With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

WQ3 Movies?

Postby EvilFutsin » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:48 pm

Okay, I didn't quite know where to put this (either here or editting - mods/admins, please move to wherever it should go), so hopefully I didn't just make an ass of myself. :P

I'm looking into the idea of making a machinima movie in Western Q3, and was asking for a few things. One of them is permission to do it (wouldn't wanna use a mod without the mod-makers' permission), the other is "anyone interested?"

I currently have a script written, which takes place in br_santacruz with maybe one or two shots in another map (dunno which, I'll have to look to see which one would be fitting for that shot). The only main thing I need from the WQ3 community is simply - people to help out by "Acting out" the scenes. The biggest shot, I think, would only have about 6 people, though it's great to have others around in case people are busy.

The other major thing I would find of great benefit, though, is a server for filming, where cheats and such can be enabled.

If you're unfamiliar with the way machinima is done, I suggest you head on over here and get edumacated. ;) Primarily, for Quake 3, it's just that it's done like a real movie (in some ways). You setup the shot, have actors who play out the scene, it's filmed, then cut to avi format for editting and final output.

Aaanyways. I've blabbered long enough and probably embarrassed myself (d'oh!) terribly, so I'm just gonna go. Great work on the mod, BTW, though you may wanna work on some animations and the speed of movement. That's about all I could find wrong with it. *ahem* Right, gone now. Bye. Please answer my Qs if you can. Thanks in advance for any help given. :D
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby dolny » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:18 pm

I'm interested. I always wanted to be an actor :wink: I think that Dead Kennedy's clan - HOLD - would be able to turn the cheats on for the short period of time. Talk to D.K :)
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby DeadKennedy » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:44 pm

nice idea!
i also would like to be an actor in your movie ;)

and i think we can turn on cheats and so on on our server for the movie.
DeadKennedy
Iron Claw

Postby EvilFutsin » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:39 am

Wow, good, that's great to hear. Two people's good. I can get a lot with two people. Heh.

Though, sadly, as I wrote that message when I was 1/3 asleep, I forgot about two important things about the server. First of all is also to keep the timelimit (and round time) off for awhile on the map so we can get as much filming done in a single round as possible. That's probably not much a biggy, though. The other major thing is probably a biggy, though. Timescale. Timescale, as you may or may not know, is used for slowmotion and speeding down the game. When I was working on another Q3 movie (using Reaction Q3 - sadly that proj. fell apart :/), I found using Timescale was REALLY helpful for action scenes, for timing. The catch is that sometimes, from what I've seen, after you've turned it back to normal on the server, there may be a bit of a speed "increase" on the server, unless it's restarted. So...I'm not sure you'll be cool on that. It's not 100% required, but sure would make things a bit easier. :P

Oh yeah, where IS this server, anyway?

Anyways, glad to see some (if little) interest. Thanks. :)

And err, I forgot to mention that one requirement of being able to be an actor is reading the script. Sorry. Hope you don't mind that. It's a pretty easy-to-read script if you know the geography of br_santacruz. ;)

Uh...so...that's all. Again, thanks for the interest. Encouragement. Whatever. :D
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ZAAN » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:44 pm

I'm also intrested in being an actor :)
ZAAN
Drifter

Postby DeadKennedy » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:57 pm

well, i think i know the geography of br_santacruz...since i made it ;)

the hold server ip is: 217.172.178.164:27960
but we switch between Urban Terror and Westernq3

ah! and i have to say that i'm on holiday for 1 week now
DeadKennedy
Iron Claw

Postby EvilFutsin » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:26 am

Uhm....eek. Being an American from Oregon, I ping at about 165-280ms to that server...hmm...
Then again, two of the people offering here are from Poland...hmmm.
I'll have to think about it, I suppose. :/

I'll be posting the script after I give it another run-through to see how bad some of the dialogue is. Some of it's pretty...cheesy. :P

Edit: Oh yeah, I know this may be...I dunno, a bit much on the request end, but, do you guys (the team, Iron Claw Interactive) think ya could give a holler on the News when filming starts that I'm lookin' fer people (well, IF filming starts, I'm not sure I'll get everything organized or keep at it long enough)? It sure as hell helped me with my other project. :P
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:53 am

I live in the US (East coast) and can run a small server.....5 people including me due to bandwidth. :? I've had Drakhon on my server and he pinged about 150 if I remember correctly. It stands to reason other Europeans should ping similarly. If 4 actors plus you will get the job done, then I am willing to help. My server no longer runs WQ3 full time but I can certainly turn it on anytime that's convenient. You can ping 68.66.18.67 to get a fix on your connection to me. I'll keep checking back here for further info. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:45 am

83-98ms! Nice! :D Yeah, that'd be a real big help, Red Neckerson.

The main thing about me having a high-ping to the server is I dunno what kind of...side-effects I may get from filming, ya know? I don't know that for sure, but, still, I don't like, wanna take any major risks, ya know what I mean?

With this server here that Red's offering, things would be fine. I've used East Coast servers before (they're my damn standard pretty much) and have been a-okay. (and Icelandic servers...don't ask, that's a bit of a long story)

Anyways, this sounds good. 4 people, plus myself as in including? Hmm. I guess I could have my dad's PC running as the camera (most of the shots are stationary) so I could be runnin' around. Would be nice to see what the hell it's like to act in machinima for once (mostly I just direct ;)).

Ai, and I forgot to mention I got two pals who're wanting to pitch in, too. 3, actually, if you count Lognoreng. A Swede, a Norwegian, and a dude from Virginia (US, basically)....ahh, isn't the internet grand? :) Not sure how "available" they are, though. I'll check tomorrow, I suppose.

So, well, if this is all kinda agreed on, I suppose we might wanna set our first filming date. Well, if it's all cool, that is. Heh. :)

I'll go take another look through the script now to finalize it (heh, and it's called The Final Gunfight - get it? Eh? Eh? ;D) so I can post it up for y'all to see. It'll be good to get acquainted with it since it'll help me not have to describe WTF is going on so damn much, but also will help ya kinda...get the feel of what you're doing a bit better.

Anyways, thanks for the help so far, everyone! I'm hoping maybe this thing will go through. Oh, and sorry I haven't replied in a while. Got sick, and been kinda busy.
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:51 am

If any Europeans participate in this venture, then it will have to be on a Sunday morning or afternoon (USA time) since that's the only day I'm home early enough to hook up with European gamers. Otherwise it would be VERY late at night for those guys. Keep us informed. :)

EDIT: I can also give you and the actors temporary access to my TeamSpeak server for the filming. That way you can give direction without spending a lot of time typing. Provided everyone involved in the project can speak English of course! :P
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 am

A Teamspeak Server? Could be interesting. :) I'm not sure I'll go for that, as I can type quickly, and I don't want it to limit the amount of people we got goin'. Thanks for offering, though, man. 8)

As for filming, how about this Sunday? Can ya do this Sunday (the 27th)? I dunno what time, I'll have to talk to my pals who're interested.

If anyone here who offered is still watching, what do you guys think? Eh? Hehe.

So yeah...food for thought. Oh and don't worry, I won't take 6 days to reply this time. I've been kinda...distractted as of late. :P
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:44 pm

Houston, we have a problem! I got a new motherboard for my server and was preparing to install it when I discovered my thermal grease is missing. So, my server is completely dismantled at the moment. It will not be ready by this Sunday (tomorrow). :oops:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:12 am

D'oh!!

Damn. Eh, just as well, I suppose. I wasn't 100% sure everything was gonna go through anyway. Still need more planning to be done. Need to get into the groove and all that. :P

When ya gonna be all hooked back up again, doc?
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:12 pm

Hopefully by tomorrow night. I may be out of town next Sunday though. Not sure yet. The Sunday after that is Mother's Day. :? If you'd rather have more than 4 actors, I'm hosting a LAN party May 24th. Maybe that's too long for you to wait...maybe not. It's an idea though. At any rate, it looks as though May 18th could be my next opportunity to do this. It's too bad about my server....today would have been a perfect day to do it.

If you don't want to wait on me to do this, I will understand if you find another host to proceed with your film and I will not be insulted. If you can't find another acceptable server, and don't mind waiting, I'll still be happy to help in a few weeks. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby EvilFutsin » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:44 am

Eh? LAN Party? How would I get the filming done there? I'm not sure persons can log onto LAN-based servers from afar. :P Could be wrong, correct me if so. More than 4 actors would be nice, but getting more than that amount of people all briefed, I dunno...it depends on what sort of LAN you're talking of. If it's you and some buds gettin' together for some WQ3 or something, and they're cool for it, sure, maybe.

May 18th or so sounds fine to me. Yeah, it's far away, but it gives me lots of time to get everything all planned out and ready and get everyone primed. But, ya know, it doesn't have to be on a Sunday, too. *shrug*
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Next

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel