With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Please help.

Postby Marcello » Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 pm

I didn't play the game for almost 6 months,I got a major problem.
So when I enter the game and go Multiplayer,there are no servers.
Even if I Refresh or Find new servers,still no servers pop out..what should I do..? I can't play.. Answer please,thanks.
Sincelery,
Marcello :twisted:
Marcello
Drifter

Re: Please help.

Postby Barto » Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi and welcome back :-)

Let's be methodical:
  • Do you have the 1.1 version?
  • Have you made an exception for the game in your firewall if you are on windows?
  • In the console do you have the variable sv_master1 set to "master.smokin-guns.org"?
  • Aren't you confusing the Source tabs with something like Local, Favorites or Internet<number>? (it should be "Internet")
  • Are you enough patient to get the server info?
  • Ensure that "View Empty" or "View Full" are both checked as "yes" and that "Type" is set to "All".
  • Do you have a reliable connection? (sometimes having a high ping might timeout the server listing process)

If nothing above works, you still can use some 3rd party programs like MonsterBrowser (windows) or XQF (linux).
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Marcello » Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I got an old version used like 5 months ago,I need to download 1.1? It takes ages to download but ok,
thanks for your help,see you soon.
Sincelery,
Marcello
Marcello
Drifter

Postby Barto » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm

If you are using the old 1.0, you need to upgrade to v1.1 to be able to play. You will need to download the game again, it's 400 Mo to download I know but there are no other way nowadays... I'm sorry about it but binaries and maps got updated anyway.

Nowadays' download managers have the possibility to pause and restart downloads, I suppose you can use this feature for sg setup file. If not, there is still a torrent for that matter...
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Marcello » Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 pm

So I started downloading but instead of 400MB it stoped at 56MB and called it an setup. of Sg.
I clicked on it in Downloads and Run.
It says "The setup files are corrupted.Please obtain a new copy of the program"
Can you explain me? Thanks.
Sincelery,
Marcello |D
Marcello
Drifter

Postby Barto » Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh, it seems that you got a connection cut after 56Mo of download :-| So it's logic that the file is incomplete and the game couldn't be installed. I just checked if there was a host-problem (http://download.smokin-guns.org/Smokin_Guns_1.1.exe) but it seems not.
What should you do? Either try to continue your download from where it hung or restarting the whole download :-(
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Marcello » Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Dam..I keep trying.
Thanks.
Marcello
Drifter

Postby Wiskey » Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Your browser's built-in download manager is not very good for downloading large files, so it is better to use an external download manager like Orbit Downloader, if you are using Windows.
Wiskey
Drifter

Postby Barto » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey Wiskey, it has been a long time I haven't seen you leaning on the counter! :twisted:

Nice tips but I just want to complete you remark (don't be mad about it, it's just some perfectionism :mrgreen: )

Instead of an external http download manager, you could also simply use the torrent (with utorrent, transmission, ...) provided in the download section, they are a lot of file-integrity checks here. So you are sure you won't have any file corruption there.

For a good download manager on linux, there is the classic wget (with -c) or kget (provided in the KDE desktop environment).

But most of nowadays browsers have a good download manager already there. I'm still surprised about that issue.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Wiskey » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Barto wrote:Hey Wiskey, it has been a long time I haven't seen you leaning on the counter! :twisted:

Nice tips but I just want to complete you remark (don't be mad about it, it's just some perfectionism :mrgreen: )

Instead of an external http download manager, you could also simply use the torrent (with utorrent, transmission, ...) provided in the download section, they are a lot of file-integrity checks here. So you are sure you won't have any file corruption there.

For a good download manager on linux, there is the classic wget (with -c) or kget (provided in the KDE desktop environment).

But most of nowadays browsers have a good download manager already there. I'm still surprised about that issue.

But the torrent requires that must be seeders 24 \ 7, otherwise the download is not successful. Is there any function in those sites which distribute 24 \ 7, even though the downloaders had already removed the torrent?

You're right, nowadays browsers download management programs have already pretty good, but still has a chance that the download is unsuccessful, for example, Chrome does not able to resume the download if the connection is disconnectedor becomes someone else problem.

And Barto, I use this site only when I have problem or I want spend time, so I log in very rarely.
Wiskey
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Fri May 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Wiskey wrote:But the torrent requires that must be seeders 24 \ 7, otherwise the download is not successful. Is there any function in those sites which distribute 24 \ 7, even though the downloaders had already removed the torrent?

gameupdates.org provides some voluntary seeders (though they are also based somewhat on popularity of the torrent).
Currently there's only the old v1.0+v1.4b version available, but I might upload v1.1 lateron. The only minus point is that they use their own tracker, thus splitting the swarm. I think Tequila (?) already has a seeding server for those torrents listed in SG downloads.

Edit: Apparently no one is really seeding the official torrent right now, see SG bittorrent stats.
Edit 2: I've added Smokin' Guns v1.1 OS independent archive on gameupdates.org.

Wiskey wrote:You're right, nowadays browsers download management programs have already pretty good, but still has a chance that the download is unsuccessful, for example, Chrome does not able to resume the download if the connection is disconnectedor becomes someone else problem.

The ability to resume downloads also depends on the server, see Wikipedia on Byte serving.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Fri May 03, 2013 6:35 pm

/dev/random wrote:Edit: Apparently no one is really seeding the official torrent right now, see SG bittorrent stats.

I do and I uploaded around 5.23Go between the .zip and .exe files (I don't have a fast upload speed at all) :-) Tequila may seed it too via his server.

/dev/random wrote:Edit 2: I've added Smokin' Guns v1.1 OS independent archive on gameupdates.org.

Cool, can you specify that these files are already on another tracker?

/dev/random wrote:The ability to resume downloads also depends on the server, see Wikipedia on Byte serving.

I just tested this feature for the .zip installer through a small `wget -c`, it wonderfully works there.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby /dev/random » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Barto wrote:
/dev/random wrote:I've added Smokin' Guns v1.1 OS independent archive on gameupdates.org.
Cool, can you specify that these files are already on another tracker?

I've added a note about the official torrent and linked to the SG downloads page.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 pm

I feel stupid, but I can't get SG in-game server list working after I upgraded my PC OS to the latest version (Ubuntu 13.10, x86_64 GNU/Linux). In my q3config.cfg I have the line 'seta sv_master1 "master.smokin-guns.org"'. I disabled the firewall, I waited and waited... but nothing.

I'm able to connect to Baller Bude writing in console "\connect 212.65.13.87". I can use qstat commandline, but no in-game list. I can't install SG's most recent .deb... In the meantime XQF freezes my mouse...
All in all the whole thing is stressing me :)

Any idea?
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 am

Biondo wrote:Any idea?

Of course, I want to help you. But I need precise information for that.

Did you change your Smokin'Guns installation, e.g. did you re-install it? Or was it left untouched? If you still got a copy of your original installation and user files, could you try to run it?

Why aren't you able to install the most recent .deb?

Can you ping master.smokin-guns.org?

Does qstat -q3m master.smokin-guns.org give you
ADDRESS PLAYERS MAP RESPONSE TIME NAME
Q3M master.smokin-guns.org 12 servers 27 / 0
Q3S 91.121.74.167:27971 9/16 br_durango 26 / 0 smokinguns Jeuxlinux.fr - v1.1 - Enable auto download
Q3S 91.121.39.115:27971 0/12 dm_tillian 33 / 0 smokinguns smokin-guns.org-MIXED
Q3S 212.65.13.87:27960 5/20 dm_station 22 / 0 smokinguns SG1.1+download Baller Bude
Q3S 62.75.219.83:27960 3/12 dm_train 35 / 0 smokinguns Space of Legends.de
Q3S 91.121.39.115:27975 0/14 br_durango 31 / 0 smokinguns #sg.wars private server -Provided by Tequila
Q3S 81.169.129.253:27960 6/20 br_durango 19 / 0 smokinguns Blaue Bohnen
Q3S 91.121.39.115:27970 2/12 br_durango 28 / 0 smokinguns smokin-guns.org-BR
Q3S 108.0.220.24:27960 2/16 dm_alamo_2 190 / 0 smokinguns dbo's Botless Rampage!
Q3S 108.178.55.71:27960 4/16 dm_sancuchillo 123 / 0 smokinguns RAWHIDE 1.1
Q3S 108.178.55.2:27969 4/12 br_newtown 122 / 0 smokinguns EscapedTurkey.com Chicago
Q3S 181.41.194.123:27960 3/50 dm_newtown 251 / 0 smokinguns sertCo baiano
Q3S 122.59.187.88:56366 4/ 6 dm_dry 387 / 0 smokinguns Kiwi Ranch
?

What is the complete console output of Smokin'Guns if you start it and query the game servers?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel