With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Solution for too dark game (1.1b4)

Postby Riotta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Hello, I'm fairly new to Smokin' Guns (1.1b4) but I have expirience in ioQ3 engine based games, so I wanted to give the game a shot, and then I notice that the game is very dark and I actually can't do nothing inside game to change its brightness. Sliders didn't work and commands such as r_gamma and r_ignorehwgamma (which was usual workaround for such situations also not fix things. After some testing involving few hints on your irc channel #smokinguns on freenode, chatting with friendly lads Pardner, Tequilla I have notice that in window mode the gamma seems to work fine so one of the guys pointed me to try override SDL color mode by using export SDL_VIDEO_X11_NODIRECTCOLOR=1 command as I use Linux system. But that actually worked for me only once, then stopped. After more hour of searching and testing I found answer and possible ultimate solution for not working gamma setting in latest beta of Smokin' Guns. The solution is one command inside the game:

Code: Select all
r_overBrightBits 0

I found the solution in SDL library bugzilla, it works even that I use Xorg 1.9 and probably it should work on other systems aswell, as I heard one guy on IRC had this problem with vista. I hope this will help newcomers like me to fix this flaw.
Riotta
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:19 pm

:D
Thanks a lot Riotta for your investigations.

I'll try to put an UI option for this cvar in the next release.

As discussed more other IRC, to concerned people, remember to restart video with at least vid_restart command or from the UI to be sure cvars are applied.
Remember also to check the values of r_intensity and r_gamma cvars.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Re: Solution for too dark game (1.1b4)

Postby Pardner » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Riotta wrote:
r_overBrightBits 0

Well I'll be..... it fixed my darkness problem in Vista as well. The sliders worked in Vista and r_gamma worked as well, but the game always started dark. I had a bind set up to change the gamma, but not I don't need to! Thanks Riotta for your help.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Riotta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Good for you, I'm happy that it's working on other operating systems too.
Riotta
Newcomer

Postby Biondo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:03 pm

For me (in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" 32bit) this doesn't work, sorry. :(
There's a thread here too: viewtopic.php?p=18378#18378
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby moRtem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm

usually "r_ignorehwgamma 1" should fix this issue, which is part of q3 since 1999

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Biondo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:36 pm

usually "r_ignorehwgamma 1" should fix this issue,

Thank you moRtem, but no, for me it didn't work.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Riotta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm

As I saw in the other thread you are using Intel graphics card it might not give any effect cause there can be some bug within the drivers. I personally use ATI Radeon card and it worked for me with the closed source driver. Maybe try upgrading the driver, if you are using Ubuntu distribution try using the Xorg-Edgers PPA repository which has always up-to-date video driver for Ubuntu distributions. Good Luck!

PS. Try r_fullscreen 0 command and then use vid_restart and tell us is it change something for you, do you see any difference (set r_ignorehwgamma to 0 first)?
Riotta
Newcomer

Postby Biondo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Thank you Riotta.

Yes I tested SG 1.1b4 with Intel graphics and I got the known problems.
That is not the PC where I play and I don't want to install unstable graphic driver there.

Now I'm testing it on my home PC, with a Nvidia graphic card, and I don't experiment those problems. I had only to set
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"
seta r_overBrightBits "0"
in q3config.cfg.

Thank you.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel