrote:I don't know the solutions to your issues, but I'm sure they will be fixed. The increasing pings appears to be like malware to me. create sure you have everything not required shut when you perform. Also do a check out to get drive of any frustrating adware/spyware.

Is it spam?
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Barto » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:30 am

Nice Biondo, there is definitely something weird about it. I have never seen that kind of forum-plagiarism 8)

What I know about the difference between LAN and Internet is that in LAN, the rate value is forced to something high (don't remember which value there) which may, in some case be too much for a small Internet connection.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Pardner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow, did I really write that? My post even sounds like spam.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 am

Can't wait to see if he'll edit his post to add a link, I love to nuke spammers :twisted:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:19 am

BTW, there's something strange in email notifications from this site, lately. I subscribed to this topic, but I'm not getting email notifications. Anyone else with the same problem?

EDIT: Solved. They have arrived at the end.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel